Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fugawi maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fugawi maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

I'm not sure that the Go hardware is necessarily suitable for a topographic map product, as I've already explained.

Meanwhile, Lutz has just set out some concerns I share (and alluded to earlier in the thread) about the unsuitability of the Go hardware for use outdoors.

David

As you say, you are not sure if the Go IS capable, TomTom Are sure it IS.

Lutz may have set out some concerns, BUT,

Nobody mentioned about WALKING with it, it would be used for DRIVING OFF ROAD. Rally's etc.

So Battery life isn't an issue

Needing to be waterproof isn't an issue

Carrying isn't an issue.

TomTom designed it, TomTom know it's capabilties. TomTom KNOW it COULD be used for Off- Roading, if software is available.

There may well be other platforms available NOW, but TomTom are saying what the GO could be used for, and prepared to do something about it.

I'm also not stating it's available NOW for off-roading, it's something to IMPROVE it.

I never stated that TOMTOM had promised anything, just that they ARE prepared to pass it ON to their SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're taking a statement from someone at TomTom Support that topographic maps have gone onto the wishlist as proof that the hardware is suitable. I think that's reading too much into the email you've got.

Someone in Support noting down your suggestion and passing it to the development team is a very different thing to the development team considering the demands of topographic software and the capabilities of the hardware, then making a definite decision as to whether or not the hardware is suitable. As I said earlier, the Go hardware is likely to be have been cost-reduced fairly aggressively; the market for PNDs such as Go is increasingly competitive.

If you accept the limitations on usage of the Go hardware away from a vehicle, as you apparently now do, that cuts the likely market for a topographic product on Go significantly. There certainly are Go owners who could make use of topographic mapping, but I maintain my concern that there isn't a sufficient market for the product to justify the development costs.

I'd think the number of Go users who use their Go in a 4x4 or other off-road vehicle and who are prepared to pay for topographic mapping is fairly small. I'd think there's more of a market for handheld GPS like functions, such as tracks, waypoints and a simple position read-out - but that hasn't appeared yet.

For use in the UK, the cost of licensing Ordnance Survey mapping is substantial, and makes up much of the cost of a topographic mapping product. Considering the limitations of the Go hardware, I'm not sure many people would justify that expenditure when they could have a much more flexible system based on other hardware - be it Pocket PC, Palm OS, or one of the handheld GPSes which has topographic mapping available. My feeling is that most topographic users are using Pocket PC.

I'm always interested in seeing products that make the best possible use of people's hardware - but I won't be holding my breath for topographic software on Go.

David
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll believe the EXPERTS TomTom. They say IT CAN be done. They also say the GO's hardware IS CAPABLE, they know what it can or can't be used for,.

I'll look forward to seeing some sort of off roading map being produced.

So let's leave it to the Experts at TomTom.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have not said the hardware is suitable. Support have put the request onto the wishlist but that's a very different thing, as I said in my last post, from the development team confirming that a worthwhile topographic mapping product is feasible on the Go hardware.

Your reply from TomTom Support is here. It says that they'll pass your suggestion to their software developers - nothing more. It's not a promise to produce topographic mapping, nor does it confirm that it's technically feasible, however much you want to keep asserting it does. "Proof by repeated assertion" is not a form of proof at all.

It is very unlikely that whoever wrote to you at TomTom Support has developer level experience of Go. Such people, even in a small company (which TomTom is not these days) would not routinely be answering general support messages, especially not those that require any technical experience to answer. I have had contact from the TomTom developer team in response to a message sent to Support, but it wasn't in the direct reply I got from Support. One of the developers got in contact with me over that issue some weeks later.

I've never yet come across a Support department that doesn't keep a wishlist and pass it on to the development team; it's one of the easiest and cheapest ways of finding out what people are looking for in your products. Just because something goes on the wishlist doesn't mean it's implemented, I've already given a counter-example that shows this is not true.

If you want me to spell it out, someone once asked that a particular feature was added to one of my former employer's products - namely support for more general network hardware in one of our print servers so that there was support for a particularly unusual type of printer supported just by this one product on the customer's network - was rejected by the developers. To comply would have required the product to be extensively if not completely rewritten; the request broke one of the fundamental design decisions underlying the code.

Adding topographic mapping is pretty much asking for a completely separate software package to the street navigation one supplied with Go; it's a major undertaking just for the software development. The kind of software features needed are quite different to those for street navigation.

You can keep on making the same assertions, but there is no statement that the hardware is definitely suitable in the reply you posted in the forums, let alone any promise that the suggestion will go any further than the wishlist.

Further, if I subject this thread to the analysis of logical fallacies, quite apart from your repeated assertions (which are in no way proof that a feasibility study has been done - however much you use bold and SHOUT), I notice that you've given up arguing the general point, and are now arguing purely against one fairly incidental point - a so called straw man. You're attacking my contention that the hardware may not be suitable, rather than addressing the wider selection of problems that would have to be overcome to justify the cost of developing and marketing a topographic map product for Go. If my concerns about the suitability of the hardware are shown to be unfounded (as I have acknowledged they may be), that doesn't mean that a topographic mapping product will be released.

Your repeated references to the message from TomTom Support is an example of argumentum ad verecundiam - the fallacy of appeal to authority. I do not believe TomTom Support are an authority on developer level technical details of TomTom Go. I cannot prove this, but it's very unlikely that TomTom will waste money training user support personnel on technical design details of their products when they don't need this knowledge to do their job, nor is it likely that software developers are answering general support messages.

My experience is that those with the most detailed appreciation of what certain products are capable of are those that designed them; there are times in the job I've already referred to when I'd talk to colleagues who designed particular code segments or hardware as they would have a more instinctive understanding of the problem than I would.

Maybe you'd like to drop the whole argument now.

TomTom Support have put your suggestion of topographical mapping on the wishlist - I agree. A topographic mapping product for Go may be released at some point - I agree. Topographic mapping on Go would extend user choice and the flexibility of the Go product for existing owners and should be welcomed if it does appear - I agree.

I will also agree that the lack of announcement of a topographic mapping product for Go to date doesn't mean that there's not one in development.

However, as I have explained in this thread, I have grave doubts that such a product, given its likely rather limited applications compared to topographic mapping software already on the market for hardware in a not significantly more expensive price bracket, is economically feasible.

Even if the doubts I have as to technical feasibility are unfounded, economic unfeasibility means there will be no topographic mapping for Go. As I have acknowledged all along, the hardware may be suitable for topographic mapping software, but knowing the pressure to keep costs down on a product like Go, it may be that one consequence of "cost down" is that the hardware isn't really suitable for topographic mapping.

I return to where I came in. If you want topographic mapping in addition to street navigation, the best course of action is to buy hardware for which both types software product are available (because street navigation and topographic mapping are so different, I am not aware of a single software product that provides both - it's a little like the difference between vector and bitmap graphics software). Opinions clearly differ as to whether we will see topographic mapping available for Go, but there's plenty of reasons to conclude that we won't and, I contend, few that we will.

On the other hand, if your only use for a GPS system is street navigation and you would have no use for a PDA, Go is an excellent choice that is well worth considering.

David
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i stated let's leave it to TomTom, They are the Experts in this matter.

argumentum ad hominem
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

Large snip

(because street navigation and topographic mapping are so different, I am not aware of a single software product that provides both -

Another large snip.

David

Just to point out, it already has been done combining both street and off roading software, in an "all in one" unit".

So it should be possible to have similar software for the Go.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please chaps, this is all getting a bit out of hand.

All we know is that TomTom have agreed to add it to the wish list. It is likely - though by no means certain - that it is technically feasible. It will be a commercial decision by TomTom whether or not it happens - based on their perception of increased sales versus development costs. There is currently no commitment on their part to do anything other than "look at it".

Any further assertions can only be based on pure speculation - unless either of the protagonists has a direct route into TomTom's mind - which I doubt!
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Like i stated let's leave it to TomTom, They are the Experts in this matter.

argumentum ad hominem

Like i already said this before.

TomTom are the experts, and know what the Go can/can't do.

DaveW wrote:

No - the Go is a device dedicated to the navigation software supplied with it.

This is what the discussion was mainly about, it only needs the right software to be written for it.

So like you say, let leave it to TomTom,
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:

This is what the discussion was mainly about, it only needs the right software to be written for it.

No, with respect, this is NOT what this discussion is about!

This discussion is about two people who have conflicting views about TomTom's intentions each try to prove that they are right.

And it's all getting very BORING!
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
gingernut777 wrote:

No, with respect, this is NOT what this discussion is about!

This discussion is about two people who have conflicting views about TomTom's intentions each try to prove that they are right.

And it's all getting very BORING!

It is what the discussion is about.

I mentioned that TomTom says it is possible to have software for off roading, as they know the TT Go inside out, so they know what they are talking about., but as always, someone believes they know better than TomTom. I believe that the designers of equipment know better than anybody what their product can do, not me or DaveW, i got my information from TomTom,.

Plus if it's getting boring, why read it, you could always watch repeats on TV.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:

I mentioned that TomTom says it is possible to have software for off roading, as they know the TT Go inside out, so they know what they are talking about.

Except that TomTom is an organisation rather than a single omniscient being - and people have a tendancy to quote the (possibly unauthorised) utterings of individuals from that organisation which happen to suit their point of view.

gingernut777 wrote:
Plus if it's getting boring, why read it, you could always watch repeats on TV.

Unfortunately, since I have contributed to this thread, I get an email every time anyone else posts anything. Maybe I will resolve to ignore any further emails relating to this thread!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Please chaps, this is all getting a bit out of hand.

All we know is that TomTom have agreed to add it to the wish list. It is likely - though by no means certain - that it is technically feasible. It will be a commercial decision by TomTom whether or not it happens - based on their perception of increased sales versus development costs. There is currently no commitment on their part to do anything other than "look at it".

Any further assertions can only be based on pure speculation - unless either of the protagonists has a direct route into TomTom's mind - which I doubt!

I think that says it all.

The time has come to draw this thread to a close. Let's let this thread stand and fall away down the TomTom Go page as new threads are made. That will stop bothering anyone who's got it on watch (though you can unwatch a thread you're watching with the link under the last post - it changes to something like Unwatch this topic).

Much as it makes me uncomfortable to use a moderator's privileged function to finish this, I'm going to lock the thread. I think everyone interested has had ample opportunity to say what they wish.

I'll let the post from TomTom Support have the last word. Gingernut's message from TomTom Support can be found here.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: