Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user - silly question (probably)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user - silly question (probably)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: New user - silly question (probably) Reply with quote

Just got a TomTom go for Xmas (early pressie) :o - so am getting used to it slowly- I have downloaded the 'safety' camera database, but do I have to update/download new roads/ road layouts etc? and if so where from? (apologies if this is a daft question) - but I know that people with 'built in-car' sat nav, have to buy an updated disc yearly!
Thanks for any help
gagetman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paula,

I to am a new TomTomGo user. Just got it yesterday. I do not know if you can update the maps etc as I have not got that far yet. What I am having problems with is installing the camera database. I have downloaded the database, unzipped it and then tried to move the relevent OV2 and BMP files to the SD card. I have put them in the great-britain-map folder on the card. I cannot get the icons to show up in the POI activate/deactivate menu on the TomTomGo. What am I doing wrong? What did you do to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.
gagetman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just worked it out. Bought new from Amazon and it has old software in it. I have updated to the latest version from the TomTom site and everything is working fine now. Does anyone know if there is anything else I should be looking for if my GO was produced before the September software update. I am pretty narked off with Amazon for selling something to me that is not the latest version. What does anyone else think?
paula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest version - but not sure how often it has to be updated?? (If Ever??)
paula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gagetman"]Paula,

From memory (I done this about 10 days ago) - I sent the the file to Tom Tom Go - and have to admit wasn't sure if what I done was right at the time - but think that if you now if you go to Change preferences and maintain POI then click warn when near POI - (Hopefully) the Gatso camera categories will appear?? Hope that helps - the only other thing you could try is 'sending' them to Tom gain, just incase it didn't work first tiem! Sorry if this makes no sense - but to be honest, when I done it, it was more luck thean judgement!
On a brighter note - when you get it up and running - it's great - just be ready for the 'alert' sound - otherwise it'll give you a heart attack when you are getting near to one Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you easy instructions, as I don't have a Go, but the position is this.

There have been various updates to the Go software - they're available for the TomTom web sites if your Go doesn't have the latest software.

There have been no map updates available to buy yet. I expect there'll be an update available to buy sometime in 2005 - but when and how much it will cost remains unknown as yet. The only TomTom product older than a year is TomTom Navigator on the Pocket PC. So far, that's had two upgrades that include new maps - the last one cost about 40 pounds by the time it hit your credit card (TomTom charged in Euros).

There's no compulsion to buy an updated map, but most users like to have the latest possible maps. Do not expect free map updates - there is a fairly significant licence cost in issuing a map update.

The Pocket GPS World speed camera database is reissued monthly, around the beginning of each month (though the next update is likely to available a few days before 1 January).

David
paula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info - I'll keep my eye out for the gatso update.

Happy Christmas

:P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: