Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Palm T3 - Map Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Palm T3 - Map Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KultiVator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: TomTom Palm T3 - Map Question Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bit the bullet and bought the TomTom kit for my Palm T3 - and have been quite impressed with it. VERY handy in strange city centres!

Anyhow, my Kit came with Version 4.1 of the software - but Version 300 of the UK map. I upgraded to V4.4 (on a fresh half-gig SD Card, rather than overwriting the original 128MB TomTom supplied card) but have noticed that the UK map supplied with the update is the older V280 edition.

Is it possible for me to get the best of both worlds - e.g. V4.4 Navigator running with the later V300 UK map, just by migrating a few files - or is the V4.4 intrinsically linked to the V280 map?

I did try the obvious task of copying my "Great_Britain Navigator Map" from the TomTom V4.1 card to my V4.4 card - without luck, so I am guessing that there is a bit more to it than this!

All help and suggestions are very welcome.

Kind Regards,

KultiVator
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map isn't issued as an update to the program so when you update the program all you are doing is updating the program and not the map. I don't know why you are seeing a difference in map version.

Did you copy the contents of your TomTom SD card to your new one and then do the upgrade on this ?
KultiVator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Dave.

I basically setup V4.4 from scratch on a new SD card. From memory, part-way through the install, the setup program asks for the TomTom CD and I guess that this is where the map data is being extracted from. So this means that my TomTom SD Card has GB Map V300, whereas my TomTom CD has V280... seems a bit naff!

Anyhow, I will follow yor advice and duplicate my original TomTom card and try upgrading it and let you know the outcome. Hopefully the setup program will spot that the V300 maps are already resident on the card and not overwrite them.

It's a shame that TomTom's own Customer Support Staff have not been as forthcoming with suggestions. Confused Their responses so far seem to be of the preset robotic & plain uninformative variety - stating their policy on map upgrades once every 12 months but not knowing when the next upgrade will be available. Especially disappointing given that I don't want to upgrade - just install the version that I already had at time of purchase on a different card!.

Grumble grumble! :D

Great product - maybe just a little more effort needed in supporting customers, if they intend to grow their user base in a sustained way.

Thanks again for your help - I will be back with an update.
KultiVator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Update On Progress... Reply with quote

Tried the suggestions made earlier and the result was once again...

V4.4 of Navigator for Palm
V280 GB Map

...all this despite having V300 maps prior to the install/upgrade!

Also, this upgrade approach triggered the TomTom activation process - which I'd heard about, but not seen before. In fact, seeing this Activation alert got me hopeful that I'd cracked the problem and was about to see V300 maps with V4.4 of Navigator!

So, as a result of this muddled situation, I have done some digging and find that the key differences between my V4.1 card and my V4.4 card are the following files from the "TomTom" directory...

Munich.bin
Data.chk

(I checked the files using an MD5 hash calculator - so I could truely compare the contents of the other files - which all checked out identically.)

So going forward, I tried the next logical steps and changed some files around, testing various possibilities. The outcome is as follows...

Munich.bin (V4.1) + Data.chk (V4.1) = Navigator V4.1 + GB Map V300
Munich.bin (V4.4) + Data.chk (V4.4) = Navigator V4.4 + GB Map V280
Munich.bin (V4.1) + Data.chk (V4.4) = Fatal Exception!
Munich.bin (V4.4) + Data.chk (V4.1) = Fatal Exception!

So it looks to me that these two files contain the main executable code for Navigator itself and also the bulk of the GB map data - not what I expected, given the small file sizes of these two files. My results also seem to indicate that these two files are intrinsically linked, judging by the Fatal Exceptions when they are incorrectly paired together!

So, for the moment, I seem to be stuck with either the latest version of TomTom and older maps or the later maps and a V4.1 build of Navigator which lacks the custom POI functionality that I really want! I also get the feeling this is why TomTom Customer Support have been less than forthcoming with advice! Rolling Eyes

Of course, I am secretly hoping that I've missed something really obvious and that the solution is incredibly simple! Not that V300 GB maps include the M6 Toll or the A43 Silverstone bypass though!

But I would still be pleased to hear from ANYBODY ( Laughing ) with any sensible ideas on a way forward.

Best Regards,

KultiVator

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: