Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - separate speed cams POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

separate speed cams POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: separate speed cams POIs Reply with quote

Hi all,

A few stretches of roads in Leeds are littered with speed cams very close together and often the speed limit changes within yards of each speed cam so it is difficult to be sure what the speed limit is ,I honestly feel this is unsafe as drivers spend more time looking for small speed limit signs than they do looking at the road.

I suppose that it would be possible to split the speed cam poi database into three sub groups of say 30, 40 and 50 . Each could have its own bitmap of the speed limit sign so when approaching a cam the correct speed icon would flash. Are there any plans to do this in the future?

I realise that this would be a lot of work , but if it helps I would update all the ones in Leeds area.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

We strive to keep the databases as up-to-date as possible. You may notice that some of the cameras now have the @ symbol with a two digit number. This represents the speed limit for that camera.

At the moment we only have a very small percentage of cameras with an indicated speed limit, although I’m hoping that the vast majority of cameras in Oxfordshire will be done soon. ;) We may, in the future, provide the option of a split database so that different alert sounds and icons can be used for each speed limit. However this depends on having most of the cameras updated with a speed limit.

If you could provide updates of cameras in any area then that would be appreciated. Please give the camera number and speed limit. Please also report any new cameras (and their speed limit) as well as moved or removed cameras.

Don’t forget that this is a free service provided for the members by the members of this forum.

All updates should be sent to Richard (Oldie), our hard working camera database administrator, at:

Cameras [at] PocketGPSWorld [dot] com

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, not enough of the cameras in the DB have been identified as being within a certain speed limit yet. As more and more people are supplying data, so the required information on each camera is being provided. When enough cameras have been accredited with a speed limit, and I don't know when that will be, then I think the plan is to separate the cameras into different files based on speed limit.

Now is your chance to do your bit, so start logging the limit each camera you pass is in and send your information in.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent in a large collection of information to Richard since the last update - in particular a comprehensive re-survey of the A41 between the A406 North Circular Road and Lords and about 15 camera speed limits that are missing from the database, mainly in Bedfordshire. Many of these speed limits had been reported previously, but hadn't got into the database, so it's worth checking back through any previous submissions to confirm that speed limits you sent in are recorded in the database.

My update also includes a handful of speed cameras that weren't in the database at all, information on some bus lane cameras that are mistakenly in the database as either speed or red light cameras (such as Gatso 3200 - which is a bus lane camera - if you look at it, it would be a really daft place for a speed camera as it's on one of the entry roads to Hyde Park Corner), identifying a couple of points in the Gatso file that are mobile sites and identifying a couple of points in the Gatso file that are temporary roadworks cameras.

In subsequent emails, we've also managed to tidy up a couple of other cameras that were wrong in north London.

If everyone can find a few minutes to go through the current database and submit speed limits for any cameras they know about that lack limits (something which is now fairly easy to check), hopefully we'll soon get to the point where a release categorised by speed is worthwhile. Richard can work from an email that contains the camera number and speed limit, though it's a good idea to give a description of the camera position to provide some security against errors.

Information on cameras in the Gatso file that are actually red light cameras, temporary cameras or mobile sites is also useful.

If there's any bus lane, CCTV or Trafficmaster cameras that have mistakenly got into the published database, please tell Richard what is at the location rather than just reporting it as a false location. Richard keeps records of bus lane camera locations (and he may keep records on the others as well) to stop mistaken future reports leading to these sites getting back into the published database.

David
manicguitarist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: separate speed cams POIs Reply with quote

bestyman wrote:
Hi all,

A few stretches of roads in Leeds are littered with speed cams very close together and often the speed limit changes within yards of each speed cam so it is difficult to be sure what the speed limit is ,I honestly feel this is unsafe as drivers spend more time looking for small speed limit signs than they do looking at the road.

I suppose that it would be possible to split the speed cam poi database into three sub groups of say 30, 40 and 50 . Each could have its own bitmap of the speed limit sign so when approaching a cam the correct speed icon would flash. Are there any plans to do this in the future?

I realise that this would be a lot of work , but if it helps I would update all the ones in Leeds area.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Can we please be honest and not call them speed cameras...

They should be called
Revenue Cameras
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don’t call them safety cameras! Gun Shoot Out
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have updated the east Leeds ones and got west Leeds to do and will finish those next time Im round thereas not 100% sure of limits from meomory.

Just incase any newbies don`t realise how simple it is simply
1. go to browse map
2. magnifying glass icon then find home
(blue icon at bottom , not sure what it is)
4. find nearby POI
5. then, pocketgps uk gatso

The nearest one to your home will have a number( select this to see a map of where it is) then if you know the speed limit email it will cam location and number. Repeat for 2nd, 3rd nearest cam etc.

Thats it, and if anyone lives on kirkstall road/new road side/stanninly by pass, let me know and save me a trip!

Many thanks for all the hard work done by the admins of pocket gps.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: