Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DC Power on TTG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DC Power on TTG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: DC Power on TTG Reply with quote

I have an 04 Laguna and wish to connect the DC power to the TTG - in the centre arm rest box there is an additional 12v socket where I can connect the supplied DC power lead to - problem is it won't reach the TTG. I planned on buying 2mtrs of cable and a DC plug and socket to make an extension lead - then I can bury it under the carpet at bring it up behind the dash. Problem is I have been to the local Maplin store and tried every DC plug and socket possible and none fit - they seem to use there own plug/socket size (ala Sony).

Anyone managed to buy a plug and socket yet ? If so can you let me know or if any of you reading are retailers and can sell me one.

BTW I bought the external aerial as the windscreen was a real problem, I used to receive no signal at all - but with the aerial 9 - 11 satellites every time.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of doing it the other way round, i.e. by buying a cigarette lighter socket and plug, and extending that end of the lead? You could probably hide that somewhere too.
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Have you thought of doing it the other way round, i.e. by buying a cigarette lighter socket and plug, and extending that end of the lead? You could probably hide that somewhere too.

Carl - good option - my first preference is the other way to keep things as neat as possible as the lead on the supplied DC cable is curly and so highly sprung that I can see it being a pain.

But good thought - thanks.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not insert a bit of cable in the middle? You will have to make 2 joints, but they can be as small as you like with any suitable connector. The smallest is solder with heatshrink tube over.
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
Why not insert a bit of cable in the middle? You will have to make 2 joints, but they can be as small as you like with any suitable connector. The smallest is solder with heatshrink tube over.

Thanks for reading this and posting - not sure I get where you mean on this one - insert in the middle of where ? Sorry but hey it is Friday night !
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Maplins do have a plug Reply with quote

Hi,
I made my own power supply complete with plug for power supply at rear of tomtom Go .
The thread is here.

The plug was purchased from Maplins at Leeds and was the type that pluged into two prongs on a power cable so the polarity could be reversed.

Lost the receipt Im afraid but 100% sure that they do sell them.

Regards
Mark
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Home made power supplies for TTG Reply with quote

Bestyman,

Glad to hear you managed to build a power supply for your TTG.

One comment though..... you have trusted your 500 GBP TTG to a basic 78 series linear regulator without also employing a crowbar circuit. This circuit would blow the fuse if ever the regulator failed and tried to deliver 12v to the TTG.

To use your psu without such protection is brave as I often have to repair equipment that has been damaged by a failed 78 series regulator. Don't get me wrong , the regulator you have used is OK for the job but it is a very simple, cheap animal so you can't expect it to be perfect. It aslo tends to get pretty hot.

Most car chargers are switching regulators and these, if designed properly, are very reliable and low risk.
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the advise as to be perfectly honest what I know about transformers could be written on the back of a stamp. At the time tomtom did not sell the cig lead as an extra but only the other day I was thinking if I should buy one but as the one I have is working it goes to the back of my things to do list .
Your right about it getting hot. As an afterthought I housed it in a metal box and also fitted a heatsink and it still gets warm..erm hot ! Rumor had it that tomtom chargers were going mad and blowing tomtoms so this was my trump card ;O).
Seriously, do you think I should invest in said cig lead?
Also, I think I remember the jack plug been a 1.6mm, does that sound right to you?
Cheers
Mark
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilot,

I meant cut the wire on your car charger. Solder in a length of wire between the two bare cut ends. You then have a longer cable with the same ends that you know will fit.
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: DC Power on TTG Reply with quote

pilot wrote:
Anyone managed to buy a plug and socket yet ? If so can you let me know or if any of you reading are retailers and can sell me one.

Hi,

I got one of these: http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2251.html

As I think trailing leads look awful in any car, I did not really want to use the cigar lighters on my Esprit. I have wired this unit in my glovebox so I can use the TTG’s own power adaptor. This unit alone is a SUPERB Mod as it means Phone/PDA chargers etc can be kept out of the way for just £1.50 a small price for de-cluttering your car, and more practical if your lighter socket are in the doors, as are mine.

I also did a review for the lotus guys
(plugging PGPS of course!),
I 'think' you can see this link
without being a member...

http://cgi.unity1.plus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1410
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Official TTG cig charger Reply with quote

Bestyman,

Yes I would recommend buying the "official" TTG cig lighter charger.

I understand that there were some problems with the charger but it would appear that a new charger is now supplied. On another furum we discovered that early TTG's had a 12 Volt only Cig lighter charger. I and others who bought a TTG recently have 12Volt/24 Volt units that work in Lorries. They may be more reliable ?

I tested mine (3 of them) With a 4.7 Ohm resistor as a load (I Amp) and they passed the test without problems and stayed cold.

I purchased two "extra mounts" direct from Tom Tom for about 16 GBP each.... a bargain. AND you don't risk your TTG warranty :-)

F
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a DC plug yesterday in a local Maplin store - the size is 4.0 x 1.7mm - cannot found an inline socket of the same size so have ordered a chassis mounted one from CPC and plan to mount this is a small box.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I amy be missing something but why not just buy an extension cable from Halford's?
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleng wrote:
I amy be missing something but why not just buy an extension cable from Halford's?

What Halfords extension lead - don't leave me on the edge here tell me all - where/ what type/ cost/ curly or straight ..... !!
zoomzoom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Halfords method. Silver unit with two female sockets and a cig lighter socket connected to a 1m cable and plugs straight into your existing cig socket. Hide all the junk behind dash/carpets and job done. Sells at £9.99. Some shops sell similar for cheaper but this suited me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: