Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - freeway sub renewal or traffic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

freeway sub renewal or traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: freeway sub renewal or traffic? Reply with quote

my freeway sub is due for renewal over the weekend £30 to tm or the 29 euro offer from tom tom for a year - what to do?

I tried the original free trial and wasn't impressed - I have a spare phone for gprs so thats not an issue just wondering what the accuracy is like compared to tm.

I really trust tm so am inclined to stick with what I know - it covers 80% of my normal 80-100 mile trip to and from work each day.

Any thoughts - either way?

Thanks

Ian
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about the same when my TM was up a couple of months ago, in the end I bought a 2 year TrafficMaster for £50, but I am tempted just to try this TomTom Traffic for the £20 it will cost. It will be nice to know if it is a bad as people say my TM is there as backup.

Having said all that, Trafficmaster has been a little slow recently, I've been using the RAC 1740 mobile service as it is more up to date. It's very expensive I know but as I work for the RAC and it's their mobile phone who cares Laughing
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really only two providers of traffic data in the UK - Trafficmaster and iTIS. I know that the AA Vodafone service (2222) used to be powered by Trafficmaster and is now powered by iTIS - I am not sure whether the same is true for the RAC 1740 service, but if it's working differently to Trafficmaster, the chances are it is using iTIS data.

TomTom Traffic uses iTIS data, so a cheap subscription to that may make sense.

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a high mileage driver and tested the initial Traffic release. My impressions were not good, the info provided was frequently hopelessly out of data and either reported jams no longer existed or I found myself sat in a 5 mile tail back with not a peep from Traffic so I stopped using it.

I've re-visited it in the last month and am delighted to report that it is much improved, no issues with accessing the traffic data and the information reported appears to be very much more current and only this week saved me from getting caught is a nasty snarl up on the M25.

So I would give it another go, TomTom have a Christmas Discount offer as well, register between 1st and 31st of December and pay 29 Euros instead of 49 Smile
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using my free trial for a couple of weeks before deciding whether to go for the full purchase.

Compared to my trafficmaster I do like seeing "the complete picture" of my route before I start rather than just before you hit a jam. Then if it doesn't look like it's getting smaller before you hit it you can drive around it.

As I use bluetooth for my car phone kit, I've had to get an orange payg sim for my old Nokia 6310i. It was quite a hassle getting the GPRS to work with the ipaq but that is a different story. I can help anybody if they have GPRS problems with a Nokia 6310i and Ipaq (mine is 3870).

Overall I'm impressed though, hold ups today to Leeds were exact on the M62, Trafficmaster was exact for delays and TTT was slightly over, but acceptable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: