Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rotating Map -vs- North at the top
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotating Map -vs- North at the top
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyEccles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Rotating Map -vs- North at the top Reply with quote

Hi all. I've been reading this forum for a while and found lost of useful information. Cheers.

I've been using the GO for 10,000 miles now and found it to be extremely useful and usable, especially nice to have the Camera database!

However, many OEM solutions for Satellite Navigation display a map which always has North at the top and the pointer (representing you) rotates instead.

On the GO, the pointer rotates according to direction, but so does the map. From time to time, I've found this to be mildly irritating/misleading - especially in tight city-centre situations where GPS reception is not all it could be, or in large roundabouts - more so if you have the voice instruction muted.

Furthermore, sometimes I want to look at the map on the screen to visit a nearby place, or choose a POI. In that case, I want to know whether that place is on my general route or not. In order to do that, I want North at the top of the map, and for it to scroll rather than rotate AND scroll...

Sorry for the rambling post, please tell me this is possible!

Cheers,
Andy
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you touch the bottom right of the screen when in use it will revert to a map view with north at the top. Hit middle "map" button on screen and you can look and scroll map.
AndyEccles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, of course. I hadn't thought to use that map It can be quite hard to zoom/scroll while you're driving though.

Is there a way to have the main screen map with North at the top, instead of the rotating thing?

It occurred to me that my request might not make sense - I use the birds-eye view on the main screen, not the 3d map.
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find the rotating thing much better than North at the top would be. That's the way I tended to use paper maps anyway! Confused

Certainly fo rthe bird's eye view, North at the top wouldn't make sense
AndyEccles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that it wouldn't make any sense. Imagine looking at autoroute express with your route drawn on it. The screen would scroll in the direction of travel - it makes perfect sense.

At the moment, the map scrolls in the direction of travel, and the map is orientated that way too.

Presumably, the GO can't have the operating map with North at the top.
Or not yet, at least.

For the 3d view, I'd agree that it wouldn't work, because "you" are always in the foreground of the map. I might switch back to the 3dview again to see how I get on.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used anything other than 3D mode... I find it very easy in this mode to see whether a POI is on your route.

The only problem I have had is the arrow not rotating fast enough (perhaps I should take roundabouts a bit slower though Rolling Eyes )
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm a bit confused Andy Confused

If North were always at the top, and I was travelling South, you mean the map would scroll down?

Personally I like that the map always scrolls up the screen, so that my direction of travel is always at the top, even if I'm going South. Somehow that makes more sense to me. I always hold paper maps that way too, even if it means holding the map upside down. That way a left turn really is on my left, etc.

But then I always was a bit strange Rolling Eyes
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 3D mode, the map is always 'track (ie direction of travel) up'. In 2D mode it is 'North up'. Don't confuse 2D mode with the 'browse map' function
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing fleng is incorrect in his statement
Quote:
"In 2D mode it is 'North up'."

I always use 2D mode and it operates in exactly the same way as the 3D mode - direction of travel is always upwards, to the top of the screen.

In my wifes Toyota, which has factory fitted Sat Nav, you can switch orientation from "North Up" to "direction of travel up" via a touch screen button press. She prefers the "North UP" view - and I always change it back to direction of travel!

As is often the case, personal preferences vary considerably!
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion you've been having. From my point of view these two map views have different purposes. The rotating 3D view is clearly best if you're only interested in getting to your destination without caring much about where you are actually going geographically (maybe this is the most common case in the every-day use).

The 2D view (north-up) on the other hand gives you a much better sense of directions and compares to how I read a paper map. I think it's nice to know in which direction I'm going - you tend to lose that information with the rotating view. I would say that the norht-up mode works best for sight seeing trips and for preplanning of your trips from your living room.

Regards,
Ulf
AndyEccles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ulf. Pleased you can see where I'm coming from!

The Audi S4 I just bought has factory nav. Whilst it's primitive compared to the GO, at least I can have North at the top!

Anyway, now we've established that, I assume this is NOT possible with the Tom Tom Go?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat's right. let's keep in mind that the GO is aimed at end users. Many a feature from full blown systems are missing. You'll have to live with that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Phil wrote:
I thing fleng is incorrect in his statement
Quote:
"In 2D mode it is 'North up'."

I always use 2D mode and it operates in exactly the same way as the 3D mode - direction of travel is always upwards, to the top of the screen.

I got it wrong - must have been thinking of a Quest or 510!

Sorry.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or TTN2!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TTN1 to TTN3 map mode is north up and Navigator mode is track up

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: