Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it really this bad
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it really this bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Is it really this bad Reply with quote

Reading the reviews abot TT Traffic it has put me off subscribing to it. I would appreciate if anyone could let me if there is any positive feedback and if its worth getting this product,.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe TomTom have stopped offering a free trial subscription - though I believe the trial is now for one month, not three months as it used to be.

If that is the case, the best thing to do is try it yourself and see what you think. It isn't perfect, but I found it good enough to pay for a year's subscription.

Basically, they're working with the best data they can. My understanding is that Trafficmaster will not make their data available for use in systems like TomTom Traffic, so the iTIS data is as good as it gets.

As a Traffic subscriber, I was sent a detailed questionnaire by TomTom earlier today, which I have answered giving full details of what I'm happy about and what I'm not happy about.

David
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply, i have subscribed to TT Traffic, I will let you know what think of it. So far I have managed to set it up without any problems, thanks to this site. 8) 8)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth saying that the Trafficmaster and iTIS data offer different things.

Trafficmaster as it tends to be faster to respond. However, the road coverage (apparently) and the depth of information (on things like roadworks and contraflows) in the iTIS data is superior to Trafficmaster. As I said, I liked Traffic enough to pay for a year's subscription.

David
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also got the email , it at least looks like they are trying , and i have found it to be rather good , because i have read a lot of bad things about ttt so i have often thought I'll go that way instead and bang i hit a traffic jam ,so i tend to trust them now
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
However, the road coverage (apparently) and the depth of information (on things like roadworks and contraflows) in the iTIS data is superior to Trafficmaster.
I'll agree with the second point (although there is an argument you only need to know about roadworks if there is an actual delay to your journey time, which TM will still tell you), however, I'm not so convinced about the first point.

iTIS are very vague (to the point of not giving any information at all) about their road coverage, whereas TM states exactly what they do and don't cover, and even provide a coverage map of the roads they cover (the iTIS coverage map states it shows where you can receive Classic FM, not the roads they actually cover).

<later> Hmmm, not as vague as I first thought....

From iTIS:
The incident information relates to approximately 10,500 point locations, covering 100% of the Motorway network and 75% of A/A(M) classification roads throughout Great Britain.

From Trafficmaster:
Trafficmaster, has the most comprehensive, accurate and dynamic traffic monitoring network in the UK.

However, they don't state their road coverage, and although they only have 7,500 locations, I believe they cover 100% of the Motorway network and 100% of the trunk routes - but I don't know how that compares to 75% of A/A(M) classification roads - I guess iTIS might have the edge in raod coverage overall.

However, it's the quality of data that's important, as opposed to the number of physical sensors.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: