Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mount suction wont stick?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mount suction wont stick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Mount suction wont stick? Reply with quote

Hi
Just recieved Tomtom Go unit and I'm very impressed with it.
I drive a Toyota Celica. The mount suction pad would not seem to stick to the celica windscreen. Ive now tried sticking the round plactic disc with sticky back to the top of the dashboard, this seems to stay firmly in place. The problem im having is that the suction pad doesnt even stay fixed in the round plastic disc. It seems to stay fixed for 30 seconds or so then it just comes loose. Im using the 'trigger' on the mount to withdraw the air from the suction pad but it just keeps falling out of the disc (even without the tomtom unit fitted)...as anyone else had this problem?..has anyone experienced a faulty suction pad, or is this problem normal for supplied mount?
Paul
mayor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its teh forst time that i have heard of it...... i can only say GOOD things about the clever design on the mount. I would suggest that you take it back to the retailer and get them to swap it as it clearly is not working.

By the way have you tried to stick it onto an ordianry glass window to see if it works?

good luck
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount suction wont stick? Reply with quote

eggo wrote:
Hi
Just recieved Tomtom Go unit and I'm very impressed with it.
I drive a Toyota Celica. The mount suction pad would not seem to stick to the celica windscreen. Paul

It took me a couple of goes to get it to stick to my windscreen ( BMW 3 series ) . I think the secret is you need to press very hard to sqweeze out all the air before locking it - and you have to apply the force at exactly right angles to the screen - not easy on a sloping screen just above the dash. After a couple of failures I tried it on a side window before discovered the technique . I installed mine about a month ago and its still solid as a rock .

Geoff
eggo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it would seem I have a bad mount, looking at the plastic sucker there appears to be a fine crease running from centre radialy out. I have just tried to apply it to a perfectly flat (no texture) work surface and it had completely lost all its suction after about 30 seconds. Looks to me like the vacumn it tries to create is being lost through this crease. Now wheres that superglue Laughing
Thanks for you help
Paul
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

TomTom do have an extremely good record for sorting poblems like this directly. If you have registered, just e-mail them from the support pages on the website. You have to pretend to read a FAQ before you can find the e-mail button.
nickbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I recently bought a TT Go and had exactly the same problem. I sent mine back and received a replacement the next day, which is rock solid ! By the way my retailer told me it was the first problem they had had with the suction pad Wink
fitshase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a tip elsewhere to use a small drop of washing up liquid in the suction part and then stick in on the windscreen/window.

Regards

Fitshase

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: