Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - plotting customers on a map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

plotting customers on a map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: plotting customers on a map Reply with quote

Hi there...

As part of my Job, I do lots of customer analysis for big retailers, and I would like to be able to plot a chart of a store, and all of the customers that shop there, so I can see where they are in relation to the store. I can get hold of eastings and northings for all of the stores, and of the customers. I particularly like the Memory map OS edition, and would love to be able to overlay customers positioning on this map, and print it out/ put into powerpoint. Does anyone know if its possible to import a big (about 2000) customers into memory map, and plot their locations with a small icon.

Or failing that, does anyone know of some decent software that might allow me to do this, for a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Any help would be much appreciated.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To transfer such a large amount of data into Memory-Map it would be best to create a Maptech Marks file and import it into the program. You say that you have the locations as Eastings and Northings. Most of the conversion programs around including my own POIConverter read positions as latitude/longitude pairs or OSGB references. However, recently I wrote a program for a Vodophone engineer who had his data in an Excel speadsheet in the form of SiteID, Easting and Northing. I could adapt this for you.

Have you considered using Microsoft AutoRoute to show your data. It could be a more appropriate solution, unless you have other plans for the use of Memory-Map OS 2004.
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive been looking for chance to get hold of this software anyhow, and If i can get it through expenses then I would be a happy chap Smile

Having said that, I'll check out the autoroute product- cheers

the 3d rotation of the map in front of the audience would blow them away, especially considering that they probably are not even aware that such technology exists.

is there any chance that I could get hold of the code you put together for your mate?

Thanks Again,

Andy
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vodafone (got it right this time Smile ) program was special in the way it interpreted the information in the SiteID column. So as it stands it would not be suitable.

Is your data in an Excel spreadsheet or a text file? Either way I could put together a conversion program for you. It would not take long, but I would need a sample of the data.
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....

Its currenlty in an excel spreadsheet, with only postcode in the first column, and thats it Smile
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I have finished the program XLSConverter. If you would like to try it then please email me and I will send it to you. The program will give you 3 options for the format of the output file. Both the TomTom Navigator overlay (OV2) and CSV text file can be read into my POIConverter program and output as Maptech Marks for MM Navigator. There is a help file included.

Have you looked at AutoRoute? The price at Amazon.co.uk for AutoRoute 2004 is lowest I have seen. Both the CSV and XLS files output by XLSConverter can be imported into AutoRoute.

Richard
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.... thats fantastic, thanks for all the help on this.

My email address is andyblissettxxx@hotmail.com (but please remove the xxx from this address as it should stop the bots picking up my address Smile)

I had a look at the website for autoroute, and it seemed ok, but I could not find a demo version to really give it a test, so im a bit in the chicken and egg scenario, not being able to test it without buying it. I'll have a look at some reviews i think.

I showed my boss the 3D aerial photo maps from MM and she was amazed, cant wait to show her the rotating version now. Im gonna see if i can port the rotation as a standard graphic to be used in powerpoint, but that will be a 'nice to have'

Thanks Again, i can see why this forum is so popular with the level of help i get.

Regards

Andy
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: easting and northing conversion Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I am also trying to convert a large spreadsheet with easting and northing into Lat and Long format.

I then intend to import into Autoroute.

Do you have a program that will do it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Microsoft's MapPoint product is designed for just this purpose, plotting sales terittories and extracting data etc.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for answering my own question....

For online conversion of individual positions

http://www.gps.gov.uk/formatdef.asp
http://www.gps.gov.uk/convert.asp

For Batch conversion software

http://www.qgsl.com/software/download.php
http://www.qgsl.com/software/gridiq.php

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: