Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
i actually have a contact who is on the BBC watchdog/Rogue Traders team, but really i dont feel it's come to that - not yet anyway.

haha - no, certainly not rogue taders. And you're right again, it's early days with these requests from us. If however 'head in the sand' seems to be the approach Tom Tom take then it may be an appropriate step.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
[cough]Watchdog[/cough]

I wondered when that old aditive would show itself. Why not complain to trading standards, oftel,, ofwat, NORAD, the White House.

If and when an update is ready, TomTom will let us ALL have a copy.

As TomTom have stated,

We do not have any map updates available at this time only those maps supplied, when we do have some map updates you will be duly notified.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delboy i wondered when your self rightous opinion would chirp in why not belt up.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:

As TomTom have stated,

We do not have any map updates available at this time only those maps supplied, when we do have some map updates you will be duly notified.

For the benefit of those hard of understanding, there have been shown to be multiple map versions in circulation on devices bought within days/weeks of each other. These map versions do contain significant differences. When asked point blank Tom Tom have stated otherwise (or obliquely said that none are 'available'). This is not being open and up front with your customers (presumably as retailers don't want to be stuck with the devices with the old map data preinstalled)
This in turn is an appropriate subject for a consumer affairs commentary.

There is clearly a difference of opinion here. That's fine. Please don't just restate your point. As I have proven here ( Wink ) that's just a waste of your time and others'
Tim
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ

Your abusive comments ARE noted and reported.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
OZ

Your abusive comments ARE noted and reported.

OZ's comment was no more dismissive than yours, which was, no doubt, his point.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmyo, dont get yourself stressed over this muppet.
A while ago when this site got the scoop on the upgrade they were giving guys a chance to go to a meet and try it etc. Well we all had our say on it and the muppet was up there with the front runners giving his 2cents worth, which he is entitled to do. It got rather heated and involved until Dave came in and told us all to pull our heads in.
Next i get a private message from delboy saying how he had e-mailed TomTom and was assured that no one had permission to show this update, i dont recall delboy posting that on the forum, in fact he seems now to be a yes man making bullets and getting others to fire them.If this e-mail was genuine, and i have no reason to think otherwise then why didn't you post it delboy?. It obviously got you feeling strongly about it.
So, this has other people feeling strongly so please let them have their say, or go and read another post.
Since i have been on this forum you have gone from (in your own words)
a legal eagle to an International truck company owner to an inspector of colons, i think that sums up the type of person we are dealing with here.
Visions of grandeur or voyuerism are not really at home here.
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: map versions Reply with quote

For what it's worth, after installing update 4.42 I found that the map version installed on the SD card that came with my TTG was still 314. When I checked out the contents of the CD that came with it, the GB map supplied is version 390, with a different folder name as observed by manicguitarist.

I used the CD utility to remove the existing GB map, and install the 390 map off the CD. The TTG then made me go to the ttcode web site and register the new map with a code it generated from the product code on the CD sleeve and the TTGs own code. I hadn't had to do that at all with the existing map on the supplied SD card, even after I copied the 128Mb card onto a new 512Mb card.

I then had a hiatus to start with as my favourites and POIs were still in the old-named folder, but moving the Great_Britain-Map.cfg file across to the new folder restored my personal settings.

What we need to establish from TTSupport is whether 314 and 390 really are different map versions; not whether the 4.42 update alters the map, which it clearly does not.

David
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: LOCKED Reply with quote

I can see this posting being locked.

Because members again are being Abusive to other members. Which is against the Terms and Conditions.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is being abusive?. If people want to come on here and antagonise people and misrepresent themselves for whatever reason then they need to be told. Healthy debate has never done any harm to anybody but dissmissing someone elses opinion is not very fair.
People are entitled to post their opinions here and whether you agree or not you should respect that view, what i cannot respect is this underlying trend of trying to start a disagreement and flame war at every opportunity by certain people. State your thoughts on the issue, fine but if you wade in with dismissive garbage then your sticking your neck out far enough for response.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Topic Stop!

You, OZ are being abusive, telling members to "Belt Up".

As you say, people are entitled to post their opinions.
EastUpper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnthepope wrote:
I have to agree with timmyo a very lengthy debate has been going on over on the Expansys forum regarding the differences between 314 and 390 maps.
I am still awaiting a response from TT supprt well over a week now.
Maybe if all of us with 314 contact support for the upgade they just may have to listen.

Where is this lengthy debate? I have been on Expansys and found a very short debate's but nothing that gets us any further forward.

Was it deleted for sharing information on how to get the V390 maps illicitly?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is being monitored. Please play nice. Police
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several threads on Expansys touching on this topic:

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=219&man=TOMTO

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=133&man=TOMTO

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=178&man=TOMTO
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enquired about the difference between the v314 and v390 maps last week and have just received the following reply (bottom of post). I must say, they are missing a big opportunity to stay ahead of the competition, in that I would happily pay a subscription to receive more up to date maps more frequently than annually, and am now fairly cheesed off to have just missed out on an apparent map update by a couple of months. Had I known a map update was imminent I would have waited before purchasing a little bit longer. Certainly, having recently driven quite a bit round Leeds and Darlington, there are a few roundabouts that I know have only popped up in the past few years that are absent / poorly labelled in v314. I have reported these map errors via the TT website to TeleAtlas, but why should I bother if all we are going to get are annual updates? I think my TTG is great, but TomTom are missing an opportunity to make it really great by giving is easy access to up to date mapping data. Just my 2p........

"Dear Mr Atkinson,

As new products are shipped the map data is updated from time to time.
We are unable to update the existing map data that you have at this time, This is normally done annually.
We are unable to update existing users every few months.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: