Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CF Plus II / Winfast Navigator NMEA Settings Explaination
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CF Plus II / Winfast Navigator NMEA Settings Explaination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: CF Plus II / Winfast Navigator NMEA Settings Explaination Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Yet another newbie here looking for a little help.
Just got an ipaq 2210 and Syson CF Plus II. When I first got the two working together, I think I was using NMEA; by using Winfast, I was able to see the SiRF data. I'm still successfully receiving the SiRF data but I can't see the NMEA data (just gobbledy gook on the development screen as per the wonderful tweaks feature).
I wish to be able to have the skill to switch from one to the other. I changed the Baudrate over and over again, com7 seems fine. Could someone enlighten me to what each of the the NMEA settings relate to on the command screen please, maybe I have accidentlt made an adjustment here? As in: GGA GLL GSA GSV RMC VTG and MSS,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiRF is binary code - that's why you see garbage. NMEA, on the other hand, uses ANSI only so you can read the text.

It's your own fault - you played with the fire when you switched to SiRF without reason. You should be able to get the receiver back to NMEA mode with Crux_View or maybe even with WinFast. If not, draining the battery will also reset it to NMEA, but that may take a long time.

There's tons of info on the NMEA sequences on the web. For example here

http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
soup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast response and warm welcome!
I wish to master switching from NMEA to SiRF so I don't considering it playing with fire; draining batteries seems a very amature way of switching between the two. I successfully switched from NMEA to SiRF (albeit by luck) so going the other way with the software I have must also be possible. Once I get a reply (or discover it) I will let you know so you have less fear of the kit you have.
Thanks for the sequences link; maybe I was not clear with my question. I am seeking what the above codes represent on the commands/NMEA screen and how changing them affects the results not what the actual strings themselves are telling me (for example if I change the setting GGA from 1 to 2 what will be difference)?
For your information, the strings I was receiving were not binary but a sequence of squares showing me the settings the wrong (see last picture of this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/winfastnavigatorppc.php).
Many Thanks,
soup
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soup,

the "squares" you were seeing are a result of a text viewer panicking when it has to display non-text (non ANSI) characters. Basically Byte values above 127.

The numbers in the GPS tool specify how often (every x seconds) a particular NMEA sequence should be sent from the receiver. The values can range frm 0 (this sequence will not be sent) to 20 (or so) .

For example, you may want to receive RMC every second, but GGA only every 5 seconds.

Only in very rare cases you need to change that (for example when a program expects VTG instead of RMC) . Sometimes navigation works but the number of sats is not displayed properly because GSA is switched off etc.

Did this help better?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
soup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's what I was after (each setting = time).
That now leads me to another question then (and thank you for your time). If I understand; using the default values (and not changing them as you advise) and therefore gathering data every second or 5 would lead me to believe this is very accurate and up to date information. If I was using the unit for walking guidance (as opposed to driving), would I have any gain slowing down data acquisition? I'm thinking along the lines of battery conservation (if significant) but maybe there could be other benefits?
Regards to the NMEA / SiRF switching; I have now switched back to NMEA using a factory reset on the card using Winfast but I can't recreate how I arrived at SiRF again (yet).
Thanks Again,
soup
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you walk you may not need the one second interval. Every 5 seconds should be good, too.

There is one more option - some of the newer SiRF chipsets support "trickle" mode. What this means is that you can influence the time the receiver needs to be on within the 1 second interval.

For example a value of 200 ms means that the receiver is on for 200 ms, gets a fix, sends the NMEA data, and then goes to sleep for 800 ms.

You won't get a five fold increas in battery life, but a good doubling of battery life is possible.

The risk is that 200 ms may not be enough to get the fix and you may see more dropouts.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
soup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: