Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM GO - dangerous roads/accident blackspots/queues POI?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM GO - dangerous roads/accident blackspots/queues POI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5ifthmedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM GO - dangerous roads/accident blackspots/queues POI? Reply with quote

Hi, just got the TTGO and if you are thinking of getting one - well get it! It's the most awesome piece of kit I have ever got. The design is great, the ablility to customise the maps is brilliant (yes I have Pizza Hut and a few other delights already in!) - the POI's are an inspired idea.

What I would like to know is a POI database for Hazards. Yes I have the gatso etc. database (already submitted some new ones for you all!) but despite what the Government says they aren't all in accident blackspots. I would love to see a hazard sign pop up to enable me to take extra care.

Also to make Tom Tom even better than it's competitors how about a "queues likely" POI? It would be good to set TTGO to warn a 1000 yards away that you are coming up to a possible queuing area and then get TTGO to re-route? Perhaps we can all add to it?

All in all I cannot complain one bit about TTGO. It works - it looks great in my car (well done to TT for making a proper windscreen mount that actually looks and feels solid). My 8 year old laughs everytime my girls voice tells me what to do. This has made my life easier - no more rows with my poor wife over directions, less worry for me as she is never likely to get lost on some benign work "course" she has to go on. Less worry if she is taking my baby daughter out for the day - brill...

I don't know if anyone else stumbled on TTGO the way I did. I was about to put my details in on Ebay for a Road Angel 2 then I spotted TTGO and thought - hang on a minute... I can have SATNAV AND gatsos for the same price... woooah.... 30 minutes later I had a TTGO ordered and I haven't looked back. Given the known limitations in laser detection (I've had 2 radar detectors and all laser detections do is let you know a fine is ont the way) how will Road Angel 2 keep selling? Although TTGO was no doubt a good product before, the new GATSO POI's have really made it in another class and wiped the floor with ROAD ANGEL.

Well done Pocket GPS for pioneering the database. A lot of us owe you a lot.

Great forum - take care and drive safely y'all!

Sean @ www.5ifth.co.uk
AlanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if we're talking at cross purposes, but there's an option in the "Find alternative..." preference to avoid roadblocks/holdups and recalculate a route. Obviously not the same as a category of POIs for "known traffic jams" Crying or Very sad
5ifthmedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanH wrote:
Not sure if we're talking at cross purposes, but there's an option in the "Find alternative..." preference to avoid roadblocks/holdups and recalculate a route. Obviously not the same as a category of POIs for "known traffic jams" Crying or Very sad

No, This is if you KNOW the block is ahead. This is about a database of accident blackspot and traffic jam areas - so you know when planning your route they are around - the same principal as the gatso poi database.

8O
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by adding accident blackspots you could only make poi of them not avoid them as this would require further software so the go only warn you of an accident blackspot

just as a side thought speed cameras ( i refuse to be pc about these ) should only be placed at accident blackspots 8O Rolling Eyes so the speed camera database should do you

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
5ifthmedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
by adding accident blackspots you could only make poi of them not avoid them as this would require further software so the go only warn you of an accident blackspot

- Oh yes, that is my point - a ding dong or whatever a mile before an accident blackspot can wake the driver up - and be a little more alert.

alix776 wrote:
just as a side thought speed cameras ( i refuse to be pc about these ) should only be placed at accident blackspots 8O Rolling Eyes so the speed camera database should do you

Mmmm, but they are not ALL in blackspots etc. The blackspots could include bad bends etc.. anyway my dead horse is now flogged... :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: