Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom go routing problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom go routing problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: tom tom go routing problems Reply with quote

Sad i have tt2 on a toshiba pda and have also just bought tom tom go......my mum also bought one at the same time as i was telling her how good tt2 is....and all i can say is i am very let down by tom tom go....it does not see some mini-roundabouts that have been there for ages........on the a4 in hammersmith it tries to tell me to turn right onto it even though there is a barrier there then i go down the a4 and go back under it and ttgo now see's it as a roundabout which it is not and never was with tt2....then it says to get in the right hand lane which is the one for going back the way i came tt2 never did this at this junction......my mum's one tried to take her down a one way street.....hammersmith broadway is no longer a roundabout when you get to it it say's at the end of the road turn left...then it keeps saying turn right turn right then all of a sudden turn left this is a problem when every turn is about 50m.....also it keeps you on the main route even if there is a better way down another street on the pda you could change the speeds for the roads so it was more user friendly...i find it somtimes takes you right around a main route when you can cut through another street in no-time.....
only had it a week and thinking of taking it backand using my pda again
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of map updates and miraculous fadings in map quality... 8O Unfortunately we've seen this on more than one occasion, newer maps cover larger areas but are confined to the same storage media size (256 MB in this case) - that's where filtering happens and it may or may not hit you... I do truly hope that the next map release will assume 512 MB or 1 GB as the storage standard (for example the US TomTom GO comes with one 1 GB card that is supposed to hold all of the US. )

You can do something about it - write your findings to both TomTom and TeleAtlas. It will take a while until they fix it, but at least you have done something about it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You can do something about it - write your findings to both TomTom and TeleAtlas. It will take a while until they fix it, but at least you have done something about it.

Or - for exactly the same response - you could write to Father Christmas & post your letter up the chimney....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever - but don't forget - you are only entitled to complaining AFTER you submitted the change request. It's like with elections. If you don't vote then you have no right to complain.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Whatever - but don't forget - you are only entitled to complaining AFTER you submitted the change request. It's like with elections. If you don't vote then you have no right to complain.

I would be very surprised if Rob-Bob received his Tom Tom Go free of charge simply by voting for it. I think the point at which he is entitled to complain is when finding that it doesn't work properly after parting with his hard earned cash - ie - now.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is always free to return the product if it doesn't satisfy his requirements.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: have just sent this question to tomtom Reply with quote

hi
i cannot belive that tom tom has turned a really good piece of software into such a bad product...i have a tt2 on a pda was very impressed with it so i bought a ttgo and convinced my mother to buy one aswell....the maps are terrible as it tried to send my mother the wrong way down a one way street....i work for bt(installing phones around chiswick, hammersmith and sherperds bush.....london)i find the new maps now see some new roundabouts but others that have been there for ages are not on the map....hammersmith broadway is no longer a roundabout and going round it using tt-go its very dangerous as it keeps saying keep right then all of a sudden turn left!!!!!!it tries to make you turn right onto a dual carriage way(a4)from a side road even though there is a barrier across the road.....at some junctions it makes you get in the right hand lane to cross the lights only for the right hand lane to merge back into the left hand lane across the lights,even though in the uk you are ment to be in the left hand lane to go straight on as per the highway code.another time going down a road about half way down it says turn left then at the end of the road it wants you to turn right,but the road is the same road all the way down on the map screen it shows you going straight down the road so the instruction to turn left is not needed....i never had these problems with the maps on tt2...im afaid you have got it very wrong this time and the tt-go is more trouble than its worth...it is ment to get you to your destination but all it keeps doing is getting you in the wrong lanes and tries sending you down roads that you cannot go down...at roundabouts some are now added but others are still not on the maps and others are no longer roundabouts and this is only for a small area of london...im sorry to say i cannot recommend this product anymore....just one last note the gps keeps losing signal all the time im using the latest patch but any obstruction the gps drops out and if i drive up a road and stop the map screen moves around as once stopped it does not know which way i am facing,but if i was driving that way when i stopped why does the software know this....if you want road names i can supply them
Cheers
Rob
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: tomtom reply Reply with quote

here is a reply from tomtom about all the map errors

You can report map errors or omissions now on our website. Go to the HOME Tab at the top of the webpage http://www.tomtom.com. Choose UK English. Go into the support Tab. Click MY TOMTOM on the left. Log into MY TOMTOM on our website. Once you have done this on the left click report map errors.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
i have replied with this email
see my previous question....i can see that you can update the maps but that is not what i paid for....if i update the maps will it update my tomtom go....if not will the latest map update software be given out free as the maps are so wrong......the mini roundabouts have been there for years....hammersmith broadway is now a very dangerous junction, now it is not a roundabout....how can the maps be so wrong why were they better with tomtom2.....i cannot see how the latest maps will try and make you turn right across a dual carriageway which has a barrier in the middle and has had it for 20 years plus......im sorry but if i cannot get a good enough answer i will have to take it back to the shop and get my money back as the maps are dangerous and will cause an accident one day...i will be posting all corrispondace on the gps website's as im sure all prospective customers would like to see how you address your problems with this product
cheers
Rob
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
You may have a faulty GPS unit in the TTG. My advice is to contact (by phone) the customer support and agree with thm to send it by DHL and then receive a new unit from them. Give it a chance.
Regards
Avi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: