Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
What, everytime I go on of off a dual carriageway??

No.

Are we talking about the same thing? Am I right in thinking you were saying you wanted the TT Go to alert you to an approaching POI? If you were and when you are on a road similar to the A1 then why don't you adjust the yardage warning TT Go gives you from 273 yards to one of around 1000.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mean.

If I want a safety camera warning. I have the distance set at 273 yds (the distance it came with). This is set for the 4 different sets, gatso, mobile,specs & redlight. In London at 30 mph the distance gives me nearly 20 seconds warning. On a 70 mph dual carriageway I would get less than 8 seconds. This is plenty of time to react if you are on your own, but if you are in a convoy you may not wish to slow too fast.

On the other hand, if I increase the warning distance so that I get, say, 10 seconds on a fast road, I will get over half a minute warning in town. If there is stop / start traffic the warning could be over a minute, which I would say is too long.

To keep the times more constant I would have to manually adjust the distance of all 4 settings every time the speed limit changed.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get you now.

I read somewhere that the people at Pocket GPS who maintain the camera database are hoping to one day have a different file for each gatso, ie a file for a gatso at 30mph, a file for a gatso at 40mph etc. So when that's done you can then set different yardage warnings for each.
SGR1913
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is exactly what i've done with the French speed cameras, whoever started it wisely prefixed the description with the speed. So i sort them in poiedit and split it into databases for each speed limit. Each one has its own bmp, and i set the warning distance considerably different for 130 and 30 kmh
Works very well in practice, you just need the UK cameras to be updated with the speed limit
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some more discussion with Richard (Oldie) in the past 24 hours about splitting up the camera database by speed. We can now do this fairly easily - but the big problem is that we don't have speeds for most of the cameras.

If you look at the latest pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2, you'll see that speed limits where we know them do appear - some entries appear as , for example, GATSO:11@50 - where the @50 bit means 50mph. I believe Richard is thinking of changing the @ to a different character - though I can't remember his reasoning for that.

It would really help if people would resubmit existing cameras with the speed limit, or simply send a list to the cameras email address saying, for example, GATSO:11 is 50mph.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: