Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:
Aquanick wrote:
Hi

I have to say I agree totaly with all that you have said about improving the TomTom Go.

Also would it not be a good idea to have a FULL postcode search on the unit?

Dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but when I try and use the "a 2 b" rounte planner......it brings me up a route for about 3 seconds....then it flashes up "calculating new route" then in a flash it has planned a route from where you are now to where you wanted to go on the "a 2 b" planner......very annoying!!!

So people.....lets make our voices heard to TomTom, I know they listen to the consumer because of the latest software update, many things that appeared on the new software was because people asked for it. e.g. the first GO units were critisised for not having a volume control for the voice commands, so on the latest update....they added one!

Nick
:D :D :D

You can't have full post codes, something about the cost of buying the licence, the only way this can be done is with a third party add-in, which the Go doesn't support.

As for the volume, it's ALWAYS had a volume control, ever since it came out. It wasn't added with an update.

An informal, unsupported full postcode hack:
http://www.timodonnell.co.uk/ttg/

There are details elsewhere on this Forum too.

So how come other sat nav products come with postcode search as standard?

Pre latest software update the volume control was only usable by going though the preferences menu and altering it......when the updated to the latest software they added the feature to the "repeat last intruction" button it now appears along the bottom of the screen........it DID not do that before....so theirfore was added on the last update.

Nick
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your item 2 will never happen. It is an example of the "travelling salesman problem" and is very hard to solve computationally. I believe the complexity goes up as e^x where x is the number of sites. Do a Google for "travelling salesman problem" and you will see the difficulty.
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:

Anyone else like to other things on future TT Go's?

Thanks.

Yes, I would like them to include an option to turn auto scrolling off on the TTG - I understand this option is available on the PDA versions.

I find the current autozoom doesn't zoom back far enough for my taste. I like to get a wider view of my location and find it dangerous to have to constantly manually zoom - only to hav the ruddy thing zoom back in a few seconds later?
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

Quote:

Pre latest software update the volume control was only usable by going though the preferences menu and altering it......when the updated to the latest software they added the feature to the "repeat last intruction" button it now appears along the bottom of the screen........it DID not do that before....so theirfore was added on the last update.

Nick
Quote:

I'll agree with that Nick, came as a surprise when it suddenly popped up...
manicguitarist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a map that is upto date (despite having my TTG for only 3 weeks)...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

Aquanick wrote:
Also would it not be a good idea to have a FULL postcode search on the unit?

The issue here is the Royal Mail and the huge sum they charge for the licence to use such data, it's prohibitive hence why no-one uses it Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
2, If you have to travel to places A, B, C, D, E and F and you enter them in the order of D, B, F, A, C and E, TT Go will then work out the shortest or quickest route for travelling to all 6 destinations so will plan your route in the correct order of A, B, C, D, E and F.

This is the 'Itinerary' feature that is available on TTN3 for PocketPC already. It may make it to other platforms including GO in later releases.
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi People

Time to stop bitching about TomTom Go in here.......make your voice heard by the people that matter......TOMTOM!

I recently coppied MR Rubbergloves original post and sent it direct to TomTom via their support email addy.....Bellow is the result:

Discussion Thread
Response 10/11/2004 09.54 AM
Dear Mr Lomath,

Thank you for your suggestions regarding TomTom Go.Your suggestions have been noted and hopefully in the near future we can update the TomTom Go with one or maybe all these suggestions.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 09/11/2004 10.03 PM
Hi

I write to you with reference to the TomTom Go unit.......I have a few sugestions for improvments to the unit....maybe they could be put onto the next update? Because in terms of features the GO really lags behind the competition.

1, When planning a route, it would be nice if the option to travel by the way of the quickest or shortest route, avoid motorways, avoid city/town centres and to avoid toll roads.

2, If you have to travel to places A, B, C, D, E and F and you enter them in the order of D, B, F, A, C and E, TT Go will then work out the shortest or quickest route for travelling to all 6 destinations so will plan your route in the correct order of A, B, C, D, E and F.

3, The chance to change the average speed a user would travel on each road as for me (and others) it can be way out. I mainly drive when using TT Go during the night (taxi driver) and driving 10 miles around Blackpool during the night will differ vastly to that of driving 10 miles through London in the middle of the day.

4, Be able to delete some of the pre installed POI's especially now that you can install your own POI's as I have found that I don't use and will never use some of the pre installed POI's and find that they get in the way when searching for other POI's. And also be able to add more than the 81 limit.

5, Customable map colours, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the current ones but the option to change the colours to a users choice would be nice.

6, If a QWERTY keyboard is added to a future TT Go would it be possible for the TT Go user to have the option of using both keyboards as I'm sure there are some who will prefer the current one compared to a QWERTY.

Thanks
Nick

Maybe Iam being too hopefull, but from that response it seems maybe just maybe they do actually listen......we can but hope!

So the only way to get things altered is to let tomtom know.....I sugest to people that they copy all of the above or add their own sugestions and send it to TomTom.
Maybe they wont listen, but it cant hurt to try can it? All its gonna take is a couple of minutes to write an email, you never know Smile

Nick
Lomaxter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: things i'd like to see on the tomtom go Reply with quote

I agree about wanting a shortest distance route option as I like to avoid motorways as much as possible! Sometimes when you recalculate routes it starts sending you on a tour of the home counties instead of giving you a short back road route.

The one thing I would like to see that noone else has mentioned yet is a North indicator. Before the tomtom go i was using a magellan meridian with street mapping. Even if I am following a route I like to know which direction I am travelling in. Of course if the sun is out I dont have a problem with this :P but I do think it would be useful
saboteur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may sound stupid, but personally, i'd like to see an adaptor where you can watch TV with it! Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquanick wrote:
Hi People

Time to stop bitching about TomTom Go in here.......make your voice heard by the people that matter......TOMTOM!

Your entirely at liberty to do so, but I can tell you that around a dozen TomTom staff are reading this forum on a daily basis reading posts on problems and wish lists and I receive a number of emails a day especially when people get on their soap box and start talking 8O Wink
Skeets
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Wish list for TTG Reply with quote

Nice list, but to set priorities if I had my choice the most important innovations in the next software version of TTG would include:
1. Ability to set multiple vias,
2.. Option to choose between "shortest route, fastest route, and to avoid super highways."
3. Much Larger "current road, next road, and distance to next turn" letters and integers on the summary screen when mapping detail is turned off above a certain speed. (Large enough to see at a glance while driving.)

A great hardware innovation for TTG or a third party would be some kind of "shade or baffle" of dark plastic or other material that could clip around the TTG and partially protect the screen from direct sun or bright glare.

(Incidentally, heavy duty, non glare sheet protectors cut to fit the screen make excellent low cost screen protectors. Have been using them on my PDA for years and cut templates to fit the TTC first thing.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of driving on unfamiliar motorways and dual carriageways this week a speed sensitive PoI warning would be nice. 273 yards is plenty of warning on a London street of an approaching PoI, but it's not when doing 70 mph on the A1.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
After a lot of driving on unfamiliar motorways and dual carriageways this week a speed sensitive PoI warning would be nice. 273 yards is plenty of warning on a London street of an approaching PoI, but it's not when doing 70 mph on the A1.

Why don't you adjust the yardage yourself.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, everytime I go on of off a dual carriageway??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: