Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Things I'd Like To See On The TomTom Go Reply with quote

I hope this thread is not seen as whinge, as it isn't, I've had my TT Go now for a couple of months and having recently drove another car with Sat Nav I thought I'd pen a few lines on what I'd like to see on the TT Go, I love the TT Go and am pleased that I bought it, however in my eyes to make the product more perfect I would like to see the following.

1, When planning a route, it would be nice if the option to travel by the way of the quickest or shortest route, avoid motorways, avoid city/town centres and to avoid toll roads.

2, If you have to travel to places A, B, C, D, E and F and you enter them in the order of D, B, F, A, C and E, TT Go will then work out the shortest or quickest route for travelling to all 6 destinations so will plan your route in the correct order of A, B, C, D, E and F.

3, The chance to change the average speed a user would travel on each road as for me (and others) it can be way out. I mainly drive when using TT Go during the night (taxi driver) and driving 10 miles around Blackpool during the night will differ vastly to that of driving 10 miles through London in the middle of the day.

4, Be able to delete some of the pre installed POI's especially now that you can install your own POI's as I have found that I don't use and will never use some of the pre installed POI's and find that they get in the way when searching for other POI's.

5, Customable map colours, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the current ones but the option to change the colours to a users choice would be nice.

6, If a QWERTY keyboard is added to a future TT Go would it be possible for the TT Go user to have the option of using both keyboards as I'm sure there are some who will prefer the current one compared to a QWERTY.

Anyone else like to other things on future TT Go's?

Thanks.
Bajie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post.
I would like to see your second suggestion implemented.
Sometimes I have to pick people up on journeys and it would be really useful.
I'd like to be warned of speed cameras when the unit is switched on even if I have not typed in a destination. Sometimes I know where I am going but would still like to be made aware of the gatso's Smile
All in all, I'm loving the TTGo. Will need a larger memory card soon though.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajie wrote:
Nice post.
I'd like to be warned of speed cameras when the unit is switched on even if I have not typed in a destination. Sometimes I know where I am going but would still like to be made aware of the gatso's Smile

You can, have you got the little box unticked or ticked when you are asked "Warn only if POI is on route?".
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I'd forget to mention something. Rolling Eyes

When travelling with no route planned, it would be nice if the TT Go displayed the name of the road AND town/city you are in instead of just the road name.

When travelling with a route planned, it would be nice if the TT Go displayed the road you are currently on (and town/city if there is room) and the road you next need to turn on as at the moment when travelling with a route planned TT Go only shows the road you next need to turn on and doesn't diplay the road you are currently on.
mike007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to see option of shortest /quickest route also :D

and also the option of warning sound activated on the speed camera when the normal route directions is switched off

oh and tv channels on my tom tom go would be great(when i'm parked up of course its got a great looking screen to be a television) Laughing

the new update on the tom tom go is absoultley great with all the POI options they have on it now,got my new case for it yesterday..been using a camera case for the last 4 month :D fits perfectly in it!!!
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:

When travelling with a route planned, it would be nice if the TT Go displayed the road you are currently on (and town/city if there is room) and the road you next need to turn on

It does display the road your on,and the name of the road your going to turn onto. not the town and city though.

In map detail preference, have you adjusted the slider to full.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:

In map detail preference, have you adjusted the slider to full.

I've just noticed that since new update the slider bar as gone, it's just "check boxes" now.

Still shows roads and next turning if boxes are checked.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
I've just noticed that since new update the slider bar as gone, it's just "check boxes" now.

Still shows roads and next turning if boxes are checked.

I've never had or rather seen a slide rule on my TT Go.

I have all boxes ticked and the current road is never shown when I have a route planned, all it shows at the bottom of the screen (the blue section at the bottom) is the next road I need to take. The only time the current road I am on is shown is when I have no route planned and this is shown in the bottom blue section.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew I'd be adding to this at some stage so sorry for upping.

At the moment when you have set a route for your destination, you are given the option to avoid part of the route which only allows you to avoid part of the route where TT Go tells you where to make a turning and not any other part of the route. I'd like it if you also had the option to avoid part of a road on that route, ie, lets say you are instructed to travel down the M6 and you know that say between junction 10 and 12 is closed for roadworks or that this section of the M6 is always heavily congested you can tell the TT Go to avoid this part of the M6, meaning you will only miss this section of the M6.

Another feature which I think will be ideal is the option (similar to the one above) is the ability to block part of, or all of a certain road so that when you do plan a route TT Go will avoid this road before it plans your route.

Also, map updates every 2-3 months instead of the presumed once a year as a year is too long to wait.

Thumbs Up
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I missed, when you need to travel directly to a certain junction of a motorway at the moment you have to enter a town or city in the part where you are asked for a city. I feel it would be better when at the part where you have to enter the city/town you could just type in the motorway with the junction you need as not everytime do you know a nearby city/town close to the junction you need.
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

Hi

I have to say I agree totaly with all that you have said about improving the TomTom Go.

Also would it not be a good idea to have a FULL postcode search on the unit?

Dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but when I try and use the "a 2 b" rounte planner......it brings me up a route for about 3 seconds....then it flashes up "calculating new route" then in a flash it has planned a route from where you are now to where you wanted to go on the "a 2 b" planner......very annoying!!!

So people.....lets make our voices heard to TomTom, I know they listen to the consumer because of the latest software update, many things that appeared on the new software was because people asked for it. e.g. the first GO units were critisised for not having a volume control for the voice commands, so on the latest update....they added one!

Nick
:D :D :D
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

Aquanick wrote:
Hi

I have to say I agree totaly with all that you have said about improving the TomTom Go.

Dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but when I try and use the "a 2 b" rounte planner......it brings me up a route for about 3 seconds....then it flashes up "calculating new route" then in a flash it has planned a route from where you are now to where you wanted to go on the "a 2 b" planner......very annoying!!!

So people.....lets make our voices heard to TomTom, I know they listen to the consumer because of the latest software update, many things that appeared on the new software was because people asked for it. e.g. the first GO units were critisised for not having a volume control for the voice commands, so on the latest update....they added one!

Nick

You can't have full post codes, something about the cost of buying the licence, the only way this can be done is with a third party add-in, which the Go doesn't support.

As for the volume, it's ALWAYS had a volume control, ever since it came out. It wasn't added with an update.
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major thing I would like to see added is automatic switching of maps.

I also think the above points would vastly improve the go.

Especially fastest - shortest routing options and road avoidance.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
Aquanick wrote:
Hi

Nick

You can't have full post codes, something about the cost of buying the licence, the only way this can be done is with a third party add-in, which the Go doesn't support.

As for the volume, it's ALWAYS had a volume control, ever since it came out. It wasn't added with an update.

An informal, unsupported full postcode hack:
http://www.timodonnell.co.uk/ttg/

There are details elsewhere on this Forum too.
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Original post by Mr Rubber Gloves Reply with quote

Aquanick wrote:

I and others have mentioned this a number of times in the Expansys’ forum. As it stands the facility is unusable.

If you are trying to plot an ‘A to B’ route from anything other than your current GPS position and you are in range of a satellite the device immediately reports "No route planned" and recalculates the route from your current position. If you are not in range of a satellite it will calculate a route but as the route can't be saved or used it serves little purpose.

Aquanick wrote:
Hi

So people.....lets make our voices heard to TomTom, I know they listen to the consumer because of the latest software update, many things that appeared on the new software was because people asked for it. e.g. the first GO units were criticised for not having a volume control for the voice commands, so on the latest update....they added one!

I only wish you were right. I have twice written to TomTom about the ‘A to B’ facility and on both occasions they have studiously avoided the issue.

Their first almost meaningless response was:

The “navigate to” feature will use your current GPS location as the departure and calculate a route to a location you enter as the destination. This is ideal for calculating a route when you are in your car. “Plan from A to B” will calculate a route using departure and destination locations you both can specify yourself. You typically use this when you want to prepare your route not connected to your GPS or when you are at a different location.

The second time they just ignored the question.

Sadly, it seems as though they would rather spend their money on advertising than on minor details like making the product work or support.

The fact they are clearly prioritising new sales over supplying cases to those who have already bought them gives you a good indication of what to expect from the company.

Michael

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: