Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicguitarist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup Reply with quote

I sent a querie to them this morning. Below are the exhange of emails:

Quote:
I have just recieved my Tom Tom Go - and am very happy with it. However, it appears to have an older map version (for Great Britain) (v314) than my collegue who purchased his at the same time (v390). I thought that the map on the CD may be more upto date, so I installed that, but whilst it has a different directory name on the SD, it reports the same version.

Will I be able to update my TTG to the latest map, or should I send it back to the supplier demanding the latest product from them?
Many thanks.

I got back from them (within 10 minutes):
Quote:
Dear xxx,

Thank You for your question regarding TomTomGo. We have supplied you with an update link below, we have the new update version available in the link.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?p_prod_lvl1=29&p_new_search=&p_search_type=&p_search_text=update

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

The link that they gave, pointed me towards the 4.42 update - not a map update, so I replied with this:
Quote:
It is my belief that the update link that you provided does not update the map - it only updates the software to 4.40.
Can you confirm that this update actually updates the map, and will thus give me the same *map* version of my collegue (v390 for Great Britain)

Many thanks.

This was their very prompt response (within 2 minutes)
Quote:
Dear xxx,

Thank You for your response.The update provided will update the software and does go some way to including new information on maps.

With best regards,

I felt that this didn't make sense, so I responded with:
Quote:
Many thanks for your prompt response, it is much appreciated.
Once this update is applied, will the map in my Tom Tom Go contain the same data as the map in my collegue's Tom Tom Go?
I was my understanding that the update only updated the software, and not the map - this is reinforced by the fact that I performed the update on my TTG as soon as I got it, and did not need to re-apply the update when I reloaded the map from CD - or should I apply the update again?

Now it has all gone quiet. They may just be on lunch though.

Comments anyone?
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like thay either don't understand what you are trying to say or are avoiding giving you an answer!
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mailed about a half hour ago asking if TomTom would clarify if indeed version3.90 is a later mapset, and if so then why are they not readily available to existing owners. To the point and i'm sure they can understand that. So far zilch, zero, diddly squat. But fair go, lets give them a chance to respond.
CraigL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this has been brought up... I got my TomTom Go yesterday as well, and noticed that my Great Britain Map says v314 as well. And in the small area I have driven about, seen a few mistakes, so here's hoping that there IS infact an update.
manicguitarist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the latest reply, which kind of brings it all to an end.
Quote:
Dear xxx,

Thank You for your response, unfortunately due to a misunderstanding on our part I miscommunicated the wrong facts to you. Version 4.40 is an internal update and only updates the software and not the maps. At present we donot have any map updates available that you require.Our apologies about the miscommunication of information.

With best regards,

When you install the v390 maps - what activation is required? There was none required when I installed the 314 map from CD.
Not advocating copying CDs of course...but if anyone has v390 and wishes to PM the I would be happy to, erm, compare v390 and v314.

:D
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: map Reply with quote

but they still have not said if the version 390 is a later map
Cheers
Rob
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my e-mail remains unanswered, the whole issue and TomTom support leaves a bad taste in the mouth, are they lying? or is it that they havent got a clue themselves.As per the norm a later number usually signifies an updated version of whatever, this is what i am led to believe on these forums, however TomTom dont seem to think so, or more correctly, seem to be avoiding giving a straight answer by not even acknowledging it's existence.
JTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map v390 is an update apparentely. It fixes some issues with M6 toll road amongst others. I have E-Mailed TTG support asking for the latest maps but had no reply yet!
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTT wrote:
Map v390 is an update apparentely. It fixes some issues with M6 toll road amongst others. I have E-Mailed TTG support asking for the latest maps but had no reply yet!

Can you give us some clues where you got this info from..

TomTom sent an email saying there are NO updates,,,

Thank You for your response regarding TomTom Go maps. Unfortunately the update link supplied only updates the software on your TomTom Go and not map updates. We donot have any map updates available at this time only those maps supplied, when we do have some map updates you will be duly notified.

With best regards,

So it seems nobody is sure if it excists or not, TomTom are sure it doesn't.
stevefitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All;

To stop all those sleepless nights, and having to put up with evasive, frustrating email answers out of Holland, why not just have a "one to one" old fashioned talk with TOM TOM GO on 08451610009(Mon-Fri 0900-1600).
That way there can be no excuses for misunderstanding, and the reply should be (should) direct and to the point.

Best of luck.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
JTT wrote:

Can you give us some clues where you got this info from..

Discussions here and on the Expansys Forum indicate that users who are local to the M6 have identified clear differences in the map data in that area. The supposition is that there are probably other differences too.
johnthepope
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with timmyo a very lengthy debate has been going on over on the Expansys forum regarding the differences between 314 and 390 maps.
I am still awaiting a response from TT supprt well over a week now.
Maybe if all of us with 314 contact support for the upgade they just may have to listen.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[cough]Watchdog[/cough]
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually have a contact who is on the BBC watchdog/Rogue Traders team, but really i dont feel it's come to that - not yet anyway.
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevefitz wrote:

..... why not just have a "one to one" old fashioned talk with TOM TOM GO on 08451610009(Mon-Fri 0900-1600).....

Obviously you haven't tried to phone them......

All lines are busy.... current wait is in excess of twenty minutes.....if you require support please visit our web site .....alternatively you may wish to call back at another time.....press 1 if you would like to listen to music.... etc etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: