Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need a back up of a tomtom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a back up of a tomtom 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frostbite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Need a back up of a tomtom 720 Reply with quote

Hi,
I've had a back up disaster which tomtom wont help me with and to be fair,it was bought in 2008,anyway,when i try to select the uk &roi map,i get a message telling me," You cannot use this map" etc,my plan is to completely wipe the internal memory and put a replacement back up file on the unit. will this work and can any one help me with a file, I am prepared to post reciepts. Thanks
Frosty
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you indeed have a backup? And, if so, was it made using Home or with Explorer?
Frostbite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: back up Reply with quote

hi

I do have a back up of sorts, but I cannot guarantee the integrity or the completeness of it,thats why I want to start from scratch.

Frosty
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question....

dhn wrote:
was it made using Home or with Explorer?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone is working up to tell you is that no-one else's backup will help you to get back your TomTom's maps, as those are locked to each individual device.
Everything else for your tomtom can be downloaded via the TomTom Home program but unless you have bought an update map recently, we need to find a backup of your map in whatever backup you may still have, otherwise you'll have to buy a new one.
Frostbite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,thx for the replies,sorry, it was done by using home. I appreciate what you say about working on an individual unit so i suppose what i need to know is the structure of the map folder,what it contains etc.

Frosty
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you HAVEN'T wiped the contents yet, try these things in this order:

Using The Clear Flash tool:
• Connect your TomTom to the computer and switch it on.
• Download the Clear Flash tool file from HERE and save it to your desktop
• If you downloaded the "exe" version, double-click the file ClearFlash.exe, which is on your Desktop, or if you downloaded the "zip" version you will need to un-compress it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Extract all", then double-click the file setup.exe, which is created.
• Proceed with installing the clear flash tool.
• Once completed, switch your TomTom off, then disconnect it from the PC.
• Switch your TomTom back on.

(The above may well not help, but it's the easiest thing to try first)

Now, make a NEW backup, using Windows Explorer (not Home) even though it's not working (you can dump it at the end if we get it fixed)

Next, look for you ORIGINAL backup. Does it have a folder in the backup called "Great Britain and Ireland" or something similar? If so, how big is it?

What happens if you manually copy that folder back onto the unit using Windows Explorer?

If that doesn't help, do this:

1. With Windows Explorer, check the root directory of the TomTom AND your original backup. If you have very old maps (v660 or earlier) there will be one or more files with a name based on the map name and a .MAC or .MDS extension. This is your activation code for the map. It is especially important that this file or files are backed up.

2. Now, with the unit still connected to the computer, run the HOME support program.
i. Go to "Manage my device" on screen 2 (tap "More" to get there). Wait for the contents to load (it may take some time!) and then on the "Items on device" tab, find "Applications". Tick the box to select it and then tap on "Remove items from device" at the bottom.
ii. Go to the "Remove items from Computer" tab. Again, wait for it to load and then find "Applications". Click on the "+" sign to open up the list and tick the lines that mention actual application versions and then tap on "Remove items from computer" at the bottom.

3. CLOSE Home completely and then re-start it from the Start menu. Home SHOULD immediately offer a new version of the application software, or if not, it should do so when you go to "Update my Device" on screen #1. Install the application offered.

4. Click on 'Device - Disconnect Device' in the top menu (or use the "Eject" button in the bottom right corner of the screen), wait for it to re-boot and ask if you want to connect to the computer, select "No" and when you see the normal navigation screen, turn off and disconnect.
Check the device is now working OK.

5. Finally connect to Home again and see if anything else is offered in "update my Device"

----------------------------------------------------

Note:. If yours is a VERY old model, you may need to run the update process in Home v1.x several times first and then install home v2.x and run it several times again.

Both versions of Home can be downloaded from the same page HERE (v1.x is an easily missed text link BELOW the large one for v2.x)
Frostbite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: 720 Back up Reply with quote

hi and thanks for your time.

I've immediately opted to look at your second fix as the first has already been tried but i have no files with those extensions, my map folder is full of safety camera files and the only files that seem to pertain to the map have meta,tlv and meta dct so it's looking very grim.

Frosty
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I may have misled you with that copy and paste of instructions, The map files it mentions at the top are for VERY old maps, but it was important to find those files if they existed as they were not INSIDE the map folder.
For newer maps, all the important files (including the ones you mentioned) are in the named map folder.

So if you have that folder and it contains a load of files including ones called
cline.dat
faces.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat

and the ....{mapname}meta and ...{mapname}meta.dct files

...then it's looking hopeful.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: