Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - members who could install database for other members
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

members who could install database for other members
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiethebhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: reply to falkirk 81 Reply with quote

Hi
I think the tomtom xxl is based on tomtom home but I was reading a review about the tomtom start 60 and it said that you need to download tomtomhome V2 for this model
thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite Eddie...

The XXL uses "Home" which has been on version 2 for quite a long time.
You can download the latest version of that from here

The Start 60 uses "MyTomTom" which you can download from here
(although I notice they have not updated that page to mention the Start 60!)

You could add the PGPSW camera data to the old models WITHOUT using Home, but in order to add it to the new ones you MUST use MyTomTom, there's no other way to access the machine.

Where do we stand? Are you prepared to have a go following the instructions with some extra help, or do you still think you need someone to do it for you?

I'm away for most of next week from tomorrow morning, so I can't get involved until my return, but there are plenty of other "regulars" here who can hold your hand if you decide to have another go yourself.

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
eddiethebhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: How I stand now Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Thanks very much for your kind reply well as things stand my wife is using the XXL and she is quite happy with it even if it gives certain cameras the wrong way round she only drives around Glasgow and she knows where all the cameras are.
I am using the start 60 and I am very pleased with it I like the large screen very much I drive a hackney cab in Glasgow it's okay when I am driving about Glasgow but sometimes I get fares going outside the city and I don't know the camera locations there so if it did not give me one of these cameras the right way round there is a chance that I may get done for speeding.
Regarding myself on computers to tell you the truth I am completely hopeless.
So I am going to just carry on with the start 60 and whenever I get fares outside Glasgow I will just have to keep within the speed limit.

Thanks very much Andy from Eddie in Glasgow
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the PGPSW camera database on a TomTom is not directional Generally it will warn you of cameras regardless of their direction of trap, so it will alert you for cameras 'on the other side of the road'. But the plus point of this, is that you won't miss a cam for which the direction is wrong, like you seem to be getting at the moment.
eddiethebhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: gpsworld camera database Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT
Yes I know what you mean about the camera database giving you cameras in both directions and this is what I like about it and also all the hotspots it gives you where they have speed traps ect.
From Eddie in Glasgowu[/u]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n. Another satisfied customer. It surprises me how many people ask how they can get rid of the mobile camera alerts Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie in Glasgow
Please be aware that on this forum we have numerous posts pointing out the inaccuracy of the TomTom camera database. I have no knowledge of the Glasgow area, but I have no reason to expect it to be any different from other parts of the UK, where the TT cameras are very unreliable. They ARE mostly (but not all) directional and will only warn for cameras on the route you are travelling, NOT both directions - in theory. However, so many are just plain wrong that if you rely on them in areas where you are a stranger, you'll eventually find out what a mistake that is.

You really SHOULD make a resolution to get in touch with someone here who can talk you through the PGPSW camera database installation. It IS easy and once you've been through it a couple of times to learn it well, you'll kick yourself for hesitating so long.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: