Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Post code entry does not work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post code entry does not work
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to doubt you Anita.

Just about to go back to Halfords.

Probably too, late but if you put in say 30 or say 15 YO12 6HL what street do you get.

Thanks everbody
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sat nav shows the junction of west park and green lane as well if you just enter the post code. - YO12 6HL
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrnemo wrote:
if you put in say 30 YO12 6HL what street do you get.
On Green Lane at its junction with Greenstead Road
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried to take it back yet.

But I suspect from this little experience if you want a Sat Nav that does post code entry get an iGO using Navteq maps what ever one of them is!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even that is not perfect. The implementation needs a house number, or it takes you to the 'street centre' not the postcode centre.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrnemo wrote:
Not tried to take it back yet.

But I suspect from this little experience if you want a Sat Nav that does post code entry get an iGO using Navteq maps what ever one of them is!

That's a bit harsh and seemingly based on a unit that may be faulty. I have no trouble with postcode search, either on my 1490 or 1310. It's always worked for me, think you've just had an unlucky experience.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I continued past the postcode entry and gave it house number 1 it linked it to 1 West Park.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
mrnemo wrote:
My post code is YO12 6HL - my 1490T will take you to West Park Avenue which is close to the road I actually live on.

My TomTom GO 720 also shows West Park Avenue for that postcode, so it looks as if it's a problem with the official Royal Mail postcode files, as the maps are supplied by different providers.

Royal mail database shows Green Lane, Scarborough

My Garmin shows YO12 6HL as West Park Avenue too but if I put in the address, it does work to Green Lane; obviously the map makers have boobed
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everbody.

It seems that Garmin and TomTom don’t get their postcode information from Royal Mail and where ever they get it is far from perfect.

My other problems may be because I live in a twilight zone as far as the major satnav makers are concerned.

Not happy that the 1490 locates me on a different street, when I am standing outside my house so am I going to test it in different locations tomorrow.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Garmin and TomToms to visit around 20+ homes a day between us and almost without exception they are really spot on - TomTom better for house numbers than Garmin (ie. side of street much more accurate) but apart from that they have a very high success rate, and on failures its often no more than around the corner

I really wouldn't worry too much about it in my experience

Even though they promise door to door, in reality if you expect street to street then you won't be disappointed with long term use
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mrnemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointed out to Garmin that it was getting my post code wrong. This wahat I said to them about my experience with it - I have tested the Sat Nav using the full address using ‘Spell City’ and it did take us to a location very close to 33 Green Lane but possibly a bit further up the road than where it really is. It did take me to my Sisters address in York correctly using the postcode and house number. Warnings to turn seemed to be long before and so close to the turning to be too late to take action from what I am used too.

I am concerned about the accuracy of the ‘Where Am I? Function.’ At my home it gives a variable location on Greensted which is the adjoining road some yards from my home. I walked with it to Scalby Village and back. It invariably gave the wrong house number on West Park Avenue and Green Lane when you stand outside a house on these streets. It went into pedestrian mode on Scalby Road and failed to give a single location on this street giving locations on adjoining roads and parallel roads sometimes I would say it was out by more than fifty yards. It did identify houses on the High SDtreet of Scalby road getting two correct but all the rest wrong but did not identify the adjoining Low Street.

I also tested it the day before in York first giving the completely wrong street outside my Sisters house before correcting after about 30 secs to the right street but wrong house number. I walked with it down an adjoining street and after it went into Pedestrian mode it seemed to give the right street and a closer house number than when in 'Automobile' mode but the house numbers were still out by a few numbers.

This was there reply - Thanks for the information. As the units do not contain a building database, as only a small selection of house numbers are collected, to allow the device to work out the approximate position of the property, you can sometimes come across issues if that particular building number has been recorded for a nearby location, which will have a similar postal code, although if this sis the case you should be able to bypass this simply by entering the postal code only, and leaving the house number field blank as this should take you to the correct road. If this is still showing the incorrect information then it would appear that this is in fact a mapping discrepancy.

We don't actually manufacture the mapping software ourselves, but it is provided by a company called navteq, who are regarded to be the best in the business. In order to obtain this mapping Navteq travel around the country collecting data which then need to be transferred into computer data and converted into our software. I am sure you can appreciate that this can take some time and so there may be some new roads or places which don't appear, or there might be some discrepancies in the mapping. Navteq themselves have set up a live server which you can access to check to see what is already on their database, and to inform them of any changes if you have noticed any discrepancies with the mapping, which can be found at http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/

In terms of the instructions being provided before or after the turning this is simply down to the accuracy which is determined by the amount of satellites you are receiving as if you only have the minimum amount of satellites then the location may be slightly out by several metres, which can cause instructions like this, although the unit does provide the instructions long in advance before you reach the turning so you should have been informed of this several times upon approach.

Whilst there is no way to ensure that the unit always picks up the maximum amount of satellites that are in view, you may be able to improve this by ensuring that the unit is always running the latest updates which can be installed by use of the webupdater http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

I have looked on the Navteq web page and if you put in YO12 6HL in shows it on Green Lane!

So it gets the post code street most of the time but not the house number. So whats the good of having something accurate to a few feet?

In practice it gets these thinks right when you are travelling by car if you make sure the address in it is right but a lot of the time you will be going to a postcode area and then looking for that factory unit or church down a long street.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that having something accurate to a few feet is great or turn by turn directions (so you can see your position accurately on the map relative to your next turn, etc.) and also puts you on the right lane of the road, most of the time

Having to look down a street or around an industrial estate for the actual unit / house is not, in my option, the end of the world when a unit has navigated me (usually perfectly) for sometimes hundreds of miles, taking the stress away from my driving and my day

So while I can accept it is not perfect, it is pretty good, and perfectly acceptable and fit for purpose
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: