Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Routable Map from Nuvi to Mapsource
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Routable Map from Nuvi to Mapsource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLBJBranch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Routable Map from Nuvi to Mapsource Reply with quote

Ok, I've scoured the web for an answer to this, but I've had no luck.

I'm trying to get a routable map from my nuvi to mapsource. I found a sort of hack, where you can take the gmapprom.img file, copy it to the garmin PCBSMP2 folder, and rename it pc_basemap2.img to have it show as the basemap.

However, it does not appear to routable. At least it's not for me. It just draws a straight line between waypoints.

Can someone tell me, please, if there's a way to get a routable map from the nuvi to mapsource. (I think I've seen I can't transfer the route to the nuvi, anyway, but I still want to be able to route within mapsource for other reasons). If not, where do you get a routable map to use for route planning? I just don't understand.

Thanks.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Routable Map from Nuvi to Mapsource Reply with quote

BLBJBranch wrote:
I'm trying to get a routable map from my nuvi to mapsource.
If not, where do you get a routable map to use for route planning?

Well if you sweet-talk Garmin into sending you a DVD containing one, or you qualify/buy a map upgrade you'll get one.

Otherwise, maybe the Garmin Basecamp product will do what you want? This uses the map in-situ on the attached unit.

Description from the help (since it seems to be missing from the web:-

Code:
Garmin® BaseCamp® provides an interface for viewing Garmin map products and managing geographic data. With BaseCamp, you can:

Transfer data to and from your GPS device.
Create, view, and edit waypoints, routes, and tracks.
Organize saved waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches in the Library and Devices area.
Find items, addresses, and Points of Interest (POIs) included in your detailed map data.
View map data in 2D and 3D.
View topographical information included in your detailed map data.
Geotag photos with geographical location information.
Print detailed topographical maps, Public Land Survey (PLS) quads, and multi-page poster maps.
Download and view BirdsEye™ satellite imagery.
Import and view Garmin Custom Maps.
BLBJBranch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to work. Thanks for the info.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using Garmin's Basecamp allows for the existing map on your nuvi (or other Garmin device) to be transferred to your computer for use with planning, trip statistics, tracks etc via Basecamp. A lot of users have asked for some way to use the map that came with their nuvi to setup custom routes or trip planning on their computer. Basecamp gives you that. While really targeted towards the handheld crowd, it works quite well for highway travel too, albeit a bit slower to work with than MapSource in my experience. But at least it's free!
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Tyre? Reply with quote

I use Tyre with my 775T. Works a treat. It uses Google Maps so you need to be online, but then you can route and then download direct to the unit.

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/

Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: