Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks Mike, i remember reading the bits in various posts and reviews. I Dont know if perhaps relative humidity is a factor as i say i only noticed it over the last two days, both excessively humid in London.
I Will keep an eye on it tomorrow, i have to go to Heathrow so hopefully i will be able to give it a work out.
I am starting with a fully charged unit every morning- left on charge but switched off overnight, which i hope is ok to do.
As said this is not a major issue, more an observation.
As each day passes i become more impressed with this bit of kit.
Shoom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was sure postcode and speed camera apps will work with this soon I would order one tomorrow

Why are TT keeping quite
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcode, no, speed camera, yes.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's last post.... Would he by any chance be refering to things we would like to see eradicated from our lives?.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not at all. GO will definately support speed cameras, I have it loaded to my GO at the moment. AFAIK there won't yet be plug-in support for third party applications. It's not to say it won't happen, I'm sure it will going forward, but just not at the moment.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Nope, not at all.
What about the postcode based POIs available for download from this very website - although they aren't going to be the easiest way of working, these should work as they are "only" POI files??

I guess one of the main reasons behind the lack of support of Third party apps is that the unit is based on Embedded Linux, and not PocketPC....

Steve
marctwo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the speed camera database loaded into TomTom Go, will it warn you as you approach one or will it simply show up as a marker on the map?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will alert you as you approach visually and audibly. You could use postcodes in a POI file, and do a navigate I suppose.
StephenT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: GO is great but just a word of warning Reply with quote

Got my GO yesterday and agree with all that has been said about it on this forum: simple to use, robust, clear instructions, clear mapping and routing, liked the re-routing facility as it instantly gave me a new command once I took my own short cut to work etc. Not a very sunny day today but some glare, still when driving at speed the map goes off and there is no need to be looking at anyway.
BUT, word of warning or perhapes just a foolish error from a simple PC use like me: Thought I'd load the CD and explore what it has on it, how it interacts with GO, register online etc. Few clicks later, found that I had replaced the 4.21 operating system with version 4.20 on the CD!! Downloaded the new version from TomTom site ok, but then major panic when the message came up that the SD card was full and it wouldnt load in!
In the end I had to delete some of the voices (I never could get on with Swedish or Danish) to be able to load in 4.21. How will I be able to load in the European Major Roads if I need them at a later date? Or other upgrades as they come out?
Help any one?
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green

I did the very same as you StephenT, in the end had to delete a few voices.

If you want the major roads of Europe to work with you TT Go you will have to buy another (larger) SD card as the one supplied is not big enough to have maps of GB and Major Roads of Europe on the one card.
StephenT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, typical "not quite telling you the whole truth - but its not a con" advertising from a major company. Just hope i wont have to keep on deleting voices every time a new software version or this heavily hinted at Speed Camera POI file is released. Just meant that the sparkle went off the GO experience.
Cheers
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Larger Sd card capacity? Reply with quote

So if I buy an Sd 256 card,do I then load the original card to my hard drive (as a back up)then transfer this to the Sd 256,thus allowing me to have spare capacity to load the promised updates?

Or not...... Rolling Eyes
bobmorris
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: SD Capacity Reply with quote

You can load the application directly to the card by use of the CD which came with your GO, See page 16 of the manual and follow the instructions
It specifically mentions using the application on a higher capacity card!
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - it says you can use up to a 4GB card (!)
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I haven't yet figured out - I assume the UK maps are also on the CD as well as the 'roads of Europe'? If I wiped my SD card would I be able to put the original UK maps back on?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 16 of 35

Jump to: