Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic - No Incidents Showing?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic - No Incidents Showing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm posting this update from my phone so i'll keep it quick and post a more accurate reply when i get the chance.

Turned on the device last night and exactly the same. No incidents showing.

During the night Donacster suffered several powercuts according to reception at my hotel. (Subsequently on water in our rooms this morning!)

Turned on my device to see if anything had changed this morning. And guess what? Info was being displayed straight away. Device was very slow to respond, in keeping with how it normally responds when traffic data is present and i had done nothing to it since the previous night. I didn't get the chance to spend more than 5min checking it but info was certainly being displayed.

So begs the question, did the powercut kick the voda network in my area up the rear after the powercut which may have been to blame in the first place?
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skirted around Doncaster yesterday on my home and had no Live services via VodaFone, in fact the 940 Live connected to RDS-TMC and stayed using that all the way home so there might have been a bigger issue with the server rather than local outage, strange as I had Live services untill I got somewhere close to to Doncaster, never thought anything of it though at the time until I read this thread - Mike
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens. I've just returned from Doncaster to Dundee (apx 300 miles) and when I set off my device was showing traffic info unlike the previous 3 days. It was very slow at navigating and refreshing the map on map view which i thought was a little strange.

Just outside Carlisle, it starts reporting roadworks somewhere north of Glasgow. No bit deal. 10/15min later their gone apartently. A further hour or so passes, then they return, then dissapear etc. This continues all through the remaining journey. Same with Traffic 'incidents' but no delay times. You get the idea.

Had a little look at the map when nearer Glasgow and traffic info was very sparse indeed. Similar to what it was when HD Traffic first launched. 5/6 mile of stationary traffic on the M80 due to a brokendown car in the road works not being reported at all. That stretch of road was being reported as clear. Previously I've found HD traffic to be very accurate on this stretch of road.

Other little random Queing traffic icons are appearing all over the place, but without Red, Amber, or yellow trails. When you click on them there is no information shown. These are also in the most unusual places. E.g apparently there is queing traffic in a small industrial estate (Unclasified road) in Dundee and little country unclasified roads in the highlands! There's quite a few all around my area of reception similar to this. Some of the queing traffic is also reporting completely wrong discriptions as to thier location. One was showing queing traffic on apprach to the Forth Road Bridge. The description given when clicked on for more details described a location a good 60+ miles away somewhere north of Perth! (The A9 at Bankfoot)

Thanks for the Advise MrT. I deleted the MapSettings.cfg file. I didn't however delete the MapServerPatch.dat, Patchfilter.dat, ServerLineIndex.dat and ServerNameIndex.dat. I also removed all my POI's and Tripmaster. I did find the pluserror.txt file and had a look inside but didn't really make any sense of it so deleted it (after backup) which appeared to make no difference. I have checked the expiry date of Live and it is in date. I have also deleted and re-entered my account details. The problem originated in Doncaster, some 300 miles away from home and was working fine all the way down on Sunday afternoon. I'm now getting the same symptoms as above back at home.

No response from TT surprisingly!

EDIT: I also repalced the tmccodes and traffic files with ones TT sent me some time back.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it is a TT Server problem - I have lost my camera updates again and get the error about my subscription having expired, even though Weather, Fuel Prices and HD Traffic are stil working.

Since the HD Traffic refresh issue in November i haven't gone more than a week without something packing in and then magically starting working again a week or two later without me changing anything.

All points to the LIVE Servers being at fault.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

All points to the LIVE Servers being at fault.

Same here.
Lots of error messages - such as the usual "Cannot connect to Live Services, please try later" and the more unusual "There is something wrong with your SIM card, please contact customer services".

Next time I try (without changing anything) it's working properly again.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no traffic yesterday afternoon, I was connected to the server but it said "No info available" with a little yellow triangle.

I have also had the SIM error but only when using the V9 software and trying to use any Live Service before a connection is established.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nav9 seems much more 'sensitive' to connection issues.

If it can't connect it just seems to give up, whereas Nav8 appears to keep trying and will eventually connect.

Just my observations seeing as TT still haven't got round to releasing Nav9 for the XL LIVE IQ Routes, but released it pre Christmas for the XL IQ Routes. Figure that one out???
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly if Nav9 connects to the server but there is "no info available" it does not give up trying.

I do not think that Nav9 is more sensitive than Nav8, Nav9 gives up to easily but Nav8 lies and says the info is up to date and gives the impression it is working.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably quite true.

I haven't experimented with Nav9 for a while now as it didn't offer me anything new on the XL LIVE.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to get my problem resolved with support. The last guy i spoke to was a complete contrast to everyone else i've spoke to so far at Tomtom Exclamation
I can't believe they have such a poor level of communicaton between each other in support.

He talked me through over the phone formatting the device (Windows full format) completely and re-installed both the navcore and maps via Home in around half an hour. Previously, I was never brave enough to format everything including the maps, so I suspect something in the maps folder was to blame.

Normal services resumed, thanks for everyones help!

Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: