Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Sorry, have I missed something ? I wasn't aware that Traffic was something that TT were looking at with the TT Go.

Is this something that they are going to be making available at a later date then?

David
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visited TomTom for the traffic launch I was told that as part of the roadmap for TTT this would be rolled out to the Common Navigation Engine platform.

Click here for the full article.

I think the comment being referred to is:
Article wrote:
The general future for traffic is to have complete coverage of Europe and USA in 2005 though no mention was made as to Jan or Dec. And to add additional value added services onto the datafeed. This will also be rolled out onto the new Common Navigation Engine platform as released for the Palm and Go systems, although Go does not have Bluetooth so cannot connect to the mobile network at the moment.

This was a general where we see things going type of statement, not a specific we will be doing this statement. There was no specific mention of GO, as a target platform. My comments may have implied that it would be available on GO, but there may be other restrictions preventing it like lack of Bluetooth.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wads"][quote="TartanGiant"]

TG[/quote]

One tip from me would be to use a Palm Pilot type stylus or your fingernail on the touch screen...... this avoids finger prints on the screen spoiling your view![/quote]

I have a tip for keeping the screen clear. Instead of using a "patented" stylus cost silly money, ( it's plastic when all said and done ) i use a "Pencil" the one with the eraser on the end,cut down to about 4 inches, i have this on the dash at the side of TTGo using a piece of velcro.
Shoom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uber GPS virgin here Smile

Is this unit better than me buying an ipaq 2210 and gps mouse.

Would I be able to fit a 128 or 256mb sd card with lots of maps on ?

Will the cool addons that work on the pocket pc work with this soon ?

I would to use the post code app and speed camera app.

Will these work with the Go in the next couple of months or should I just get a TT satnav kit ?

Never had satnav but after finding this site my life seems like a hollow shell without one Happy
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DELBOY for that tip - pun intended!

Cheers

TG
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoom wrote:

Is this unit better than me buying an ipaq 2210 and gps mouse.

That depends on wether you want to do anything else with it. TT GO is a dedicated unit, and wont have calendar, tasklist etc,
Shoom wrote:

Would I be able to fit a 128 or 256mb sd card with lots of maps on ?

Yo will have two maps: the entire country you purchace and the major roads of europe. Others will be available to buy later this month which you could fit on other cards,(hopefully) But Germany takes up 256 Mb and most other countries take up 128Mb
Shoom wrote:

Will the cool addons that work on the pocket pc work with this soon ?

I would to use the post code app and speed camera app.

No, TT GO uses a different OS and even if this allowed for these add-ons they would need to be ported to the new OS.
Shoom wrote:

Will these work with the Go in the next couple of months or should I just get a TT satnav kit ?

Difficult call here. TT will have a version of POI Warning available in the near future that will work with our database, and any other POI database.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if GO can learn?

I only ask because in the week I've been driving around with my GO it has changed its recommended route from my house to my work.

Initially it recommended a way that I didn't like so I would ignore the instructions and follow my normal route until it started to follow my prefered route.

Now when I route from home to work it recommends the route I would normally take! so has GO learnt that I prefer that route and therefore thats what it suggests?. Not sure it makes any difference but I have my work location stored as a favourite.
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times did you drive your own way before GO started sugesting it?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wads wrote:
Does anyone know if GO can learn?

I very much doubt it otherwise TomTOm would be shouting about it from the rooftops, and getting flamed where it doesnt learn the right routes.

If you think about it, it could be very missleading. What if there are roadworks and a diversion is in place for a couple of weeks? TT GO would learn the diversion as a prefered route.

Call me a spoilsport, but I suspect that the change is due to some other factor. Even the difference of a few yards can tip the balance when calculating routes, depending on the weighting of the roads selected.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange!!!!

Why would a difference in start position of a few yards make a difference to the suggested route when the end of my road is always going to be in the same place...... I have to join the main road at the same place on all trips to work so why should GO suggest different routes (maybe its mood or time of day?).

If anyone would like to test the route that their go suggests (using the A to B planning mode) I start at 31 Wellington Road, W5 4 (London) and go to TW16 7 junction of Cadbury Road and Chertsey Road in Sunbury Middlesex....... I can't remember the route that GO originally suggested (as I didn't like it) but my GO now takes me:

Wellington Road > Northfield Avenue > B452 > A3002 > A315 > A310 > A316 > M3 J1 > A308 > A244 (Cadbury Road)
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanziBarn wrote:
How many times did you drive your own way before GO started sugesting it?

4 or 5 times...... today was the first time it suggested my usual route (which is quite different to the original GO route)
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: TT GO Learns? Reply with quote

As Wads says,my TT used to bicker me to turn around on my Home to Work route,when I took my preferred route.Now it doesn't,I think if the roads are parrallel within a certain range(footprint)the Go works out that the routes at some time will intersect and travel on the reccomended route.
Or have I been at the Whisky?
Ferr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

I have TomTom GO and everything works fine while usng the pre-installed map of my country (italy) on the SD which comes in the box, the problems come when I tried to install "major routes of Europe" from the cd to another SD card. The installation process seems to work fine, but when I insert the new SD in the GO, is just like GO does not recognizes the SD (a red cross above a card simbol appears and nothin happens... where is the mistake?
Thanks and regards.
Ferr
meany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: new maps Reply with quote

Ferr wrote:
I have TomTom GO and everything works fine while usng the pre-installed map of my country (italy) on the SD which comes in the box, the problems come when I tried to install "major routes of Europe" from the cd to another SD card. The installation process seems to work fine, but when I insert the new SD in the GO, is just like GO does not recognizes the SD (a red cross above a card simbol appears and nothin happens... where is the mistake?
Thanks and regards.
Ferr

Did you install the application (+update) on the new sd-card too?
Ferr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: new maps Reply with quote

No I didn't. Thank you very much, now it works fine!
Regards
Ferr

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 13 of 35

Jump to: