Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is "New 2009 Satmap 10 PLUS C/W Whole World Base m
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is "New 2009 Satmap 10 PLUS C/W Whole World Base m
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 said
Quote:
I assume this means that we are getting it for free at the moment will have to pay next year?

I would assume not. When I bought my A10 I was told it came with route planning and route share. I have waited for a long time for them to arrive without taking any legal action against Satmap. I assume they don't want loyal customers to start taking them to court now.
Satsync 1.525
ElCapitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 said
Quote:
I assume this means that we are getting it for free at the moment will have to pay next year?
----------

Hi there,
My first post on this Forum. Apologies of I haven't got the quote function to work properly.

From Satmap's FAQ page:

Is access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network available indefinitely. The terms and conditions on my Active 10 Plus voucher say it is valid for one year?

We had to put a one year valid date as we can’t sell a product which doesn’t exist. So long as Ordnance Survey renew our licence then this will mean we can automatically renew your access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network.

----------

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has posted messages about the Active 10 on this Forum. I have been following your discussions with great interest since late last year. I finally took the plunge last week and bought an Active 10, and am looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it.
Cheers.
Tim
bob1988
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have been watching this forum since I bought my satmap, back in November, and I have to say I have learnt a lot. There are a lot of guys on here who really know there stuff, and have been invaluable in getting me up and running on this device, even though it was indirect.

However, I have been holding my tongue with regards to the people that seem to use this forum, to bash anything and everything Satmap are doing, and not even thinking about the process that a company must go through to do anything in business, especially when working with organisations like almighty OS.

Firstly, instead of asking Mike to ask Satmap questions, why not do a little bit of hunting around on their website or ask them yourself. I just got off the phone with them regarding this new active 10, and they told me exactly what it I had read on the website.

Quote:
Active 10 Plus

Satmap today announced the launch of the Active 10 Plus in the UK which is a one stop GPS solution giving outdoor sports enthusiasts the hardware, software and route planning tools they need to get out and explore. The Active 10 Plus will launch outside of the UK in the coming months.

The Active 10 Plus has an RRP of £379.99 and includes the following:

Active 10 Plus GPS; Standard Carry Case; Lanyard; USB Cable; 3 Energiser Lithium Batteries; Lithium Polymer Battery; Wall charger with multi-country adapters; Voucher – 1/3 off 60km² site-centred map (worth £35); Voucher – Route Planner & Share Forum (worth £79.99); Quick User Guide.

There is no difference between the performance of the Active 10 and Active 10 Plus which incorporate the same technology. However, there are two features which differ: the Active 10 Plus comes with a World Base Map and postcode look-up functionality, neither of which is included in the Active 10.

http://www.satmap.com/news.php?art_id=27

It's amazing what you can find if you actually look past the end of your nose. This clearly shows that it is simply a new bundle of software and maps (the fact that it is still called an active 10 is a big clue here) and that there is no hardware changes.

Similarly, if people had just had a look at the FAQs then most of the inane questions asked in this forum would not exist.

Anyway, rant over for now, the device isn't the best out there but it works great if you make an effort to learn how to use it.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
johno99 said
Quote:

I would assume not. When I bought my A10 I was told it came with route planning and route share. I have waited for a long time for them to arrive without taking any legal action against Satmap. I assume they don't want loyal customers to start taking them to court now.

LostMike - it will depend upon the exact wording they used. If they said it was included - then there may be a case. If they just said they would be providing the features - then there is less of a case. I do agree that they seem to have put themselves into a strange position - charging for planning is a little odd - especially as the on-line facility is only marginally better than doing it on the device itself.

The sharing of routes is hardly an incentive to purchase access to the planner - I for one prefer to plan routes from scratch - it's part of the fun and you get a much better understanding of the route you are going to be following and potential escape routes etc.

I will be using my other existing OS mapping products (eg Anquet ) for route planning I think.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
Hi

I notice that the £80 only gives you access to the route planner for 1 year! according to the Satmap site 'Purchase of the Route Planner and Route Share Network package provides access to the web applications for a period of one year, and users must agree to the terms and conditions of use when they first log in.' A lot of money for 1 year I think.

John

...Or in other words, they think they've found a way to rent OS maps to us punters. No thanks. I've already paid enough for the mapcards!
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this in the Satmap site FAQs, which seem to have had a major overhaul since the introduction of the new unit:

Is access to the Route Planner / Share available indefinitely:

"We had to put a one year valid date as we can’t sell a product which doesn’t exist. So long as Ordnance Survey renew our licence then this will mean we can automatically renew your access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network"
jbak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Vector road map Reply with quote

Hi!

According to the SatMap site, installation of the World Base Map requires removal of "the vector road map" from the memory of the Active 10. I was not aware of having a vector road map facility on my Active 10. It would be very useful since it could spare a lot of way points in planning a route. Anybody who can explain how to get access to the Vector road map facility?

Thanks! Bart.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbak

Zoom out. Or remove your map card and zoom in. In fact I believe that even with the map card inserted if you keep zooming in it will default to the road map but then you have to be near a road to see it.
Satsync 1.525
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
jbak

Zoom out. Or remove your map card and zoom in. In fact I believe that even with the map card inserted if you keep zooming in it will default to the road map but then you have to be near a road to see it.

One small additional point, you have to remove the card if you have 50K and 25k map inserted.

apparently on the development to do list
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
jbak

One small additional point, you have to remove the card if you have 50K and 25k map inserted.

apparently on the development to do list
jbak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: vector map Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and 4ndy!

I understand that the vector road map is a kind of overlay on the 25 or 50K OS bitmap image. So I suppose zooming in you may recognise a sudden change in map presentation. Is that correct?

I use Dutch land registry (=kadaster) maps which possibly do not have a vector road facility connected. In any case, zooming in causes a fluid increase of the image.

Bart.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: