Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srpearson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Great Britain has morphed from the United Kingdom, maybe this is the announcement we are all waiting for.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Tuesday I did exactly what JaTe did and it worked perfectly, except, I just copied the .ov2, .bmp & .ogg files from my old map that I had already saved on the computer.

Also. if you copy the MapSettings.cfg file from your old map, you will get your favourites and a lot of other settings back on your new one.

Then don't forget to do another Explorer backup.
ick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I installed map version 8.10 on my TT520 the other day without deleting my the previous map. After download was complete it installed the new map over the other with out any problem. All POAs were still in place
The only thing I had to do after was reset the voice sounds for the Pocket GPS cameras
KerrAvon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i updated my 520 this morning after it did its normal gps fix and map share stuff it gave me the option to upgrade to traffic for £25 ( aprox ) and a reduced deal on trafic and cams, is this the start of what Daren was talking about ??? unfortunatly the new maps were still £50 for uk

has anyone any idea if its worth holding off on upgrading the map?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JaTe,

No worries about backups, I have about 10 going back to Day 1, Day 1 + version upgrade, that one plus Map upgrade etc etc.

I was pretty sure that I'd have to copy the .Ov2 & .Bmp files to the new map and that the settings file should work as well.

Still holding off buying the v8 map for now, though!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the options?

Are you thinking that maybe they will release a further map alongside the new v8.010 maps?

I don't know about these things but not sure that would be viable.

They could introduce new functionality to the Navcore software, which as I Understand it runs the Tomtom whatever maps there are.

So you would get to update it anyway through TT Home.

The maps could be lowered in price in a "sale" scenario.

So you save a few quid.

These things are all hypothetical because I have no idea what we are waiting to hear about, and also there may be further options open to TT what do you all think? Again not pressing those who know.

It is also a slight concern that this was mentioned 2 weeks ago as something that would be announced in a week (so a week late now) therefore could it have been shelved.

Cheers

Carl
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all speculation.

Is patience no longer a virtue??

Please remember that the timing of any TT announcement is completely beyond the control of anybody at PGPSW and, likewise, PGPSW are not responsible if TT don't make announcements as expected.

I'm sure that we'll be told more when/if we can be and trying to guess what TomTom are up to may just give rise to rumours.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is conversation no longer allowed?

It is all speculation.

Who is asking anyone from here to give anything away?

Thank you for the reminder, but I wouldn't rely on anyone here to tell me how or when to spend my money.

I really don't understand the defensive nature of all this, people have simply asked if they need to wait and have summised what may happen etc.

The purchase of the product has to be personal choice, and all that has happened is someone has suggested to hold back and some have waited and some haven't, so what?

Like I said I won't rely on any of you to tell me when to spend my money and therefore I won't hold anyone but myself accountable for when I have.

Please don't look upon this as having a go, again it isn't (I never have gone out to do that).

The problem with email and forums is that the tone of your questioning or voice cannot be gauged.

Cheers

Carl
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a fortnight in TomTom's calendar? Seven months ago they promised they'd give me a new free map at the end of April. Two months ago they promised they'd give it to me when they are released for my 720. They were released for the x20s more than a fortnight ago.

So I've today asked them if I can have two years' GPRS Traffic subscription instead! Fortunately, this time I've messaged them in time to get a reply before the weekend. I think.

I am confident TomTom will make an announcement within the next eight weeks. Well, fairly confident. I think, perhaps.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Is conversation no longer allowed?

Of course conversation is still allowed!!

....although, there's always a danger that speculation and rumour mongering lead to mis-information which some could pick up on as being the real McCoy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
The problem with email and forums is that the tone of your questioning or voice cannot be gauged.
Carl, you are beginning to sound familiar. You could seed your offerings with the odd "mate", "only joking", "rest assured" and smilies (or grumpies) if it will help convey your tone? Alternatively perhaps, think before you write, so that you can compose your message in unambiguous form.

richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 'having a go' either. I said that I was holding off buying the v8 map for now, not that I wanted it for free or at a reduced price.

My reason for not buying it yet, which maybe I should have made clear at the time, is that I am happy with the current 715 map I have. Since I only bought the 520 in February, £50 for a map with new features that are interesting, but not vital to me, is £50 off something else we need more.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
£50 for a map with new features that are interesting, but not vital to me, is £50 off something else we need more.

Clap Thank you for a note of sanity. My own sentiments entirely. Sadly, I am a bear of little resolve, so I'm not sure how long I'll hold out. Confused

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a road warrior like you should hold out until the x40 is released, Dennis.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I, Anita. Trouble is the mousey side of me demands an x30. Am I a road warrior or a mouse? The only thing that's holding me off is not knowing whether the x30s work! Don't suppose you'd care to win one and let me have it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: