Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Total Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordo52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Total Newbie Reply with quote

After working out a budget from my disability benefit, and taking some recomendations of a friend I purchased the Looket G8.

No doubt people more in the know will say I have done wrong. but as long as I can get from A to B I will be happy with my first excusion into the Sat Nav world.

Info and details on the G8 are rare,but I have found that t is possible to use Tom Tom data on it, how I don't know yet but will be hunting around for answers. And learning how. which I will pass on.

But my first real question. is to do with chargers. So far I haven't been able to locate the AC Adapter, one is available but so far drawn a blank.

I was wondering if anyone else knows of an alternative that I can safely use.

many thanks and any help advice appreciated
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much info on the web about this unit. The brochure download link I found didn't work.
You may be interested in this page though, it offers a free map update:
http://www.looket.com/eng/download/dw_looketg8.php

How does power get into the device?
If it is via a USB data socket, then a Home charger from one of the other companies such as TomTom or Garmin should work.
But if it is a separate DC socket, we'd need to do some more research before recommending any alternatives.
Have you asked the people you bought it from?
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does require a usb socket to charge, a workaround for people like me who want to charge a unit without leaving a PC on is to plug the device into a powered usb hub. You can use it without anything else plugged in if you want. Cost me £6.00 for a 4 port USB2 powered hub.

I have a printer and scanner attached and a flying lead to hook up the laptop. I leave the hub powered up 24/7 (but not the scanner or printer).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only trouble with that is that it will charge SLOWLY. A USB port can only supply a maximum of 500mA, whereas a dedicated mains charger can supply 1-2 amps.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trend now seems to be swinging towards the usb Charging way both in Mains plugs and car chargers which does save lugging two different cables around, just picked up a usb universal car charger from my local Poundland for would you believe a whole pound, picked up a couple of weeks ago a usb SD card reader for same price and its the only card reader that writes to my 8gb hd card, bought another one this week (how reckless) ideal for throwing in the car even as spares.
A point on the usb multipoint units, the unpowered units usually spread the whole capacity across all the ports so if using other items in it you will not get the full output, so beware, this may happen on some of the low price powered units as well
gordo52
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit has no USB whatsoever, all the data is updated via an SD card

the charger is car based only with the following 5V, 1.5A to charge Lithium-ion battery.
the AC Adapter(5v 1.5A) is not for sale in this country, I have heard back from their head office and they will post me one at a cost of roughly £45. I am sure I can get an aquivilent one cheaper.

thanks for the usb advice but that doesn't apply to me in this case
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem we have in recommending one is the multitude of minutely different sizes they use for DC power connectors.

If you go to somewhere like Maplins, they will have loads of power supplies that will be suitable, most of which now come with about TWELVE alternative plug adapters.

You need a REGULATED 5 Volt supply, capable of producing 1.5 Amps of current or more. Try to avoid the ones with switchable output voltages, because one day it will get accidentally switched and that is a very expensive "phut".

Finally, the plug adapters all come with a 2-pin connector that you can set EITHER way round, which puts the "+" (or 'positive')side of the supply on either the centre pin or the outer of the adapter. You MUST make sure you get this right before you plug it in to the sat-nav. There is usually a small graphic beside the socket showing where the "+" volts should go.

I had a very quick look and Maplin's 'L45BL' looks like it would do the job IF one of the (only) six supplied adapters is right for you.
Link
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always wary of the switchable ones, after replacing a couple for relatives I always put a blob of the Gel type sealant over the switches so they cannot be inadvertantly changed, this is a soft gel and can be peeled of if you want to change. the other problem is the varying pin sizes on hat like standard DC coneectors, I would have thought 5v chargers would have been readily available now this appears to be the standard even to converting a USB charger lead to DC socket, All the usb charge lines i have come across are the outers, and all Dc pins positive central all bits readily available from maplins,
Sods law that some will be different.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: