Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GM210 cable problem with IPAQ 5455
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GM210 cable problem with IPAQ 5455

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: GM210 cable problem with IPAQ 5455 Reply with quote

Hi,

First post so hello everyone!

I have an IPAQ 5455 and a Holux GM210. Very pleased with how the kit works and have had it installed in my car for about 18 months.

Anyway, here is my problem. I was getting intermittant power problems, (the sat signal is getting to the IPAQ ok) whereby the Symbol indicating no power appears on the screen (TomTom).

Bear with me, this is going to take some explaining.

Initially I thought this was the cable as when you tapped the connector where it enters the IPAQ, the problem went away for a min or two. I ordered a new cable but the problem was still there.

I was then told by the guy at ipaqrepair.co.uk that the problem was probably the socket on the IPAQ where the Holux cable goes in. Solution - Have the IPAQ repaired.

Everything worked fine for about 3 months then the problem re appeared. Had IPAQ repaired again but this time was advised buy the repair guy that this problem crops up if you use low quality connectors. (of course there is no Holux alternative)

To save my IPAQ I bought a Brodit holder (the on that you insert the GPS lead into the bottom of)

This has been my set up since February and now, you guessed it, the problem is back! This time it it the connector on the Brodit that is broken as everything works fine when bypassing the Brodit.

So far this has cost me 2 new cables, 2 repairs on my IPAQ and a Brodit Holder. About £190!

What should I do, anyone else had this problem, should I just ditch the Holux and get something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wellsy.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you gently easing the iPAQ into the connector on the mount? If you ram it in quite hard, that may be the issue. The connectors are quite fragile, and too much force will damage them.

I haven't had any problems with my setup, which I suspect is older than yours - I'm using an iPAQ 3970 and a Brodit active mount, which has a built in charger. My cradle is equally OK. The iPAQ is around 20 months old now and used quite heavily, yet the only connector issue I have is if the iPAQ slides up a little inside the Expansion Pack I keep it in, it won't mate with the cradle correctly (easy fix - just press the iPAQ firmly down in the Expansion Pack).

One possibility that comes to mind is that your iPAQ may have a slightly off-centre casing, so the connectors tend to mate somewhat out of alignment, wearing away over time. If you are being fairly gentle when you mate the devices, you could discuss that possibility with iPAQ Repair, and see if they feel changing any case components in the iPAQ would help.

David
wellsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I broke the IPAQ first time round, I am being very gentle!

The problem is not with the ipaq at the moment, it's with the pass through connector on the bottom of the brodit holder. If I bypass the Brodit and just plug the cable straight to the IPAQ, it works. Don't want to do this as i'm fed up of repairing the IPAQ every 2 - 3 months.

It seems that everything I plug this cable into breaks after a few months of use.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - I'd misinterpreted your post as the PDA connector of your Brodit mount having failed, not the connector where you plug in your cable.

It sounds as if your Holux cables have been out of spec somehow - and after two bad ones, maybe it would be a lot cheaper to toss the GPS and buy a new one than to keep repairing your iPAQ and replacing mounts!

David
wellsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought as much.

I have found another holder that i'm going to try. (Carcomm) it can be hardwired for power and the Holux will plug into it using a ps/2 adapter. No need for the dreaded Y cable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: