Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up on Tomtom, some of their products are fine and the usability of Tomtom always wins in tests (see Gadget show for an example).

I also find their maps to be the most accurate, despite what others say.

It seems this Tomtom one v3 is a lemon amongst an otherwise good product range.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph2 wrote:

...Ive watched the ram on my device creep down to below 2MB and it wont come back until after a reset......

Reading your comment I did a full reset and my device initially reports it has 5.7MB of free RAM but almost instantly drops down to 3.6MB and then up to 3.9MB (I assume it's loading the application OR map data into the RAM?). I wonder if the issue is more memory management related which one would hope can be addressed with a software update?

Could someone who knows explain how the Tom Tom works in relation to RAM and it HD memory. Does the device fill the RAM with map data and possibly POI info for your immediate position and as you move along your route then constantly fills and purges the RAM with the relevant map data. I was just wondering if when it's doing this that this is the point the device can't cope - freezes and reboots?

spcdust
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the non acceptance of the fact that the ONE 3rd edition is a lemon that is most disconcerting. They are a big company with well reported products but not big enough to accept that a problem exists - yet.

My ONE was my first GPS unit and I bought it on the strength of the reputation. That reputation is now, for me, severely compromised. I have given them several chances to respond and I am now waiting the Head Office final response - any day now.....
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KalamakiBob wrote:
It's the non acceptance of the fact that the ONE 3rd edition is a lemon that is most disconcerting. They are a big company with well reported products but not big enough to accept that a problem exists - yet.

My ONE was my first GPS unit and I bought it on the strength of the reputation. That reputation is now, for me, severely compromised. I have given them several chances to respond and I am now waiting the Head Office final response - any day now.....

One or two reports would be fine, they could put that down to faults in flash memory or corrupt files in flash.

But since there's lots of report this problem it has to be a software or driver bug. Not sure if this device is Linux based like some of the others, but there's plenty of scope for problems in the drivers and base system.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:

But since there's lots of report this problem it has to be a software or driver bug. Not sure if this device is Linux based like some of the others, but there's plenty of scope for problems in the drivers and base system.

TBH that's what I'm inclined to think or maybe I should say hope. If it is a software/driver issue then it's a fixable situation but some acknowledgement from Tom Tom would appease me. It does make you wonder what sort of product testing they do before they go to market as this issue is fairly pronounced/obvious. One also wonders what the difference is in the units which are out there that are probably not exhibiting this issue (there are surely others experiencing no problems?).

spcdust
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:

TBH that's what I'm inclined to think or maybe I should say hope. If it is a software/driver issue then it's a fixable situation but some acknowledgement from Tom Tom would appease me. It does make you wonder what sort of product testing they do before they go to market as this issue is fairly pronounced/obvious. One also wonders what the difference is in the units which are out there that are probably not exhibiting this issue (there are surely others experiencing no problems?).

spcdust

Well I'm on my second it worked fine on a short 1 1/4 hour each way trip, but crashed whilst I was setting up the journey under battery power before I set off. Its frustrating as it's an ideal GPS for me, small enough to fit in my pocket, speed camera alerts, and I'm not interested in bluetooth, voice commands etc. But it looks as though I'm going to have to look elsewhere unless TOMTOM give some idea when a fix will be due. I have written to them asking (again) but at the moment they don't appear willing to acknowledge publicly the problem.

Alan
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well I'm on my second it worked fine on a short 1 1/4 hour each way trip, but crashed whilst I was setting up the journey under battery power before I set off. Its frustrating as it's an ideal GPS for me, small enough to fit in my pocket, speed camera alerts, and I'm not interested in bluetooth, voice commands etc. But it looks as though I'm going to have to look elsewhere unless TOMTOM give some idea when a fix will be due. I have written to them asking (again) but at the moment they don't appear willing to acknowledge publicly the problem.

Alan

Only a matter of time before someone crashes as a result of this lousy product.

Don't the tomtom testers own a car?
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second one has gone back. Comet eventually agreed to swap it but not until after they spoke to TomTom even though I had a print out of my exchanges with TomTom tech support which said take back it back to your dealer for exchange.

This reluctance to swap a device without permission from the manufacturer is a worrying trend...(as is the "we cant swap after 28 days") Which they will get away with unless consumers actually complain/query with their trading standards. But I get the impression TomTom dont really care.

I agree with the comment earlier about wanting the TomTom interface with the Garmin reliability.... The TomTom interface is slicker, better organised and I will miss it, but I need something that works reliably now.

If TT ever reply to my questions I'll post them up here.
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found a support posting for another product which mentions the 510 unit used to switch off at random as well, if the connection from the charger to the lighter socket became broken. They fixed this in an update

Might be part of the problem here if the fix hasn't been ported across?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 510 switching off problem actually affected all the x10 range and was more an issue with the interface between the device and the active mount that family of units used (the early mounts were wdly reported as performing in this way, my 910 mount is still working 100% though so not all were faulty).

The One Third Edition uses a mini USB connection to supply power to the device so I doubt that would suffer from the same problems the x10 had - Mike
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to take TT back today for a refund, but would you believe it has worked perfectly all day (approx 9 1/2 hours).
So either TT has downloaded a fix yesterday when I connected to TT Home2, which I believe is highly unlikely, or it is possible that speed cameras are causing the problem.
Today I have been in North Yorkshire where there are no cameras. As I have both TT cameras and Pocket GPS cameras on my TT I usually get two warnings (except for mobile positions which TT ignores) and today I have only had Pocket GPS warings for the mobiles. As I said before it has behaved perfectly.
I am now about to delete TT cameras from TT and see what happens tomorrow. Wish me luck.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tom Tom have not responded to my on-line support question yet (I'll allow them another day Wink) I gave them a call. Spoke to an operator who obviously checked a computerised data-base of possible issues with each unit and she read out the following (more or less).

"If the customer is experiencing random re-boots, a flickering screen or their Tom Tom One (3rd Edition) device is freezing on the start-up screen advise them that a software update, Version7.xx.xxx.xx, will soon be released which should address these issues."

She couldn't give me any more details or time frame and didn't seem aware of widespread problems (although that's not that uncommon in a telephone support role). Hopefully though they are aware that the software they have shipped with the device has some problems (what software on it's initial release is bug free) - it's just this problem is very pronounced in the devices day-to-day useage.

Here's hoping a software update/patch comes very soon indeed. At present I find the device is unusable and more frustrating than it's worth which is the reverse effect of what I hoped it would achieve in having a satnav.

stiggy_sawdust wrote:

I am now about to delete TT cameras from TT and see what happens tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Let us know how you get on and if it has the desired effect- I live/drive in London so there are speed cameras every few yards Very Happy

spcdust

Last edited by spcdust on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connected to TT home2 and it has downloaded the following:-
1 Quick GPS fix
2 Installed 1 new item
3 Map updates
4 POI updates

Wonder what the 1 new item is. I am intreaged. It is not amap update of mine as I have avoided doing any in case it causes the crashes.
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it is a charging problem. Whenever mine has re-booted I have checked the battery icon and it shows fully charged.
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received this:-

Dear Mr alan,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

This issue will be addressed properly at the next update you can expect fairly soon. Please wait untill then before doing anything else.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: