Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V3 keeps rebooting at random
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from driving with my Tom Tom One and in a total of thirty five minutes driving and three separate planned journeys plotted on the device it froze and reset/rebooted itself four times! Of more concern when it did reboot, the device on two of the occasions reverted to the previous journey I had been driving, not the current one meaning I had to access the menus to find my current route. In its current state the Tom Tom One is dangerous to use whilst on the road!

I very much feel that their is a fundamental flaw in the devices software/hardware I have done full system resets and this has made no difference.

If Tom Tom are unable to offer a proper solution/advice to this issue I will have to return the unit to Amazon and will feel obliged to report the problems I have had with the unit on the Amazon product listing user review section - not the best publicity for a new product.

Obviously, if Tom Tom acknowledged an issue and promptly offered a reasonable time scale for a solution (software update) then all well and good. However if they're like most software companies they'll say nothing and sneak out a fix without drawing attention to it.

A rather disappointed.

spcdust
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest how much free RAM does it claim to have at the moment?

Jon
alanchown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust wrote:

Obviously, if Tom Tom acknowledged an issue and promptly offered a reasonable time scale for a solution (software update) then all well and good. However if they're like most software companies they'll say nothing and sneak out a fix without drawing attention to it.

A rather disappointed.

spcdust

I could live with them sneaking out a fix, which would be better than what has happened so far, a denial that there is an issue an no fix. I am on my second, but havent used it in anger yet.

Alan
Johnthecyclist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using a TomTom One V3 for the last couple of weekends. I’ve been using it with a ‘John Cleese’ custom voice with no problems whatsoever. I’ve had no re-boots and was using it today for two fifty-minute trips. Hopefully this will continue I’ll let you know if I come across any problems in the future.

John
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnthecyclist wrote:
I’ve been using a TomTom One V3 for the last couple of weekends. I’ve been using it with a ‘John Cleese’ custom voice with no problems whatsoever. I’ve had no re-boots and was using it today for two fifty-minute trips. Hopefully this will continue I’ll let you know if I come across any problems in the future.

John

Out of interest what POI's have you selected for your Tom Tom, I'm wondering if my indiscriminate selection of all Tom Tom's POI's was the best move? Also do you have the Enjoy England/Visit Britain POI's installed?

spcdust
Johnthecyclist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust wrote:
Johnthecyclist wrote:

John

Out of interest what POI's have you selected for your Tom Tom, I'm wondering if my indiscriminate selection of all Tom Tom's POI's was the best move? Also do you have the Enjoy England/Visit Britain POI's installed?

spcdust

I've not selected or installed any POI's as yet. I've just been using the device from the box, apart from some custom voices.

John
H2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the Visit Britian/Enjoy England POIs either, just the speed camera POIs from this PGPSW.

I have 3.7 Mb RAM free when the device is switched on.

I always had the voice set to Jane UK, but changed to other voices and then back to Jane UK to see if it helped. I also reduced the number of active POIs, by about 3-4 (as in, unticked them as opposed to delete them)

I switched on the TomTom unit when driving home last night, in use for about 30 minutes. It did not crash once.

Unfortunately, I can't update the Map corrections anymore, I keep getting XML errors or something. A reinstall does not fix this.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnthecyclist wrote:

I've not selected or installed any POI's as yet. I've just been using the device from the box, apart from some custom voices.

John

I'm wondering if having the Enjoy England and subscribing to all the free official Tom Tom POI's via Home Vsn. 2.0 (i.e. lawyers and Uncle Tom Cobley and all) may be tripping the unit up? Being new to this I'm not sure how it all works but can anyone tell me - do all the uploaded POI's sit in the units RAM? For instance the Enjoy England POI's alone occupy 2.6MB on the unit.

Just trying to understand what could be the units issues?

spcdust
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebooted itself 3 times in 3 hours on Saturday and twice in one hour today.
Using Jane and not reporting mapshare items and I have not downloaded the POI's.
I think it will be back to the shop which is really annoying because I lose all my favourites (these are mainly awkward delivery places for work and there are quite a few) and it takes ages to update a new TT.
I am really P**d of with TT and wish I knew which Satnav to replace it with. Any suggestions?[/u]
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for what it's worth I sent a support question to Tom Tom on Friday stating the problem I'm suffering and highlighting that it does not seem unique to me. TBH I've updated the question several times over the week end (getting increasingly frustrated) and basically told them I consider the Tom Tom One (3rd Edition) to be dangerous to use whilst driving (it is if your distracted when it freezes and then have to re-enter your route details as it's lost the last settings).

spcdust
KalamakiBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spcdust,

Been there and got no valid response from support. They even suggested things to me that weren't possible which further added to my opinion that this is a poorly thought out, inadequately tested unit and poorly supported unit.

I'm still happy with my Nuvi 200 (no lag noticed) and it does the job. However I think on the whole a TT ONE that was as stable as the Garmin would be my choice. I quite lie the features. That isn't possible at the moment so I'll stick with what I have.

My letter to TT customer services in Holland should arrive today so perhaps I'll get a response soon. Will they still deny the problem exists I wonder?
percymon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably no consolation to you guys at the moment, but eventually a few trucks full of returned units will arrive back at TT via Currys and Halfords.

Software fix may cure the issue when(if) it arrives, but i think the lack of RAM is more likely to be the root cause.
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

percymon wrote:
Its probably no consolation to you guys at the moment, but eventually a few trucks full of returned units will arrive back at TT via Currys and Halfords.

Software fix may cure the issue when(if) it arrives, but i think the lack of RAM is more likely to be the root cause.

Not sure what other Tom Tom Units have in the way of RAM but my Tom Tom One (3rd Edition) is reporting 29MB RAM (free 3.6MB) with no journey planned. The amount of free RAM seems to vary between around 2.0MB and I'm sure I've seen it go up to 5.6MB, but possibly it has only gone up to a maximum of free RAM of 3.6MB which would make more sense.

How does this RAM amount compare to other Tom Tom units?

Let's hope it's not a lack of RAM issue as this would be a glaring technical oversight on Tom Toms part and one I cannot imagine a respectable firm would make?Wink Wink Wink

spcdust
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking RAM, ie. SDRAM or flash memory? how do you check this?

My problems with the unit are similar. The screen goes blank and you have to keep touching it to get the screen to stay on. Yesterday it just locked up.

This is totally inadequate, you can't be poking a GPS unit when driving. It's my first GPS unit and I bought it to replace a phone and BT GPS solution which works 100% reliably (and which I was glad I had yesterday on a 2 hr drive).

This unit can't have been tested for more than 30 minutes and their support guys need to escalate this as it's a genuine problem.

Needless to say it's going back to the shop unless a fix appears in the next couple of days.
delph2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around the 14th of the month TT claimed there would be an update to 7.135 within two weeks..... It hasnt appeared. Ive posted a couple more support requests in, but as of five minutes ago they still havent replied.

Ive watched the ram on my device creep down to below 2MB and it wont come back until after a reset.

It would not be so bad if they admitted the problem. (same gos for Comet who insist on phoning TomTom before they will exchange devices)

Mine is going back today and intend to try a Garmin.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: