Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Westewoo,

I am also interested with the 'Alert' like NN so if there is any info on development can you let us know.

Regards
Snoopydog
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote:
Hi westewoo

If Origin can also get the recalculation logic sorted, and include Mobile camera sites in its camera database, then they *will* have an excellent little unit.

An "Itineray" facility (like TomTom units) would also be handy.

Thanks

BB

Amen to that BB.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snoopydog, how you doin?

Whilst disappointed with the navigation side of the Pogo Drive, to date I haven't found anything as good as the speedcamera side that I like as much, though on balance I prefer the larger screen. As BB says, if they can include "Mobile camera sites in its database" it would make the unit a far more attractive one. I still don't understand why the smaller single purpose unit is taking so much longer to reach the shelves than the double feature unit as on the face of it, it is a cosmetically updated B2, graphically enhanced and re-engineered no doubt, but never-the-less as the "Drive" is a working unit that demonstrated that the graphics and database work, albeit with a poorly integrated navigation side, then what can possibly be delaying the "Alert"? Last time I looked the Website for the Pogo was also unfinished. Perhaps Origin have been premature in bringing the "Drive" to the market in order to compete against the likes of the Snooper Syrius and the Road Angel dual system, hence the bugs in the system!

If you are reading the comments in this thread Origin People, have you considered selling a 3.5 version of the 'Alert' simply by removing the navigation feature from the 'Drive' model instead, or in addition to, the smaller size unit and selling this at the lesser price?
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuttynurse,

Are you still using your DS, if so I guess you use the pgpsw database?
how are you finding it, I am using the DS database alongside the pgpsw one and am having a couple of problems which I have posted on the DS forum.

It would be nice to have some more info on the 'Alert' it would be great if mobile sites were in the database and I have found being able to add your own points like in the DS to be handy (There are a couple of places that police cars wait sometimes which are not on the databases)

I am interested to hear the reply to your comments for the larger screen.

Snoopydog
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snoopydog,

Your correct in your thinking, I am now back to using the DS with the pocketworld database. I am finding some false alerts for gatzo's so far but as my journey to work and from work is a repetitive 50 mile round trip I have tended just to put up with this for the time being as the benefit of having the DS outweights the occasional false alert or shaky voice. I did think about removing the main database from the DS and just using the pocketworld one but then decided to wait until I had a suitable replacement i.e. an 'Alert'. Though in unfamiliar territory I would be more concerned about the accuracy between the two databases running side by side.

I did buy a 'Micro Pilot Go' but despite it getting high praise in the Auto Express Mag, I found it not to be very good personally. The sound quality was appauling and the so called colour screen warnings could not be seen in the daylight. My poor eyesight didn't help of course hence why I preferred the 3.5 inch screen of the Pogo Drive with its very audible beeps and its good visual aspect.

Like you, I did and do like the user points input on the DS and find it misleading that Origin and others infer that you can add you own sites to the 'Drive' though I guess its a question of interpretation. None of the outlets where you buy these things are very knowledgable or helpful I find, thats why a forum like this is a must. I bought the Micro Pilot from Halford's in Evesham. The assistant there couldn't or wouldn't get the demo unit out of the display and all he could say was its running in "Demo mode" so what you could see on the screen was what it did. Apparently the sound I was hearing was from a Snooper and not the GO. Still the wife is happy, she thinks its "dinky".

I don't understand the rationale some of these manufacturers seem to have regarding their databases. To date the Drive-Smart team, that was, seem to have been the only providers of a speedcamera detection system that aimed to develop a database for all types of camera i.e. static, mobile, redlight, etc in response to their customers preference whilst others seem to exclude mobiles or redlight cameras on some sort of moral basis. I still think it a sad day when the Drive-smart team fell apart. Maybe they did end up deceiving people for what ever reason, but there is no argument that the DS and the features it contained as well as the potential it had certainly rivals anything out there, even today. And their customer service and forum, until it fell apart, was unequalled. Had the intended "Mercury" been born bringing with it all the pluses of the DS in a more uptodate design, I would have been happy and would not be looking for its replacement today. I think Origin would do well to consider all the plus points of the DS system and incorporate them more fully into their own development of the 'Drive' and the 'Alert'.

(1) The full range of camera detection is essential.
(2) The same user input for recording POI i.e. camera sites, temp or perm
(3) To aim to develop their forum and customer service to the same extent as the DS team, prior to its collapse of course. etc.

Re the larger screen:
Surely the development of a one unit system which has the capability to be a multi-functional unit i.e. a "Drive or Alert" would make sense in manufacturing terms I would have thought. Most cars manufactured today share many common elements, floorpans and such like but develop into very different vehicles. It just strikes me that developing two entirely different looking units largely aimed with one main purpose in mind, i.e. the speedcamera database does not make economic sense. But then what do I know about manufacturing, zilch. But with the ability to download firmware upgrades why not have say a 3.5 inch "Alert" as the base model that can if you desire but upgraded to incorporate "Navigation" features of the "Drive" at a future date if needed.
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuttynurse

I agree with you concerning the DS, the fact that you could programme it with your own sites and the fact that it could easily be upgraded etc, also the DS team did seem to respond to the DS Forum, this along with the future potential of the unit encouraged me to buy one.

It would be great if Origin could look at a DS and incorporate that sort of format/sytem into their own models.

If I can sort out the small conflicts I am having by running the two databases (DS and pgpsw) together I shall be happy to continue with the DS until I can find something better??

Snoopydog
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if nothing else, I've worked out how to make a full and identical backup of the PogoDrive's SDCard, including serial number. However, its not cheap! It requires a PDA with 2 removable memory card slots (like the Dell Axim x51) and SPB Clone (worth $299 USD). It does mean, though, that the original PogoDrive card can be stored safely whilst the unit runs from a backup card.

BB
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for westewoo again.

Another PogoDrive firmware update - date 30 Apr 2007. Any ideas on the changes to this one?

Thanks

BB
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gang. the alert is meant to be available in 3 weeks time( dont shoot me if its not, as im only the messenger) bbq, the 30 april update was a shorter time on the pogo logo, the disclaimer has been temporalily removed, as i was found that it was causing the screen and m button to lock out in you are here mode, and i think thats it. there is in the pipeline, a mute button, motorway mode, and a few other bits, that im sworn to secrecy on.
origin r+d dep. have once again told me that they are reading this forum, and welcome any comments, or reports in glitches, and they are working flat out to make this the best product on the market. :D
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi westewoo,

No explanation from Origin as to why the 'Alert' is taking so much longer to develop than the 'Drive' is there? I still like to know why the smaller, single use device is taking so much longer to arrive on the shelves. Is it a different machine entirely? How much longer to their Pogo website is up and running?

WOULD I SHOOT THE MESSENGER ? Gun Shoot Out
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi westewoo

OK, thanks for that - if Origin R&D are reading, here is my input (again):

1) Sort out the satnav re-route logic!
2) Install Mobile Camera van locations into its database
3) Would be nice to have the Itineray facility (like TomTom).

Then I would really be chuffed with it!!

BB
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bbq. number 1+3 are in the pipeline, i cant comment about no.2, but if no 2. was to happen in the future, would you not find the false alarms anoying, as theres not always going to be a plod a the laser site, due to the number of sites vs. number of plods. and as we all know, the speed a laser gun can record your speed, its very difficult, to react that quick, unless your lucky enough to get scatter from the car in front of you?
how are you finding the voice on the unit? i personally think its still too quiet Smile
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi westewoo

Glad to hear 1 & 3 are being worked upon. As for 2, I would rather have an alert for a mobile van that isn't there, than to have NO warning for a van that happens to catch me out on a bad day! I never found the mobile alerts of the DS annoying and I found the information useful.

As for the voice, I have not had any problems in hearing the voice during motorway travelling. I suppose its down to how much road noise a car amd its tyres produce!!

Cheers

BB
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Where do I look to find more info on the Pogo because like Nuttynurse I am after more info on the Alert, does Origin have its own website? Smile

Snoopydog
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well BB, you either have exceptional hearing or a very quiet car cause I could not hear the Stella's voice on the Pogo above 50+ mph in my golf even with it as close as I could get it, yet I could clearly hear my brothers Garmin i3 from the passenger side. This definitely needs work though the camera alert tones themselves were fine.

Snoopydog, Origin do appear to be developing a dedicated website for the Pogo units which is still under construction. When I first had the Pogo with its install disc, it did set up a portal to take me to the site but as it was not finished then, or now it was not possible to access it. It seemed to be having one of those DS moments i.e "Coming Soon"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: