Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Legend C and Mapsource City Select v8 Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Legend C and Mapsource City Select v8 Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Legend C and Mapsource City Select v8 Routes Reply with quote

Please help................

I've just upgraded from a Etrex Legend to a Legend C.

With my old unit I could plan a route in Mapsource, transfer it and navigate. The route in the GPS would contain a number of points between the start and end waypoints. Whilst not perfect this gave me reasonable directions. IN the route page on the GPS I could see a list of generated intermediate points (not waypoints).

If I now transfer exactly the same route I just get a straight line from start to finish and no intermediate generated points.

Am I asking too much of the Legend C?

Surely I should be able to do the same as I did with my Legend?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked it to re-calculate within the unit?

Quote:
This product has been discontinued.

Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination*

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendc/
Chester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - tried that and it just plots a straight line from a to b. Even with the 'follow-roads' option selected.

Is there anyone out there that has a Legend C that will follow the roads with a downloaded route or who can get it to do autorouting within the unit?

On my old legend when I transferred a route I could see on the route page a number of route points - I do not get these when I transfer a route to the Legend C.

Could someone try transferring a route from Mapsource to a Legend C for me and see if they get any intermediate route points transferred?

Thanks

Mark
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

It sounds like you have loaded the maps into the Garmin without including the routing information. (You can leave this out for non-autorouting GPS units to save memory)

Since your new GPS unit appears to be able to calculate routes itself, reload the maps onto the Garmin again and make sure "Include route calculation data" is ticked at the bottom left corner of the Mapsource window.

Good luck! Thumbs Up
nolonemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created routes on the PC for both the Legend and the Legend C, and this is what I think is happening.

The Legend unit does not autoroute, so it just navigates from routepoint to routepoint in the uploaded route, without recalculating.

The Legend C will autoroute, and so it recalculates uploaded routes between start and endpoint, even if it is a route you created on the PC, it will recalculate the route when you activate it (i.e. it ignores the turn to turn routepoints created on the PC). If you inserted waypoints in the route on the PC, it will follow those, but it may not follow the same routing on the PC otherwise.

Usually if you are getting a straight route on the Legend C it means one of two things, (a) the maps you have uploaded to the Legend do not support autorouting (for example Metroguide versions 5 to 7), so when the Legend autoroutes it just does point to point or (b) you have the Legend settings set to default to offroad navigation (so it ignores roads and does point to point).

Hope this helps some.

Alan.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you clarify the mapping software you are using as your heading says CS v8 and I thought CS finished with v7 and was replaced by CN v8..

Dave
Chester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion - I have CS7 and CN8.

Mark
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the second unlock code on your new gps so that you can transfer the detailed maps otherwise it wil only draw a line from your presant position to a point on the nearest major road from the base map??
Dave
Chester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

You have the answer - I haven't contacted Garmin about the 2nd unlock code.

Thanks

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: