Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's the best setup....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best setup....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: What's the best setup.... Reply with quote

for running TTN5 Question

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but there must be some systems that are better handling/running TT5 than others.

Currently, I'm running the latest version (5.210) with a Mio168 and a 1Gb SD card.

However, I often experience many problems reported elsewhere; mainly the loss of GPS signal, map screen going haywire or positioning me on incorrect roads.

It would be interesting to read other users comments, particularly if they don't experience these problems, and what systems they use.

Over to you......

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would conclude that the 63 people who have read this so far must experience absolutely no problems whatsoever with any of the glitches outlined in my original post. It appears that I must be the only person in the country who is experiencing this Sad

And here's me thinking all this time that the TT5 software was at fault. How foolish of me :x

That being the case, I only wish that they would they would have detailed what setup they are using so that I could ditch my Mio168 and buy something half decent that would bring a smile back to my motoring.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bazzer,

My every day reliable (touch wood) set-up is:

HP iPAQ h2210
TomTom Navigator 5.100 (5160)
GlobalSat BT-338
Kingston 1024MB CF card
Brodit ProClip and holder for h2210.

Unfortunately the h2210 is no longer available as new, which is a real shame as it’s an excellent PocketPC for SatNav.

The above set-up may not be the best, but it works well for me.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the old Ipaq 1710 with tomtom. I only use this for satnav and contacts and does the job without any issues on a daily basis. I will be going for an XDA or something similar as I find it a pain to carry my mobile and PDA around everywhere. I suppose I could leave it in the car but this opens up a whole new argument!!!!!
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer,

You have identified the main problem in your post - "how long IS a piece of string?"

We all have different set ups because they work well for what we want to do with them. It may be better if you tell us what you want to achieve from your sat nav and presumably PDA and how you want to use them. We can then offer better advice. Otherwise you will get all sorts of recommendations, some of which will not be any good for you (or too expensive).

For example I carried a PDA and phone and wanted a sat nav. I didn't want to carry a third thing round so I bought an Ipaq 6340 combined PDA and phone and put TT5 on it. I wanted my sat nav to integrate with my audio (can use volume comtrols of steering wheel and hear it when listening to radio or CD). I also wanted a car phone kit that did not clash with my audio or sta nav, and I was only going to use my set up for sat nav in my car. Therefore I went for a Parrot 3300 combined BT car phone kit and sat nav receiver. Finally I wanted a neat single mount on the dash board not windscreen that could be hard wired in and would charge the Ipaq at the same time so I went for a Brodit mount.

That lot was not cheap but it suits me. It would not suit other people who do not want what I wanted or do want other features that I don't (such as being able to use it in another car). It does everything I want it to and does it well. I have few if any of the other problems reported in these forums. Since I never used TT3 I do not miss what others describe as useful features that have been removed in TT5.

Is that any help to you?
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies so far.

I realise that there is an almost infinite variety of setups out there, but the main thrust of my post was to do with the loss of GPS signal and/or the map display going berserk for a few seconds before settling down again.

I am trying to gain an impression of any users who DO NOT experience these problems, and what set up they use. If I can establish that there is a stable platform with which to run TT5 I may trade in my Mio168 for a better unit.

Thanks again

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I too use a 2210, Maps on CF card and Bluetooth GPS and it has alwasy been rock solid.

My current default is an O2 XDA Exed, TTN5, tomTom BT GPS and Map data on 2GB Sandisk Ultra SD and this too has performed faultlessly.
maxqa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Mio 168 with Mio Map2 (=MN5) and 1Gb Kingmax card.

No problems with losing satellites or maps going crazy. The Mio 168 is a tidy GPS !
drgrafix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer...

I'm here in New England (MASS) and I've been using a iPaq 3970 combined with a Navman 3450 and Mapopolis for about 2+ years. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this setup as a strong "9" and I use it every day as I'm in sales and I'm all over Western Mass and Central Connecticut, sometimes logging over 1500 miles a week. I have all my maps loaded in a 512M CF card mounted in the Navman.

The only reason that it doesn't get a full "10" is that once in a while the unit does get bogged somehow, and needs a soft-reset. That might happen once every 200 hours of use?

Mapopolis is pretty neat software that takes a while to figure out but once you do it is a piece of cake. Mine is older and I don't have the 3D software that some newer programs have but I could care less because I get my visual and voice prompts, and its usually dead-nuts on. I travel in the Berkshire Mountains and the Pioneer Valley, and I've never lost a signal unless stuck in a tunnel or under a large bridge. Re-acquiring the signal is almost instantaneous once out in the clear. My Navman has the latest firmware and drivers.

I have a friend who is so fascinated by this sysem, he has offered to buy it, and I like it so much that I'm honestly thinking about only moving up to a iPaq 5555 (little more ram), but trying a bluetooth GPS with the Mapololis. But I haven't decided yet.

Mapopolis isn't perfect, but it's very functional. I can probably come up with at least a half-dozen ideas for improvements, but like I said... it definitely works very smooth for me.

Doc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: