Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly sure that you can do this with TomTom kit.

You can navigate via places, cities or POIs etc. If you select via a POI, it offers you a category to choose from and then lists all the relevant POIs in distance order.

You can even set up aroute via all the speed cameras in the area!!!
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can navigate via places, cities or POIs etc. If you select via a POI, it offers you a category to choose from and then lists all the relevant POIs in distance order.

You can even set up aroute via all the speed cameras in the area!!!

I saw this on a friend's TomTom, but I think it listed the POIs in ascending distance from current position (like the Garmin). I would them them listed in ascending order of overall distance, ie to get the POI that is least out of my way to visit.
Apologies to TomTom users if they can already do this Confused
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry I understand now.

I don't think any current device will do this as it would have to process a new route to every POI which would take ages to do. It can only give a straight line distance from your present position to each POI.

The TomTom has advanced route trials so you could manually try a route to each POI. Not much better than the I3 in this repect.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Navman's (iCN 550) has a neat feature which is a couple of buttons dedicated to bringing up the nearest petrol station and car park.

I guess the i3 has neither the space nor the price point to be able to do this but perhaps Garmin could do it on some of their more pricy units.
ilmostro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas_Quest wrote:
i think the ability to see the current speed instead of the arrival time should be added.

to toggle between these two info with the power button would be cool, but an option in the settings would also work for me.

that is the feature i miss most.

Quest

I recently bought an I5. I have heard the only difference between the I3 and the I5 is that the I5 has all the maps preloaded.

Anyway, I can get the I5 to show the current MPH and the direction by stopping the navigation and then viewing the map. The MPH will now be shown in the lower left and the compass heading will be shown in the lower right.

The speedometer is highly readable in my vehicle and according to the I5 very accurate.

I could see wanting to check your speedometer's accuracy in this fashion.

Also when driving around w/o navigation it will tell you the road you are currently on and what direction of travel. It also shows the name of the road in the upcoming intersections, once you pass that intersection it will tell you the next one or if one isn't coming up for a bit it will go back to telling you the current road you are on and the direction of travel.

This is my first navigation system and I LOVE this thing!

Bryan

PS
I have the latest version of the software. 2.7
bighassan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Town names Reply with quote

I would like the i3 to tell me the name of the town I am entering or leaving. I'm surprised it doesn't!

Confused
mr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now this would serve no real purpose but i would like to see a nagging wife vioce upgrade i wouldnt think it to be inpossible . i now its just a bit of fun but it is what most of us men are use too . even she who must be obayed says thats what she thinks gps lacks . but hay thats just what we think .
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr wrote:
i now this would serve no real purpose but i would like to see a nagging wife vioce upgrade i wouldnt think it to be inpossible . i now its just a bit of fun but it is what most of us men are use too . even she who must be obayed says thats what she thinks gps lacks . but hay thats just what we think .

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Completely off topic but funny nonetheless; I actually made the mistake of taking my girlfriend out for a meal a few days back. Garmin and girlfriend giving me instructions on how to drive!!! What a nightmare!!! I ended up turning the volume down on the Garmin but if I had a roll of sticky tape....you know what I would have done with it! Laughing 8)
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As future software enhancements, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Alternating Speed and Direction with arrival time and distance to next turn (currently you can only have the former displayed on the view map option and the latter displayed only on the navigation option).

2. An ability to seach on custom or downloaded POIs (if you can search on the inbuilt ones, why can't we search on ones we have added ourselves)

3. An ability to edit details such as name changes in the inbuilt POI database, e.g. TravelInn and Premier Lodge rebranding to all become Premier Inns etc...

Otherwise the i3 is a fantastic system and highly recommended
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would like the voice to have priority over the ping. Going round the M25, after the 40 mph limits had been lifted, but before updating the database, the instructions for turning onto M4 were entirely obliterated by pings. With cameras after roundabouts I also get "take the bingbing exit"

The ping could be queued until the voice has finished, so that the alert is still given.

An excellent suggestion and I hope Garmin follow this forum as a large number of cameras are inevitably on the approach to junctions and I constantly have to refer to the i3's screen to try and find what my next turn is because the proximity alert has taken precedent over the turn instruction. Can Garmin please make the navigational instructions have priority over any proximity alerts
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont Garmin move "My Favourites" on the i3 to the bottom of the screen in "where to". In doing so the two main selections would be in easy to access locations as the user only has to quickly flick the scroll wheel either up to get "Go Home" or down to get "My Favourites" without having to concentrate on the position of the cursor on screen. This would make access to these two primary options easier irrespective of whether safe mode is on or off.
sonnysmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what id like to see(dont know if its possible!)is the option to add Information to the POI's, like small descriptions for attractions your near, opening & closing times for shops or takeaways your close too, prices for carparks!, ect..... (im sure you can think of much better examples but ya get the idea).

Also it would help a lot if there was a way of scrolling the map around a bit without havig to zoom in or out to see whats arond you, though i cant see this happing because of the lack of buttons.

And an information (summary) page you can look at mid journey too see where your upto, total miles covered(and left to go), average mph your doing!, ect...

cheers
dave
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonnysmith wrote:
Also it would help a lot if there was a way of scrolling the map around a bit without havig to zoom in or out to see whats arond you, though i cant see this happing because of the lack of buttons.

As a bare minimum, the i3 could do with displaying the planned route on a map (rather like TTN does) - just to check that it hasn't come up with anything daft.

I'd propose that this route summary display would timeout after a couple of seconds - if the jogwheel was turned during this period, it would zoom in/out on the start location, and if clicked then turning the jogwheel would scroll along the route at the current zoom level - maybe another click to return to zoom mode, and back button to resume navigation.

Scrolling around the map could be acheived in a similar way - with subsequent clicks of the jogwheel switching the scroll function between pan East/West, pan North/South, and zoom in/out.

It might seem a bit clunky, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Whether or not Garmin would implement this is down to whether they'd risk undermining the advantages of their more expensive products, rather than technical feasibility.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash,
not sure if you are aware but whilst you are on a route you can actually 'review' turns, clicking the left button if i remember and scrolling to 'review turns/route' the unit continues with vocal prompts but you can actually read what its going to tell you in advance (use the scroll wheel to read ahead), (you lose the map whilst in this mode temp, but can recall at any time during the route),then simply go to 'view map' at any time to continue with the planned route. hope this helps
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonnysmith wrote:
what id like to see(dont know if its possible!)is the option to add Information to the POI's, like small descriptions for attractions your near, opening & closing times for shops or takeaways your close too, prices for carparks!, ect..... (im sure you can think of much better examples but ya get the idea).

dave, if you edit the .csv file for custom poi's there is a 4th column that can hold info like this. usually gets used for address or phone no. but could be used for opening times. however, if you mean the built-in ones then my comment means nothing!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: