Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user to tomtom go 300 - camera download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user to tomtom go 300 - camera download
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the tomtom go 300 with a 128mb card in it, I've tried to install the speed camera files into the right place and it's saying there isn't enough room so I need to delete the folder that is in the wrong place to make room, but each time I select the folder and try to delete it freezes the pc, I'm on windows X, I notice mention of a mains adapter which I haven't got
glad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry meant to type Windows XP
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mains adaptor isn't essential if th battery has a few minutes charge left.

It may be some problem with XP and the GO. I don't use windows, I'm on a Mac. When I've had problems like this, I managed to sort them by putting the card in a card reader and connecting it to the computer without the GO being part of the system. A card reader can be got for less than £10.

I was concerned when you said that you were trying to remove a folder. The camera files should be placed individually inside the map folder. They should not be inside any other folder. Did you just move the .ov2 and .bmp files? if you transferred the others - .xls .wav .csv etc that could be the cause of your overload.

You could also try making space by removing unwanted voices. If you want English male and female, keep engm.vif and engf.vif plus data04.chk and data05.chk . Remove the other similar files EXCEPT data.chk itself which has the system sounds.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the mention of the mains adapter, they wrote that in the instructions before one was even available! All you need to do is make sure the Go is well charged so there is no possibility of it running down while it's copying.

Another thing to watch is that you WAIT for any actions to be finished before unplugging the Go. Often this is a long time after the PC looks like everything is finished. The only safe way to do this is to use the "safely remove hardware" button in the system tray.

Maybe that is what's caused your problem? I'm afraid I don't have any answers on how to remove the corrupted folder, except to try using a card reader to view the SD card, or possibly find someone with a Mac who might be able to do it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry sgould, you beat me to the "post reply" button again!
nikmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: voices etc Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. I have the TomTom Go 300 with a 128 SD card. I have just purchased a 256 card so will try again and see if it just didnt have enough space.
nikmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Communication error Reply with quote

Please ignore my last post. I thought the reply was for me. Its been a long day at work.

Re Mains Adapter though you can get one of these for the TomTom Go 300 from Argos - Cat No: 982/8915. You have to make sure you set it to the 5V setting - it has different options and then you attach the correct size adapter on the end (one with yellow end) - you will see what I mean if you purchase one. It works very well with mine and you can then keep it charging whilst downloading stuff. Cost £14.99. I have heard of people burning out their TomTom with incorrect vaultage even from their own cigarette adapter lead. Touch wood this one from Argos is fine as using correct vaultage.
glad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I use the card reader in my printer to do this??
nikmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: freezing tomtom Reply with quote

Hi glad - I had the same problem with my tomtom go 300 freezing when I tried to install more voices. I had the 128 card as well but I did manage to install all the speed cameras onto it. It was only when I tried to put the voices on. What I did in the end is wipe the card clean and use the back up I had made on my computer to put the tomtom back to normal. I used my printer as a card reader that is no problem. Just select open folder to see the files. I then deleted everything. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE BACKED UP THE CARD. I then copied my back up onto the card and it all worked fine. I then bought a 256 card from ebay and copied everything onto this then istalled the voices no problem with plenty of space. Hope this helps.
glad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but I'm not that techy so can someone explain how I back up the card on my computer
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad wrote:
sorry but I'm not that techy so can someone explain how I back up the card on my computer

Place the SD Card in the card reader / connect your TomTom

Open up the card / TomTom

Make a folder somewhere on the PC (for instance, "My Documents")

Copy the files from the tomtom/SD Card into the folder you just made.
(Make sure you copy the files, instead of 'moving' them)

Bish, bash, bosh - job's a good'un
nikmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: back up Reply with quote

Hi again glad. Just to make it clear with the last person's kind reply - he means either put card in printer/card reader or connect your tomtom with the card still in it with the usb lead. You can do either way. I found it easier using my printer as a card reader and I also saved into 'My Documents' and called it tomtom back up. When you can see all the folders (ie. Map of Great Britain and all the others) go onto Edit, Select All, and then chose 'copy selected files' then chose 'Make new folder' give it a name and then click copy. It should take about 6 - 8 minutes to copy then you are done. Hope this is of help and in laymans terms for you. Wait till you try to download cameras - that is fun Exclamation You may need help for this too. Exclamation
glad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to back up my card, delete the folder I didn't need and then tried to add the speed camera files to my card
the continental one is fine and is showing on my tomtom, but the gatso.ov2 file and the redlight.ov2 files won't paste it just says

cannot copy pocketgps_uk_gatso: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

can anyone help??
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CRC message comes about when the PC checks the data it has sent and finds that it doesn't match the data it was reading.

Have you backed up your SD card fully? Have you got about 120MB on the PC? The Map Folder is the most important and should be about 105MB.

If you are sure it is fully backed-up, you might be better off re-formatting the SD card, and then copy all of your Backup to the SD card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nikmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: continental? Reply with quote

Hi Glad - I dont think you need the continental files. I didnt put these on and had enough space on the original 128 card for all the other speed camera files (18 altogether I think). Perhaps delete these and try reloading the cameras again after you have reformatted and re-copied the back up onto your sd card. When it is all working it is absolutely the best thing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: