Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inch71 wrote:
Newbie 1234
It sounds more likely that you have blown the fuse. The fuse will always go before the unit, for saftey reasons. On the end of the cigar lighter adapter, the end that goes in the lighter socket, there is the metal springy bit. Unscrew that end, and you will find the fuse inside. It's a glass fuse, so you will be able to see if it's blown or not. If it has, just go to a DIY store and pick up a new one. Job done!!!

its not that, i wish it was, i chopped the cigar end off, so there is no fuse in the line, the line just goes straight into the I3, i have a feeling i have permanently goosed it unless you guys in knoledge central have any ideas? i was thinking that maybe the I3 has a INTERNAL fuse within the body of the I3 itself? i know people wont have opened it up yet as its new they wont want to invalidate their warrenties but if anyone has any sugestions, you may be saving a poor muppet another £200! !
Newbie1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inch71 wrote:
Newbie 1234
It sounds more likely that you have blown the fuse. The fuse will always go before the unit, for saftey reasons. On the end of the cigar lighter adapter, the end that goes in the lighter socket, there is the metal springy bit. Unscrew that end, and you will find the fuse inside. It's a glass fuse, so you will be able to see if it's blown or not. If it has, just go to a DIY store and pick up a new one. Job done!!!

its not that, i wish it was, i chopped the cigar end off, so there is no fuse in the line, the line just goes straight into the I3, i have a feeling i have permanently goosed it unless you guys in knoledge central have any ideas? i was thinking that maybe the I3 has a INTERNAL fuse within the body of the I3 itself? i know people wont have opened it up yet as its new they wont want to invalidate their warrenties but if anyone has any sugestions, you may be saving a poor muppet another £200! !
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the positive and negative the right way round..
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also does it work on batterys..i
inch71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, it's not sounding too good. I don't know if there will be an internal fuse, as that is what the one on the cigar lighter cable is for. The cylinder shaped piece of plastic, just up from the plug is there to step down the voltage, the same thing as an adapter would do if plugged into the mains. If you have cut that off aswell, then you haven't got anything to stop the full 12v going through to the unit. In which case it will be R.I.P Garmin i3. I hope you get it sorted.
Newbie1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
also does it work on batterys..i

Zogman, +ve & -ve are indeed the correct way round, and as for the batteries, it wont switch on at all!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
He already stated it won't work on batterys or cigar lighter, Confused

sorry missed that...

newbie1234...concensus has it that the unit is indeed blown..as also mentioned i think taking it back to the shop and pleading ignorance might work...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Woe is me! Reply with quote

Newbie1234 wrote:
However i got impatient and tried to hard wire it in by choping off then end of the lead and attaching the two terminals to the correct terminals of the cigarette lighter, however when i went to switch it on i got nothing, now it wont work even on batteries? have i killed it? is it fixable?

You've blown it mate. The cigarette lighter attachment has a voltage regulator in it. Crying or Very sad
Newbie1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was worth a try, ignorance is a strong point, so i will try and charm the young lady at the shop. Failing that,

Anybody want to buy a nearly new I3? 1 not so careful owner, slight problems at start-up?? offers on a postcard!

Cheers All

J
HUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
On a lighter note....does anyone know where i can get a decent case for my i3, i looked on ebay and the unit is so new that there aren't any available at the moment...

Would like one that encompasses the unit like the tomtomgo case....

Any ideas... Idea

Ditto. Have been looking around and was going to resort to a cushioned camera case. If anyone spots a specific i3 case, please could you let us know!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie1234 wrote:
i will try and charm the young lady at the shop.

Plead ignorance, you might get away with it. Failing that, Garmin do a fixed price repair service on their GPS units, they will probably exchange it for a working one for a set fee.

Good luck!
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie 1234

I know it's probably too late for your i3 but if anybody else wants to hard wire PLEASE buy an extension cigar lighter cable, then cut the plug of this then wire to car. Then just plug your original cable with the 12 volt to 5 volt plug into new extension cable.These extension cables are only about £5.
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
Newbie 1234

I know it's probably too late for your i3 but if anybody else wants to hard wire PLEASE buy an extension cigar lighter cable, then cut the plug of this then wire to car. Then just plug your original cable with the 12 volt to 5 volt plug into new extension cable.These extension cables are only about £5.

I hardwired mine using a 12v to 5v reducer from www.carnetix.com

You just need a 12v permanent feed and a 12v switched feed - like from the car stereo inputs. Connect up the reducer, and then either cut the end off the original cable, or a better idea is to cut the PC end off a spare usb cable. The red and black wires are +5V and 0V.

Means no cables lying around - and no blown up i3...

Took around 20 mins to do, and carnetix part arrived next day. V easy...
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go MaFt. Latest updates and POIs. Keep up the good work. :D :D :D
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my Garmin i3, has some good points but not quite sure if I`m happy with the screen yet. Anyone know if there is any benefit with tinkering around with the service menu. Also how do I get rid of poi`s once they have been entered onto gps. Had a quick skip through the threads but cannot see anything on these.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 16 of 39

Jump to: