Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq 4700 or Tomtom 300/500/700?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq 4700 or Tomtom 300/500/700?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: iPaq 4700 or Tomtom 300/500/700? Reply with quote

I'm a techie but a newbie to GPS systems. I'm thinking of buying either:

- iPaq 4700 (or other PDA) and a Tomtom Navigator 5 with Bluetooth, or
- One of the new Tomtom 300/500/700 units

Naturally I realize that with the PDA I do other things as as well, such as using topographical software.

1) Other than that, what are the pros and cons in either choice, when considering using them for street routing in-car?

2) A Tomtom 300/500/700 has a 320 x 240 3.5" screen with 4096 colours, while the 4700 has a 640 x 480 4.0" screen with some 6400 colours. What is the significance of this when using the Tomtom software? Is the screen of the iPaq 4700 clearly better (or worse, for some reason) for using for streer routing in-car?

3) The iPaq 4700 also has a a faster processor than the new Tomtom units (624MHz vs. 200 or 400 MHz) and more memory, is this significant?

4) Someone has noted that the iPaq 4700 may be bit of an "overkill" for street routing, since older PDAs work as well. But say I'm willing to pay more for getting a better screen and possibly a faster working system. Do I get what I pay for, when specifically considering street routing in-car?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated, but especially from those who've had the privilege of trying both the iPaq 4700 and a dedicated Tomtom unit (older GO or a new 300/500/700).
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed expense as a reason as well.

The Go will be cheaper as you will still need to buy a gps (and pda mount) for the Ipaq as well as thje TomTom software.

You say you are a techie, then go for the Ipaq as you will use the wireless and bluetooth in your normal days work. You will also use it for the Pocket Office functions as well. The screen is great and the map detail (now) is excellent, but the icons are not as smooth as I woud have liked on 4700. They probably look very good on the Go though.
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expense is not really an issue. I don't mean I want to throw money away, but I'm prepared to pay more for a better solution.

Also, as I tried to emphasize, I'm mostly interested to know which solution is better for in-car use. I can assess the PDA's other uses myself.

What do you mean by the icons not being as "smooth" as you'd like?
CoolJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4700 with tomtom 5 and an Acore Bluetooth GPS had minor trouble setting up the bluetooth but that is now solved thanks to this forum! If buying from scratch I would recommend buying tomtom GPS then it should all work from the start.

I had a 5550 previously and the 4700 is better screen easier to see. Speed wise not to much difference but the screen size does make a difference easier to see in-car and it seems to be clearer/sharper which I presume is due to increased colors.

Hope that helps in making your decision.
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolJB wrote:
I had a 5550 previously and the 4700 is better screen easier to see. Speed wise not to much difference but the screen size does make a difference easier to see in-car and it seems to be clearer/sharper which I presume is due to increased colors.

Hope that helps in making your decision.

Yes, thanks a lot!

How about the RAM? The iPaq 4700 has 64MB (and only a part if it available for running the software), whereas some other new PDA's are shipping with 128MB. Is the size of the available memory an issue, when mostly using TomTom 5 and possibly some topographical software, such as Fugawi (not at the same time)?
bdollerup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4705 with Mapopolis using Parrot's CK3300 (Handsfree and GPS). It rocks! I previously used the IAQ 2215, the difference in screen size is amazing.

<b>HP IPAQ 4705, Parrot CK3300, and Mapopolis - Loving it!</b>
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4700 and its great with tt3, the real plus is wifi, I can use the internet for free in the pub where I am typing this from. The volume for sat nav in the car is a bit low so get a mount with on board amp and speaker - alternativly for real high tech check out the O2 XDAIIs I think this unit is even better phone, pda, bt, wifi and 128mb ram - no speed diff noticable between phone or 4700 - mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I also forgot the price the O2 unit cost me less than 100 sterling - a great bargin considering what it can do - mike
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro-G wrote:

What do you mean by the icons not being as "smooth" as you'd like?

The graphics are better than TTN3, but they could still be "tighter"
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree it could be sharper but bear in mind the 4700 runs in normal screen res for a pda, to get the full res needs other software and a soft reset to activate, if in VGA mode (hi res) tt3 only displays in the top left quarter of the screen - I only use vga mode when running Ordinance Survey maps or internet access, other software just will not support vga so the auto pixel doubling cicks in and negates what should be a very clear tight image - in vga the os maps are much better, with tt3 it makes no difference - mike
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers!

mikealder wrote:
The volume for sat nav in the car is a bit low so get a mount with on board amp and speaker

OK, I'll certainly get one of those. However, I foresee a need to use a more "private" solution from time to time, due to baby sleeping, wife annoyed etc. so:

1) How do you control the sound volume of the iPAQ hx4700 when using TomTom software? Do you have to go through a bunch of menus?

2) Can the programmable buttons of the hx4700 be set up to control the volume, one button for volume up and another for volume down?

3) Does the hx4700 work with a bluetooth headsets (the single ear type with a microphone) to receive the voice instructions?

4) If it does work, can a bluetooth headset be connected to the hx4700 for voice instructions AND to the phone for voice calls? Or at least switch quickly when you receive a call. Is anyone aware of such a solution?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: