Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4470 for palm - software only?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4470 for palm - software only?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee - Just got my hands on "SmartST V3 for Palm - Pan European". Sing out if anyone has any questions.
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will you sell it to me?
bellbrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dununda - do you know if it works on the T5?

Thx, b.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellbrie - No I do not know, I am Sorry.
Sure Matty - The way I feel about it at the moment - You can have it! It is giving me some registration grief. Navman are onto it and hopefully sorting it out though. There seem to be some issues with the Palm SmartST3 that I will mention later when I get it up and running properly.
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get it from because it still isnt on the navman webshite
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superalarm in Redfern, Sydney, Australia. James is the man to deal with although I doubt that they will ship OS.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing with my Palm SmartSTv3.0 for several days now and have come across a few things. Here are my experiences so far. The product I have is "SmartST v3 for Palm with Pan European Maps". It comes with 1 prog + 3 map disks and a USB card reader.
Please excuse me if I am just rehashing SmartSTv2.0 stuff as I have not used that version:

SmartST Desktop v3.2.1.280
Installation and set up.
Desktop and Palm software installed easily.
Selecting Help > Read User Manual or Help > Read Quickstart guide does not check to see if you have Acrobat reader installed and tries to install another copy Acrobat reader. I cancelled out the installation and thereafter Help > Read User Manuals etc worked fine. Perhaps this is because I have the new Adobe reader v7 installed and the package does not check for it.

Installation and Activation of maps is Problematic/confusing. The statement "Click activate to use your credit to activate the region - Warning this cannot be reversed." I thought "use your credit" was a typo meaning use "your credit card". So I did not choose this option as I already have paid for the maps. Instead I used the "enter map key" menu option to no avail. As a result I spent many hours unsuccessfully trying to register maps :x . Why on earth they don't they say something sensible like "Click activate to use your Map Key to activate the region - Warning this cannot be reversed." beats me.

Once I got this sorted out I discovered my Pan Europe pack came with the wrong map key Crying or Very sad . Instead of being Pan European it allowed only a single region. Navman subsequently provided me with the correct Pan Europe key and the remainder of the maps unlocked fine.

My SmartST v3.0 desktop hangs and requires a restart after going through a successful map activation process. Thereafter it is fine though.

Using the program:

Smart ST desktop manual makes no mention of what the GLOBE button in the menus is for.

Have finally worked out that it is used to set program behaviour when inserting a Map disk. Selected it causes the globe to move and focus on the area covered by any map CD you place in your drive. Unchecked and you need to spin the globe from where ever it was to the new map area. Leave it checked I say. The icon to the left of the magnifying glass indicates if you have an SD card in the reader.

SmartST Palm v3.00.0019
Running on a Tungsten T3. 256 & 1GB SD cards. Contrary to NAVMANs website FAQ where it says max 256mb, I am using a 1GB Toshiba/Kensington SD card. It seems to work just fine. There are some speed issues however and I guess they relate to 1) Card speed, 2) amount of map data on the card and to a lesser extent 3) How many of the maps are activate in setup > maps.

Indicative load times:

With 1 map and 24MB of data loaded it takes about 2 seconds to launch SmartST on my T3
With 13 maps and over 300MB of data loaded it takes 35 seconds to launch.
With 35 maps and over 900MB of data loaded it takes a whopping 40 seconds to launch.
The strange thing is that if I go to Setup>Maps and uncheck all 35 maps it still takes 27 seconds to load. I would have expected it to drop right back to a couple of seconds. It appears to still be accessing all the map data in someway even though none are selected for use? I'd interested in others users thoughts and suggestions here.

The program appears rather SLOW to scroll maps
I have experimented with turning off unnecessary stuff like Map Grid and Topography and it speed things somewhat. Turned on Fast Panning and it speeds things up at the expense of having non contiguous maps and gaps when scrolling. You can scroll quick but the new area takes few seconds to redraw.

Route demonstrator stops and locks up the application after about 30 seconds requiring a reset. This problem was transient and seems to have fixed it self now.

Entering addresses from Palm contact sometimes causes a fatal exception. Particularly if you select an address not formatted to suit SmartSTs criteria.

SmartSt GPS Status screen - There are only 12 indicator blocks on the reception indicator so it will never show 16 or 20 for the newer units but as long as the signal is getting through, who cares. The direction of travel indicator arrow is invariably totally Wrong but that does not bother me. Smart STv3 has No problem talking to my BT77 Nemerix GPS.

For any one who is interested you can fit a stack on maps on a 1GB card. On this card I have 66mb spare and have fitted Southern UK to Italy including all of France, Switzerland, Austria and some of Germany. (Room for about two more maps.)

In an attempt to speed thing up a little I have been playing around with a free Palm overclocking utility called PXA Clocker which winds the T3s chip speed up from 400mhz to 600mhz. This speed things in SmartST somewhat although you need to be careful using this app.

So as I can have all my maps with me at all times without having to cart the discs around I have created Virtual discs of all three map CDs and the application on my Tablet PC. It has a card reader built in so it is great tool for loading and unloading maps. One trick here is to ensure the images discs have the same volume label as the originals. This is required so that you can successfully check for software updates on the web. This procedure should have no copyright ramifications as all the usual security restrictions with map activation still apply. Just more convenient to load a virtual disc than to scrounge up and damage a real one.

As far as I can see it already includes all the ST3 service pack features for other Operating Systems and no updates are currently available. If you are considering ST3 for the Palm and you intend to load a lot of maps get a fast SD card! Overall it seems like it is an impressive piece of software. Now I want to go on holidays to try it out in anger... In the mean time I will be really interested to hear any thoughts and suggestion on how to get the most out of ST3 for the Palm.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmartST 3 is unreliable with Ferry Crossings.

I keep getting this error:
"The Start and End routing points do not seem to be joined by a full connected road network Destination ID = 0"
Even though the relevant Ferry crossing maps are activated, visible and "Avoid Ferry crossings" is unchecked. Dover to Calais and Messina to Reggio Calabria are two cases in point. On the other hand Portsmouth to Le Havre builds a route just fine. Go figure? Applicable terrestrial maps and Europe base maps are all loaded and active. A bug in the Palm app or a route disconuity in the maps perhaps?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dover to Calais works fine for me, using the PiN/PPC version, although if I try to route from Dover to Boulogne, it takes me to Calais and then by road to Boulogne! I don't have the Italian maps loaded, so can't check that one.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To rule out too many maps and too big a card (1GB) being the cause, I loaded just Southern England and Northern France, Ferries and Europe base maps on an empty SD128. I still cannot get it to consistently route across the channel. (Even when selecting respective Ferry terminals as departure and destination.) So it would seem to be either a Palm specific problem. Alternatively it could be a problem with the ST3 Maps.
db247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work well with a fortuna clip on bt gps receiver?
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it should work with any BT GPS. Mine worked fine with a T3 and BT77.
dununda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned Dununda after using my Smart STv3 Pan Europe day in day out for the past 2.5 months whilst on holidays in Italy and France. As a result I no longer need it and it is for sale at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=111945#111945. Any reasonable offers considered as I wish to recoup some of the outlay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: