Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to create a custom speed cam alert tone for garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to create a custom speed cam alert tone for garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dididocky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: How to create a custom speed cam alert tone for garmin Reply with quote

Hi all, thought i would post this here as i could not find anything with this information on when i searched the forums, except just the voice alerts and have been wanting to change my speed camera alert as the garmin one done my head in and the voice one is great but i feel like a naughty school kid when it goes off. and if you are still in a different speed zone from the camera it gets really annoying going off constant for overspeed.

having not found anything on here i have done some messing and found i could do it with the pgps database. i selected garmin poi loader under system and then the europe consilidated by type file without voice alerts.

when its downloaded unzip it and leave it open

go to this site which has hundreds of FREE! alert sound clips:
http://soundbible.com/free-sound-effects-1.html

pick one you like and download it in mp3 or wav dependant on your device
then place the sound file in your open camera database folder
make 5 copies in this case. then copy the name of each camera file and rename 1 sound file to match. so you will have 3 files each with the same name for every camera type ie 1x excel file 1x bitmap and 1x mp3/wav file all with the same name for all 5 different camera file types.

when done use poi loader and stick it on your device its a good idea just to rename the poi when u load it in so you know which is the modded one.

then run in simulator mode near a cam location to test.

i would imagine it will work with speedzoned database too but you need to make and rename alot more sound files then so i wont be doing that as i don't have the need.
i dont have a tom tom or any other supported device so i cannot try it on those but maybe someone else can and post any result.

hope that works for others and if i have completely missed any post with this info already then i apologise and feel free to remove this.

Quick update this works perfect on my nuvi 765t but not on my 1310.

ok sorted that problem now, to get this working on devices which do not support the mp3 alert and only use wav file, download the wav file from the affore mentioned web site instead. set up the database folder as mentioned above.
you will need to download a file called SOX.exe. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ov1mynmjndw/sox.exe
place it in your POI loader folder usuall location is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\POI Loaders
then run poi loader in manual mode.
i did delete the garmin cyclops sample file so i dont know if that would conflict in any way. but aside from that when i ran it it worked fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: