Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 Playing up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 Playing up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: 940 Playing up Reply with quote

Evening all,

My 940 is playing silly every time I use it now (random locking up and then rebooting) so I reckon it's time to try a hard reset and use clearflash - I have a recent windows backup and have downloaded clearflash, so what's the recommended procedure now guys?

Cheers,
Rob.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happening to my 950 LIVE as well. I'm not convinced the unit is at fault but I suspect that it may be to do with Traffic HD reception. Can you tell if it was trying to get a traffic update when it crashes? You might need to keep a close eye on it to be able to tell.

Z.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect your TT to the PC, close Home if it starts. (When you've finished running Clearflash, right click the drive letter of your TT and select Eject so that you disconnect it properly).

Double click Clearflash.exe to run it and follow the prompts. Be advised it is a very unsatisfactory program to run, because it gives no indication of it doing anything, merely says something like it has been installed! The recommendation is to run it three times.

I ran it a couple of days ago and (under Windows 7, 64-bit) it said a couple of times that the program may not have installed successfully and would I like to try again, so I said yes and it did (still with no indication that anything was happening!). I ran it several times and had that popup more than once. I wish someone on here could tell us what, if anything, this program does - sure, I know it's supposed to clear flash, but does it? And how? All I've ever read is that TT say it's good for you and I read that like I read they say their speed camera database and MapShare are good for you. Rolling Eyes I honestly don't know if it does any good - people have said it does, but in my viewing of posts, it almost always is run at the same time as some other attempts to solve problems (sorry, Issues, Challenges), so who can show that Clearflash on its own is a panacea?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dennis,
I see what you mean about not knowing if it has actually done anything! - the only way I could tell anything was happening is that the 'disk access' screen appears on the device itself.
Who writes these types of program that don't give any user feedback!?!

Anyway, I formatted the device itself (which I think is probably a better option) as well before running clearflash three times, then removed and reinstalled the application just to be sure - I'll see how it goes this morning.

Zardoz - I'll try to keep an eye on it to see if that's the case but not that easy while battling the BMW drivers on the M62! Laughing
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zardoz wrote:
It's happening to my 950 LIVE as well. I'm not convinced the unit is at fault but I suspect that it may be to do with Traffic HD reception. Can you tell if it was trying to get a traffic update when it crashes? You might need to keep a close eye on it to be able to tell.

I'm convinced the traffic HD updates do have a link to the screen freeze and lock-up issues. As you may have seen from other threads, I had the screen freeze issue, which has been (so far) resolved after TomTom fully reflashed and reloaded the unit.

However I've had exactly the same lockup and reboot issue described here a couple of times when I navigated into the Traffic screen of the TomTom to see what was ahead of me - hard to say if a reload will fix that.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, touch wood, not a single lock up and reboot today. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: