Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SpeedCam Database in Belgium and Netherlands
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SpeedCam Database in Belgium and Netherlands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdehults
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: SpeedCam Database in Belgium and Netherlands Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a new member of PocketGPSWorld and I was quite surprised to see how few speed camaras where actually reported for Europe. I thought it was Europe-oriented but it seems focus mainly on UK.

I was received the TomTom speed camera pre-installed but intead of paying to receive the TomTom updated, I was adviced to used PocketWorld which was supposed to be much more complete.

PocketWorld is probably still building up the Europe database but i thought that this website could help.

http://www.flitspaal.nl

I've checked all the radar I knew and they are all on this website. This website doesn't create a database than can be downloaded on GPS but it spots all the camera and has an impressive database!!!

It would definitelly be worth comparing your database with theirs and place the missing one on pocketgpsworld.

The problem is that now that i have pocketworld installed, I have to be very carefull not to drive too fast because it doesn't have 80% of the camera in Europe. (if i looks at the camera available in Belgium on pocketworld, it's about 150, whereas there are 1500 camera reported on flitspaal.nl

http://www.flitspaal.nl/redirect.html?p_redirect_url=fl_flitspalen.zoeken?p_landcode=BE

Unfortunnately it's in Dutch but the ressource are so great that language should stop you from looking at it and grab a dictionnary to understand the 10 word you need to know to check the camera database and location.

That would be great if pocketworkd could update the Europe database.

Also, as a last comment regarding the submission page...
I've submitted quite a few speed cam as 8 out of 10 where not on my GPS (with pocketword installed) and i would be GREAT if the map could also show the unverified camera submitted already by other users, so that we are more motivated to submit cameras. Right now, we don't know if someone already sent something to Pocketgpsworld and that's frustrating. It would be nice if you could put a little question mark logo on the map where people have submitted theirs.

Thanks a lot!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: SpeedCam Database in Belgium and Netherlands Reply with quote

bdehults wrote:

[snip] and i would be GREAT if the map could also show the unverified camera submitted already by other users, so that we are more motivated to submit cameras. Right now, we don't know if someone already sent something to Pocketgpsworld and that's frustrating. It would be nice if you could put a little question mark logo on the map where people have submitted theirs.
This is not the first time this has been requested. There is some discussion going on as to whether the release of pendings will cause more problems than it's worth. If all pendings were the same icon then lots of comments such as 'there is no camera here' when it's a mobile site would be made and without being verified by a trusted verifier it is feared that this would affect the accuracy of our database. Sad As a matter of interest, I'm on the side of releasing pendings in the EU, (until we can get more verifiers on the continent) as I'm certain that it would improve our EU databse, at least in terms of a more accurate quantity of cams, even if the location is a bit out and the risk of non existent cams.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why you could not run our data side by side with TomTom's. Many people do so.

Although we have gaps in some countries, the benefit to those who report is lifetime free subscriptions and we will close the gaps in our coverage in time.

We cannot use data from other sites, it is both improper and goes against our stated aims.

As for seeing cameras, why do you need to know? Surely you report regardless and that way we build up a picture of that camera, if you do not report because someone else has beaten you to it then we would only get one or two reports per camera and lose that valuable information.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Marinemw post, which gives you an idea of the problem. I would guess many cameras in Europe have been reported by Brits on holiday there or day trips.

Quote:
Hi all Aussie's (and travellers too)
When searching the "free POI's in Australia" you will find very few, come on fellow Australians, spend a little time to put together some usefull POI's for locals and visitors alike.

I have travelled all over Europe and UK and used many of the "banks, campsites, hotels, B&B's, tourist, places of interest etc etc" and it certainly makes life easy.

I submit all camera locations I come across and compiled the VW service centre group for all of Oz (personal interest of course) available in the "Australian POI" section, but there is not much else available for all of Oz.

Come on guys n gals, there must be a lot of us out there to put some data together.

Rgds to all from Oz

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avons-nous beaucoup de lecteurs français?

Avons-nous beaucoup de lecteurs belges?

Non abbiamo molti lettori italiani?

Haben wir viele deutsche Leser?

Hebben we veel Nederlandse lezers?

(Apologies to anyone whose native language has just been murdered by Google Translate!!)

Could we find a bilingual reader from each of the countries, who could translate an appeal for local reporting of cameras and POIs, into their native language?

Do the editors have access to the European Press? Could we get some local interest generated that way?

While we can very slowly build up a database by collecting UK visitors' submissions, the database would flourish faster if we had the locals working with us. I'm sure that the "community aspect" would be even more valuable since my European acquaintances tend to travel to more different countries, by car, than we Islanders do.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: