Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 950 LIVE - WHERE'S MY GPS STATUS INDICATOR GONE?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 950 LIVE - WHERE'S MY GPS STATUS INDICATOR GONE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom 950 LIVE - WHERE'S MY GPS STATUS INDICATOR GONE? Reply with quote

Just got my 950 LIVE (ordered 4pm yesterday from Amazon - arrived at 8am today !) I've been having a little play with it and the GPS status indicator is missing from the status bar. I haven't been able to find any option in the settings to get it back - please don't tell me that they have removed this very important info from the options on the 950 !!!
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH OH - just got off the phone from TT tech - they have removed this option for all the x50's (even though the TT website product page for the 950 shows a pic of the 950 with the satellites staus showing in the status bar !)

So now you can't see at a glance how good a satellite fix you have - and it takes 5 stabs at the screen to get that info from the Status & Information page ! For Gods sake what's the matter with those idiots at TT - have they completely lost sight of the basics ? I reckon the most important bit of info for any SatNav is how good a signal it's getting....

Now I have to decide whether to keep it or send it back - shouldn't have any prob getting a refund when the pic on the TT website is clearly misleading !!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait until Navcore 9 is rolled out to the other devices Laughing Out Loud

What else have they removed/hidden/forgotten about/decided is no longer useful???
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
I reckon the most important bit of info for any SatNav is how good a signal it's getting....

The average user, however, would be happy to know if they have a signal or not - how strong it is doesn't really matter as it will snap to the nearest road anyway. Does the screen still go grey-scale when the signal is lost?

The most important thing for me (and which they are still lacking) is having an up-to-date map. They could even get the users to send in corrections for them to incorporate into new maps. Oh! Embarassed Mad
Brodit ProClip mount
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

The average user, however, would be happy to know if they have a signal or not - how strong it is doesn't really matter as it will snap to the nearest road anyway. Does the screen still go grey-scale when the signal is lost?

I think you may be making assumptions there - the reaction of the people in my office who all use TT's (because we provide 'em!) was dismay that the status bar indicator has gone. I always like to be able to see at a glance how good a signal I am getting.... it's kinda reassuring.

I don't know if the screen goes grey - I've been hiding the damn thing under my desk and wrapping it up in a jacket but it still gets a signal !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
I don't know if the screen goes grey - I've been hiding the damn thing under my desk and wrapping it up in a jacket but it still gets a signal !!

The screen does indeed go grey if you lose the GPS signal, the remainder of your post I quoted kind of tells you why the GPS status indicator isn't really needed. De-cluttering the display has allowed some of the other items to be easier to pick out by making larger font size - Mike
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The screen does indeed go grey if you lose the GPS signal, the remainder of your post I quoted kind of tells you why the GPS status indicator isn't really needed. De-cluttering the display has allowed some of the other items to be easier to pick out by making larger font size - Mike

..... in your opinion !

No doubt time will tell if others will miss the indicator in the status bar or not...

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Quote:

..... in your opinion !

No doubt time will tell if others will miss the indicator in the status bar or not...
It's a bit like having a red LED on the front of the telly, so that you know that it's getting power, while you're watching it!! Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:

My opinion is that I don't think there will be as much backlash against this as there was against the smaller compass / loss of "direction indicator" function. Evil or Very Mad
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
They could even get the users to send in corrections for them to incorporate into new maps.
Omigod what a brill idea - I wish I'd thought of that!! Just imagine, millions of TT users all sending in map corrections. A real winner. And they'd get their roads surveyed for free. No brainer. Just need to think of some way to do it - maybe a button on screen? Then an upload facility? I'm off to get my programming hat on.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother Dennis. TT have half done it already (it appears), they just need to get it fully working now Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Don't bother Dennis. TT have half done it already (it appears), they just need to get it fully working now Twisted Evil

Damn! I'll just have to go back to my previous hair-brained idea of setting up some sort of system for real time warnings of traffic jams - rather more ambitious than my half-brained ideas of setting up the TT as a hands free bluetooth phone or with computer voices doing Text to Speech instructions and stuff. I suppose somebody's already come up with a database of speed camera locations? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the EPS indicator then, the satellite bars used to turn into the EPS symbol when signal was lost?

I must admit that I no longer use the satellite bars, I used to when I had the pre SIRF chipsets, but nowdays I no longer need to no if the signal strength as there is always sufficient (except when underground).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
What happened to the EPS indicator then, the satellite bars used to turn into the EPS symbol when signal was lost?

Look to the lower left and you can see the EPT symbol:

Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I think that screenshot is fake done in Photoshop. It must be, it is showing LIVE traffic incidents! Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, if you use the Greys map colour scheme how do you know you have lost a satellite signal?????

It would be nice to have the option of turning it on or off in the status bar options??

Having never seen Navcore 9 running I can't comment if that option is present or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: