Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with itinerary
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with itinerary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Problem with itinerary Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried using itineraries for the first time, and the planning seemed fine. However, the arrival time when I started was that of the first waypoint, and not the final destination, which is what I expected. Then, when I arrived at the first waypoint, I had to park up so that I could play with the menu to mark it as visited, allowing me to go to the next waypoint. It appears that itineraries is just a series of separate routes.

What I had hoped for was in effect a route to destination, via a number of points, automatically ticking off the points as I passed them. Is there any way to get this for more than one "route via"
(TT730T)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you input your itinerary, after entering the first one, click it and then "Mark as Waypoint", all the others will automatically be marked as waypoints as you enter them and you'll have to click the last one and mark it as Destination. As you travel, it'll drop waypoints automatically as you pass them.

Be aware that the itinerary MAY NOT take you completely to the waypoint, merely somewhere "close" - and "close" might be a helluva long way away!! I did it once with the wish to pass through a village where I once lived and discovered that it took me "past" about half a mile away!! So use itinerary with that in mind.

You can get the same inaccuracies when using "Travel via" - often, coming home from Exeter, I don't want to do the dogleg up the M5 to junction 19, then across eastwards, so I do "Travel via Honiton (or Yeovil)", which does me just fine. BUT it doesn't take me through Honiton or Yeovil, simply along the A30/A303 nearby.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Be aware that the itinerary MAY NOT take you completely to the waypoint, merely somewhere "close" - and "close" might be a helluva long way away!! I did it once with the wish to pass through a village where I once lived and discovered that it took me "past" about half a mile away!! So use itinerary with that in mind.
To overcome this issue it is better to use a Point on Map, rather than the City/Town/Village name, and placing the Waypoint directly on the road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TomDavison, When creating Itineraries on your TT you must also choose to go by "Shortest Route" other wise it will miss most of the WayPoints off of the route. Be warned though, the "shortest Route" will not be the fastest or most logical and could be very time consuming, make sure you preview and edit the route before blindly following it.

TT will not Auto sort the Itineraries into the most efficient route. you will visit them in the order you input them.

I know it defeats the object somewhat but I tend to treat my overall route as several short routes using the "Travel Via" option - i.e. Lets say I am at my start point and I have 4 way points and a destination. I select navigate to waypoint 2 "fastest route", let TT calculate a route, then "Travel Via" waypoint 1 and follow the route. When past Waypoint 1 and before waypoint 2 I reset TT to "Navigate to " waypoint3 "fastest Route" , then "travel Via" waypoint 2. etc. etc. all the way to my final destination.
It will be easier for en-route programming if you pre-set your waypoints as favourites, or, if you intend to ever visit them again as POI's in a specific POI category

Alternatively and for a much better In-Car_Experience use online free 3rd party applications like TYRE or The Houghi Script before setting off to plan an itinerary and load it onto your TT. This offers traveling on exactly the route you prefer to travel using GoogleMaps to set it up and no en-route reprogramming once you have transfered it to the itn folder.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi TomDavison, When creating Itineraries on your TT you must also choose to go by "Shortest Route" other wise it will miss most of the WayPoints off of the route.
Not strictly true. I NEVER use 'Shortest Route', always fastest, and the routing has always been OK, but you must use a specific location and not a general area such as City/Town/Village.

It must also be at a point that the TT can navigate to.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the good old days, I tried itineraries for verifying cameras - e.g. input as waypoints all the PMobiles (POIs) I was going after. That didn't work accurately either.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
Hi TomDavison, When creating Itineraries on your TT you must also choose to go by "Shortest Route" other wise it will miss most of the WayPoints off of the route.
Not strictly true. I NEVER use 'Shortest Route', always fastest, and the routing has always been OK, but you must use a specific location and not a general area such as City/Town/Village..

Oldboy, this is the nth time I am indebted to you. As DennisN, I used to try setting itineraries for verifying cameras and it missed most of them unless they were on, or very close to, the route for getting directly to my final destination. I discovered having to set itineraries for shortest route. However, the final route was so convoluted and long I experimented and use the "fixes" i detailed above.

But you I absolutely right, I have just set my TT to do a most ridiculous route with lots of double backs, dead ends and "U" turns and not a single waypoint is by-passed.

Thank you.

TomDavison, Please ignore most of my previous post. Do still consider looking at TYRE or The Houghi Script though. (I think!)

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: