Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920T not connecting to computer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920T not connecting to computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: 920T not connecting to computer Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me with my problem. Tried a search but it's difficult to choose the right search words.

Had my 920T for a long time. I had not used it for a few weeks so I charged it this morning on the TT docking cradle. Used it on a journey (connected to the car's power) but, when I left for home, noticed it had lost my Home setting and realised I had not had any camera warnings on my journey. Thought I better restore my last backup just after installing 8.350 but whenever I connect to my computer (and I've tried two computers) I get the usual 'do you want to connect' but when I say yes, the 920T switches off and will not restart. I've tried resetting it a few times for over 15 seconds. I can turn it on when not connected to the computer and it shows almost full battery power but will not come on when connected to the computer.

Please help!

TIA

norm
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'resetting', is that using a paperclip in the reset hole? Should be.

Also, when connected to the computer is it recognized as an external drive using Explorer? If yes,do you have a backup (hopefully with Explorer, not Home). If so, try a restore.

If no backup..

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then you can delete all the loose files in the root of the unit. NO Folders or their contents.

Connect again using Home and it should offer to dl and install the application. Aceept it and try again.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I was resetting with a pin in the hole. The problem is it will not switch on at all when connected to the computer so it cannot be recognised by it. I have plenty of backups but cannot restore them as it stays switched off.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's pretty well charged up (2-3 hours minumum)?
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's showing pretty full but I've just put it back on charge and will leave it there a couple of hours. Never had this before, though.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that if you were to turn it on while docked and say 'yes' to connect to the computer then it shuts down?

You can see if anything here helps...

Another thought..you say you've tried it on two different computers and it still shuts down. Using the same dock?

If so, perhaps it is the dock that is at fault. Do you have a mini usb connecter you can try?
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'm about to give up! After a long recharge, I managed to connect and restore a backup. Then it wouldn't connect again. After another 6 attempts, it connected. My backup was 8.350 so it upgraded to 8.351. So far so good! But now I cannot do an Explorer backup. Keeps stopping after about 5%. Tried 8 times! Also tried a backup using ViceVersa software and that comes up with an error partway through that the wrong diskette is in the drive.

Think I'll give up and get a 940. Was looking at the XL IQ until I realised it does not have TTS. Found a good price on the 940 at Dell - currently just £288 with free shipping.

Will probably try to sell my 920 on ebay as possibly faulty. Maybe someone can get it to work!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 920 have an SD Card slot? If so, and you have a Windows Explorer backup try copying it onto an SD Card and switching it on. If the internal memory is knackered then running it from an SD Card might work....

Also if you do get it connected try a CHKDSK

Run a Disk Error check

- Click Start My Computer and then right-click the removable drive for your TomTom device.
- Click Properties.
- Select the Tools tab.
- Under Error checking click Check Now...
- Tick both boxes and then click Start.
- For further information in how to perform a disk error check, please click on http://www.tomtom.com/8324

Finally have a look at the contacts on the Home Dock and the bottom of the unit. Look for any corrosion or discolouring. Sometimes rubbing then carefully with a rubber (eraser) can help clean the contacts.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems after not using the TT for a while and the battery drained. Even after recharging for ages, it would only connect using a USB lead and not the desktop adapter.

Try using a different lead in a different USB socket. Also be prepared to recharge it overnight (even though it says it's fully charged.

We won't let you give up that easily. Cool
Brodit ProClip mount
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much tried all of that. I formatted the internal memory before restoring the backup. Still had Chkdsk errors. At one point I had to install the software on my SD card to get Home to recognise it (as very helpfully suggested somewhere on the forum).

Think I will put 8.351 and the maps on the SD card and leave it there and just put mp3s etc on internal memory. Still thinking of getting the 940 now before the 950 is announced in a few months. £268 after the cashback is a pretty good price. Probably just my 'must have the latest gadget' taking over! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have exactly the same issue as I do with a 720.

The internal memory started to die quite slowly, causing some weird errors. For example, I could copy a file (any file) to the memory, see it was there and open it fine, but then once I had disconnected and reconnected from the PC, it would have disappeared or just be un-openable.

Over two or three weeks it got steadily worse; re-formatting and reinstalling worked for a while, until eventually you could not even format it at all.

That was over six months ago, and I have been running the entire machine off a large SD card ever since with no problems at all.
The only niggle is that 9 times out of 10, Home will not recognise the Go itself if I plug it into the USB on the computer. Instead, I have to pop the SD card out and put it in a card reader; Home then works with it just fine.

So don't give up on the 920 just yet!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: