Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA or Garmin Oregon ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA or Garmin Oregon ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrilliantTrees
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: PDA or Garmin Oregon ??? Reply with quote

Hi everyone new member so go easy on me if there's some dumb questions below

I'm considering my first GPS purchase and am currently reviewing my options and wondered if anyone could chip in with some advice.

I intend to use Memory Map on my PC to plan routes etc and have already purchased the os Lake District Maps for upcoming holiday

I like the look of the Oregon and the functionality looks extensive but I'm a little put off by the Topo maps perhaps not being as detailed as MM and the limited Discoverer Maps that are available and their shocking price Mad and that they only appear to come on SD card so no chance of keeping a backup safe and sound indoors. What I do like is Touch functionality and the fact that it seems to be a unit that I could "grow" into. I understand its got Geo Caching support for instance which is something that I know very little about.

I've also been looking at a PDA solution and had considered the HP 214. This I understand will run MM so I guess it means that I only need to buy my mapping just once? and I guess it will also run Other mapping software for areas that MM doesn't cover overseas.

I guess the PDA is gonna be a little fragile in the field so I'd need to budget for some sort of protection, will this be expensive and limit the touchscreen element of the 214?

If I paired this with a BlueTooth GPS like a Holux M 1000 (or other suggestions please that don't exceed £50ish) is this going to give me as good a tracking device as the Oregon in terms of performance/accuracy

Also once the GPS device is Paired with the PDA does the PDA display Compass & Odometer data and all other GPS type fields like the Oregon but with the benefit of real os maps

Also what's the battery life like on a PDA, is it going to die on me 2 or 3 hours into a walk and would I need to take a spare battery.

Finally if I ever do discover what Geo Caching is all about does a PDA solution works with this as the Oregon seems to do

As you can probably tell I'm a little confused.

Put me out of my misery please
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oregon will be more rugged in the field and may have better battery life.

If you buy a (Windows Mobile) PDA then with Memory Map you download the application to the PDA from MM on the PC all within the one licence. I use it on a IPAQ which I keep in a Aquapac. I use an separate stylus which works on the touch screen through the Aquapac although in very sunny weather it can be hard to read.

Yes, you can run other software too - but with MM you can add maps from other sources (unlike, for example, Satmap which only understands its own map format). I have scanned in some maps and used Google maps and Open Street Map with MM. Battery life may be an issue - I was getting about 7 hours out of a 1700mah battery but I found a 2850mah for my IPAQ 5720. If you can't find a high capacity battery for the 214 then think of an external battery such as Just Mobile Gum 4400mah which should keep it going for days.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the PDA functionality then you will want a PDA, if not then I'd take a close look at the Oregon and of course also consider Satmap's Active10. My personal favourite.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon thread here:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73252
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap active10 is the best solution although you will end up having to purchase your maps all over again (same applies with the Garmin device though).

If you want to go down the PDA route consider an Otter Box for the PDA these add waterproof and shock proof elements making the PDA usable in the field, I use the 1900 model with a few of my PDA's see Here I think Memory Map also sell these in the UK which should bring the postage costs down a little compared to shipping from the USA.

As for a Bluetooth receiver I noticed that the TomTom BT GPS unit is on special off er from Here at under £25 its quite a bargain and will work well with the MM software on a PDA, this offer only runs till 16:00Hr today though! - Mike
BrilliantTrees
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out and about for a few days so only just had a chance to digest your comments.

Thanks to all of you for chipping in with advice.

Thanks to eyeQue for your links to your Oregon blog very informative. I appreciate that the Oregon will be more rugged in the field but am worried about the cost of having to layout for the maps again on top of the MM maps for my PC. In your opinion is it sufficient to just get the Topo GB V2 and stick this on an Oregon or do you really need to budget for the Discoverer as the SD only option on Discoverer is a) expensive and b)really inflexible in terms of a backup. I understand that the Topo comes on a CD/DVD so I won't have to risk damaging it on the hill - but is it any good and assuming I've planned my routes correctly on MM will it be sufficient to get me around.????

The PDA option attracts me because I'd be getting more than just a GPS for my money but I'd be interested in knowing more about the compromises here. Is there something in GPS "mode" that a PDA simply can not do?

The HP 214 unit comes with a 2200Mah battery and originally I'd thought I'd need to buy the 3600Mah extended life battery BUT

jolly47roger is this the Just Mobile Gum device you were talking about as this looks like a bargain price for something so good. Has anyone here used one of these and is it all it's cracked up to be and will it fit a HP 214 PDA. I assume it can also be used with Ipods Mobiles etc as well which looks v cool.

http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=/X10/_T-Mobile_MDA_Touch_USB_Portable_Battery_Pack

I didn't get in in time for the TomTom BT GPS unit at that price but have found the Holux 1000 for what I think is a good price

http://www.buytech.co.uk/product.php?productid=207285

A couple of questions here

In the sub £45 category what's the best GPS add on device for me to consider the Holux looks very small and battery life looks good but is this latest technology?

Will using an OtterBox cause the Bluetooth connection between the GPS and the HP 214 to struggle or am I gonna get a good signal when one of the units is effectively encased in plastic?

Also Otterbox do a 2600 model at about 1/2 price of the 1900

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/accessories_rugged_waterproof_cases.html

Is this going to be suitable

Finally my original question still stands - the Oregon as well as displaying maps also has screens showing Compass Odometer distance to next waypoint etc all of which I guess come in useful.

Will a PDA be suitable for displaying this sort of data and does it come embedded on MM mobile or is it in the GPS device and sends this over via Bluetooth???? See told you I was a beginner Very Happy

Thanks in advance for your help on the 2nd bout of questions.

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they are selling off the 2600 series case at that price its a bargain!
The 1900 is better supported though for add on parts such as a belt holder/ GPS Pod (which you can turn in to an extra battery pack if you are handy with a soldering iron).

As for the Bluetooth signal working with the device encased in Plastic don't worry about this it makes no difference at all to BT reception.

You can get distance to go to next waypoint using MM on a PDA, to be honest I would go for MM on a PDA before considering the Garmin Topo as its woefully inadequate compared to OS maps, and whilst the newer Garmin devices are now sporting OS topo maps this is a very costly option. If you don't want the Satmap device (which is the best IMHO) then a PDA with MM is probably a good starter for ten, even more so as you already have the software and maps.

The Holux 1000 is a credible unit, also consider the qStarz devices as these have a much better battery life - Mke
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was the battery from Morpeth mobiles - I'm about to order one myself. It would recharge the GPS unit too, I guess, if that has USB charging.

Since I've been using Memory-map on a PDA (20 months) I have never downloaded a route nor waypoints. With a moving map and exact position I've never needed to. I upload the track for analysis and make Marks along the way when I'm writing up a walk (e.g for Walkingworld) - but it is a very different way of using a GPS than I was using before.
BrilliantTrees
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys

I took the plunge and ordered a HP 214 PDA which should hopefully arrive next week.

I think I will go for a QStarz product on the GPS front as battery life looks very good.

mikealder the current devices on their site look to be the 816 & 818 but there is a ebay shop selling what I assume is an old variant, the BT- Q800 is this a really old/obsolete chip set or is it comprable to their 816/818 devices as price looks very good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Qstarz-BT-GPS-Receiver-BT-Q800-30hrs-battery_W0QQitemZ260291752098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item3c9a98f0a2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1690%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Many Thanks for sorting me out
BrilliantTrees
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys just a quick note to thank everyone for the advice I received both in this thread and via pm's.

The HP 214 arrived and has been loaded with Memory Maps Lake District Maps and I'm considering all the National Park maps as well Very Happy

The QStarz Q800 is a cracking little device for the £14.99 price tag and I gave it a test run last weekend and it held a signal all day without fail. Not sure if I'm getting the full 30 hours but it's more than 20 which is plenty of time.

I ordered an OtterBox 1900 to complete the ensemble but it turned up broken Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Still the eBay shop has been great about it and has sent a replacement unit today without waiting for me to return the original.

The guy gets a Thumbs Up for his speedy response on this.

One further piece of advice though chaps. The LANYARD kit for the OtterBox comes in at £20(ish) + delivery, which is a lot for what amounts to a piece of string Very Happy Very Happy Any suggestions on an alternate means of securing the OtterBox to my person ????

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer using the belt clip with the 1900 case as the lanyard isn't too good on a long walk, the box plus PDA is a fair weight and swinging around your neck ain't to good on a long walk, clipped to the belt its easy to access and very secure.

As for the battery life on the GPS unit wait until you have charged/ discharged the device at least five times for it to reach full capacity then see how long it lasts, I was getting over 30 hours with one of these units a couple of years back, great receiver for less than £15 - Mike
BrilliantTrees
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the Lanyard, although I don't tend to wear a belt much so not sure if the clip will be suitable for me but I'll make my mind up soon enough.

I had imagined that the Lanyard would be a shoulder strap type of affair that would allow you to wear the Otterbox much like a Shoulder Bag but if its not then I guess it would just swing around.

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: