Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 940 LIVE freezing and needing multiple reboots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 940 LIVE freezing and needing multiple reboots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Go 940 LIVE freezing and needing multiple reboots Reply with quote

My Go 940 started causing problems a few weeks ago. The first symptom is that the remote stops working and the unit will also not connect to TT Home. Then shortly after it locks up completely and needs a reboot. Over the last few weeks the period between failures has gradually decreased and now it happens every couple of days or so and also it stared needing two reboots before it would restart and more recently three!

I contacted TT Support and after asking a load of pointless questions over about ten days they advised me to take a disc-image back-up, run a windows disk error check (several bad sectors found and repaired) then run TT's flash removal tool and re-install the latest firmware.

The unit seemed to work OK but they forgot to think about my mapshare corrections and they still don't know how to restore them from my back-up, and now today three days on it has frozen again needing a single reboot.

Do I lose patience now, suggest it is not fit for purpose and ask for a replacement, or should I give them yet more chances to deal with the problem?

Has anyone else got any experience of trying to "back" a troublesome unit after four months?
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the files that deal with MapShare downloaded corrections are:
ServerNameIndex.dat,
ServerLineIndex.dat, and
MapServerPatch.dat
(all in your map folder/directory).

And for your own corrections, there is a file in the map directory:
MapUserPatch.dat
This refers to changes in a file in the root directory called:
UserPatch.dat
....which actually contains the details of the changes.

If you delete either file they recreate themselves but if you do not have a matching pair you seem to lose the changes.

Replacing those from your backup should retrieve your corrections, so long as they are restored to the SAME version of the map.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual (but not only) cause for the memory corruptions that you have had to fix is disconnecting the unit when it is still communicating with the PC.

This happens when data is being written and is interupted or when the PC has written some information and the rest is in cache waiting to be written. If the USB is removed or the device removed from the cradle then the data can be corrupted. This is the same for any external memory device.

You must always use "disconnect my device" from within Home or "Safely Remove Hardware" in windows and wait for it to tell you that you can remove device before you remove it.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this problem is still going on and TT are no closer to offering a permanent fix.

I could start getting tough with them or the retailer and demand a replacement but before I go that far I was considering reinstalling an "out the box" full disc image back-up that I took when it was new. Hopefully this would enable me to show to TT that it is either a software or hardware problem depending on whether the unit still has the problem or if it goes away.

Can anyone tell me how to do this reinstall? Is it as simple as wiping the drive and copying my disc image to it or is there more to it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is...
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full re-install now done and it's working OK. I'll see how it goes over the next few days to see if he problem comes back...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: