Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT Go 540 - stuck !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT Go 540 - stuck !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: New TT Go 540 - stuck ! Reply with quote

Hi all - recieved a new TT Go 540 Live today - installed TT Home from the cd, updated the application and maps when I connected it - then after I disconnected it from the cradle / pc it refuses to load up.

From the startup screen it looks like it is showing me it is missing the memory card - didnt think it came with one as TT is preinstalled internally ?

It will not go any further than this screen.

Still shows in TT Home - but is now renamed 'internal' for some reason ?

I have gone through every TT website 'fix' - including reformatting and reinstalling the TT application, but nothing works at all.

Anyone else had this problem or know of a fix ?

Have just requested a returns form from Handtec to see if I can get it replaced.

Gerry
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error suggest the update or maps did not install correctly. The memory card is just that an internal/or external memory error.

Do you have a full backup?
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren - yes - first thing I did was a backup of the device before going through the updates, but even going through the restore from update process I still get the same thing.

I also (after the reformatting and reinstalling of the application) explored the folders in 'my computer' on the pc - all the folders and maps seem to be there ok.
Have tried updating again after the reinstall but still no luck getting the thing to load up TT itself.

I have tried resetting - holding down the start button - and got as far as the black screen with the device details on it - but then it stops and I have to restart.

Stumped by this one !

Sometimes I think it was so much easier when I had Navigator on cd's to load into my Ipaq if things went wrong Very Happy

Probably going to be easier if Handtec will exchange it as I had it less than 24 hours and think I have delved into it as far as I dare and still be able to return it. Everything I have tried so far has been off TomToms website itself.

Gerry
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you do, there are some things we can try. A software update and a map restore.
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go !

Presume you mean from when I put my device in the cradle and TT Home starts and says 'application update required' ?

I should update the TT application
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the update application, if that fails then you can delete the file "ttsystem" from the root of the device using Windows Explorer, then connect it to Home and use the update function, removal of this file will force the device to download/ install a new version of the software - Mike
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - just tried using TT Home - no updates available ( bar voices and speedcams) device is up to date.

So tried deleting the 'ttsystem' file - restarted and still the same - no update and now no ttsystem file !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the file is missing connect the device to TT Home and hit the update button, this should force Home to download and install a new Navcore software to your device - Mike
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should being the operative word - unfortunately not in this case Mike.
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - light at the end of the tunnel I hope - could not get any updates or replacement of the deleted file - so bit the bullet and deleted everything in total by fully formatting the 540 Shocked

Connected to Home again and it showed an update for the TT application, which I downloaded / installed.

Restarted the 540 fully expecting nothing, and iit booted up Very Happy

But of course - it then said no map installed. Using the latest map guarantee in the tools dropdown in Home it said my new map was ready to download, so am doing that as I type.

Will see how it goes and then report back once I have checked what is actually working on the device. Hopefully it retains its Live functions . . .

Gerry
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - it all seems to be working, just no voices installed so no sound yet.

I assume I can just download the camera database as usual (from here) and copy it into the maps folder like my 910 ?

What about sound? Cant be without Liz telling me where the cameras are Very Happy

Have not been able to investigate how to add voices and so on yet !

Gerry
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to download the voices via Home too (in "Add Traffic, Voices, Safety cameras etc.", with separate sections for the recorded voices and the text to speech ones if I remember correctly).

But I would investigate the backup you made before you did any updates... Restoring all the folders from there (excluding any "loose" files i.e. not in a folder and the "Great_Britain" and "map" folders) would be a quicker and more complete solution.

If you think there may be some corruption on the backup, do it one folder at a time, testing the device still works after each one.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts -

1. Was your backup made using Home or Windows Explorer? If you only have a Home backup, then make one using Windows Explorer immediately! Then make frequent additional backups before & after each major software/map update. Obviously, you can then delete older ones as they become obsolete, but I would alway suggest keeping the original backup.

2. Did you disconnect your device using the software before unplugging it from your PC? If not, then that could well have been the cause of your problems. Always use the Home option to Disconnect Device or the Windows function Safely Remove Hardware before unplugging your TomTom.
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, have checked the original backup I made but it seems to be corrupt as Home will not use it.

Have installed a voice via Home though.

Unfortunately as I did a format I now have no LIVE services preinstalled on the device - the trial use/licences are gone - and nothing in the backup points me to anything regarding trial licences to try out Sad
Have emailed TT support with details and so on but dont hold out much hope of getting these back.

Daggers -

Backup was made using Home as soon as I plugged the device in to the pc.

Disconnection - after the first try at updating Home said the device would restart itself, and if not to unplug the device and restart. well it did not restart itself so I unplugged then restarted.

Upon restarting and reconnection all the troubles started.

I found the link to the Windows Explorer backup guide - so will be doing that soonest.

I have downloaded the Liz speedcam voice files - after unzipping them where should I be copying them to ?

I have the pgpsw cam database installed into my map folder.

Regards

Gerry
pyromaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say Handtec authorised a return for me today, so it is going back - very good of them arranging it so fast.

Thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated, but I would still like an answer on how / where to install the Liz speedcam voice files on my next 540 if possible Smile

Regards

Gerry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: