Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade 510 > 520 - Will I be able to move purchased maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade 510 > 520 - Will I be able to move purchased maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Upgrade 510 > 520 - Will I be able to move purchased maps Reply with quote

I'm thinking of updating my TT510 to a 520. Last year I bought the Western Europe maps and would like to move them over, uninstalling from my old TT and installing them on the new one.

Is this do-able?

Ta
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not.

Maps, when installed, are locked to a specific device.
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Afraid not.

Censored!

I thought that would be the case but thanks for replying.
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange thing happened last night. I put a blank SD Card in my 520, sync'd it with the PC and it told me that I had the new application software and my Western Europe maps to download. After a couple of hours (!?!), it all installed to the card and it all appears to work absolutely fine

Except.....

The only thing is that none of the voices work when I run the TT off the card, everything works fine when I run the unit with no card installed but it's all silent when I put the card in.

I can live with this, just use the normal maps day to day over here and live with the silence over in Europe but I was wondering if there is something obvious I'm missing. I've tried factory reset, enable / disable speaker and most of the obvious stuff but still no joy.

Any suggestions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the voices folder to the SD card, I don't think the unit is clever enough to locate the voices in Flash Memory when the application/ map is on the card, or if you are using a computer voice copy the LoquendoTTS folder to the memory card - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea whether the following has any relevance to your situation or not, but ...

Some users here in North America, upon upgrading their maps on an x20 model, find the speech functionality gone.

Turns out that in installing the new map, Home in it's 'wisdom', rather than throwing out the message about inability to install since there isn't enough space on the unit, copies over enough of the actual map files to make it functional but does not copy over the required csspeechxx.dat files.

So, look at the new map using Explorer. Does the map folder contain csspeech.dat files? If yes, then what I've said isn't the issue. Simply try a pin reset with the card installed and see if that helps.

If the speech files aren't there, then again using Explorer, look where your downloaded map is stored on the computer. The map file will be zipped. Use winzip or similar and see if the files are in that map folder. If so, extract and copy to the map folder on the card.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox2319 wrote:
dhn wrote:
Afraid not.

Censored!
I thought that would be the case but thanks for replying.
This isn't necessarily so. IF (and I usually advise against it***) you change your account from the 510 to the 520, the maps you've downloaded will be useable on the new unit. Best scenario is if the map was downloaded less than 12 months ago, because you'll be able to download it again, this time to the 520.

*** I usually advise against it if you are keeping the 510. If you are getting rid of it, then changing your account is the way to go.

I recently was able to load a v675 map which I bought for my GO710 April 2007 onto my New Toy, HTC Advantage X7510 with TT Navigator 6 in the above manner. You may need to use Home v1.5 to view the Product Code on the map stored on your PC (latest Home v2.3.1.xxx doesn't show that).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Some users here in North America, upon upgrading their maps on an x20 model, find the speech functionality gone.

Turns out that in installing the new map, Home in it's 'wisdom', rather than throwing out the message about inability to install since there isn't enough space on the unit, copies over enough of the actual map files to make it functional but does not copy over the required csspeechxx.dat files.

So, look at the new map using Explorer. Does the map folder contain csspeech.dat files? If yes, then what I've said isn't the issue. Simply try a pin reset with the card installed and see if that helps.

If the speech files aren't there, then again using Explorer, look where your downloaded map is stored on the computer. The map file will be zipped. Use winzip or similar and see if the files are in that map folder. If so, extract and copy to the map folder on the card.

Thanks for the reply. I tried this using a fresh 4GB SDHC card, no change I'm afraid. All the cssoeech.dat files appeared to be there but I extracted the zip file there anyway. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with a silent TT and europop whenever I go continental next.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried what I suggested earlier in the thread? Rolling Eyes - Mike
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you tried what I suggested earlier in the thread? Rolling Eyes - Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I should have said that yes I've tried copying the folder. I've even tried changing voices between TTS and the normal voices and nothing is heard during the test or when I press the bottom left area on the 'normal' screen.

I get the impression that there must be some sort of database somewhere that links the voice files to the spoken instructions that is missing but can't see it anywhere.

Ta

- Edit -

I've just reformatted the card and connected to TT Home. It's now telling me that it needs to download all the usual stuff, incl the Western Europe map and a bunch of voices. I'll let it carry on and do it's stuff and will report back on the results when it's finished (at least an hour away...)
fox2319
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Sorted Now Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's now resolved itself.

I had originally tried to install using a 2GB SD card which seemed to be big enough. Last night I repeated with a 4GB SDHC card and everything appears to have downloaded absolutely fine, the voices all work etc.

I'm using the UK map for day to day stuff over here as it's more recent (7.15 vs 7.10) and will use the other when I go to europe next.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: