Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I force a recalcuate on Nuvi760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I force a recalcuate on Nuvi760?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: How do I force a recalcuate on Nuvi760? Reply with quote

Hi there - I just bought a Nuvi760 and tried it out on a recent trip to France. While it worked ok there were two times where I got into trouble and couldn't get the device to behave properly. I have returned from the trip read the online manual and found it pretty poor, so am looking for help.

I was travelling down from Calais to Epernay and had setup a saved route that we were following, and we wanted to stop for lunch. Seeing a city coming up on the map I tapped on it, and it offered to add a waypoint. Great we thought, and it took us off the motorway and guided us into town. In town I shut it off as I hadn't put more specific directions so its route was a bit meaningless. After lunch, got back in the car, put the device on, got a satelite lock but then it didn't offer any directions to continue to Epernay - it had some meaningless text at the top like "Travel to A20" and there was no pink line on the screen. We started drive but had no idea where to go, and it just didn't recalculate and offer directions. After about a minute I set a new route, just to Eprnay and then then it immediately started giving directions? So what did i do wrong?

I had a similar problem when we arrived - the road was closed when we got there - and the device thought we had arrived. We had to turn down a side street, so I clicked on the saved route, said No to navigate to start point and again it had some meaningless direction on the top line and refused to recalculate - again after a minute no directions, so again I had to select Naviage To - and put in my destination and again it quickly seemed to recalculate and give directions.

So what am I doing wrong - is the Saved Routes functionality broken? Is there something I can do to get it to recalcualte to use the route I have preplanned (this seemed like a great feature - plan some routes up front and then use them).

Tim
macta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do I force a recalcuate on Nuvi760? Reply with quote

In answer to my question - pressing Menu, Detour will cause a recalculate. Not sure why you need to do this - it seems wrong to me, but if you are stuck this at least gives you some directions.

Tim
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point of the Detour function. If you come across standing traffic, roadworks or any other bloackage you can ask for a new route.

How is this "wrong"?
macta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
How is this "wrong"?

I don't think you should have to press detour when you load a route and answer No to the question "do you want to start from the beginning".

Its utterly confusing that after this - you get a message telling you to go to a street that you don't know, and get no hints on how to get there (e.g. no pink line or arrow). I would expect that when loading the route it would guide you to the nearest waypoint automatically. Instead you are stuck in this mode of no feedback for a long time (more than 2 or more minutes) which is very confusing.

I only by accident discovered that if you pick menu, detour it will force a recalculate and then give you some useful directions. It also looks like it doesn't screw up your waypoints (which is great).

So for new users like me, this is a great tip - but quite confusing. (When I got caught by it the first time, I ended up having to pull over and replan a new route from where I was - essentially redoing all my careful prework)

Tim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: